Yoga?

9,639 Views | 186 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BlackGoldAg2011
Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's an underlying assumption that isn't being addressed.

To wit: is it possible to have physical and spiritual linked. If the answer is no, you can strip any physical action from its spiritual meaning. If the answer is yes, you simply can't by your intent.

If it is actually possible to link the two, you either need to say people doing the exact same physical activity are also engaging in the spiritual, or anyone doing the physical activity never was - their spiritual involvement was through meaning, belief, intent.

Everything else is noise.

Hence, is a screw a screw because I turn it? Or because of the physical form it has regardless of how I may intent to use it? Hitting a screw with a hammer doesn't make it a nail.
Aggrad08
AG
Zobel said:

To wit: is it possible to have physical and spiritual linked. If the answer is no, you can strip any physical action from its spiritual meaning. If the answer is yes, you simply can't by your intent.

That doesn't follow as the physical may only be linked to spiritual by intent. In fact this seems most probable or else people of all beliefs would feel linked to Hindu spiritual entities and I don't think that's the case. If it is there should be countless examples of linking to various spiritual entities by certain positions, including ones contrary to their beliefs.

Or, if we entertain that certain physical movements open us to the spiritual world why must it be centric to certain gods? Could the Holy Spirit not work though the same link? Bowed heads and closed eyes are ubiquitous in religion. If we say that this position helps link to spiritual it seems silly to say it only links to the religion that did it first own that link.

Quote:

If it is actually possible to link the two, you either need to say people doing the exact same physical activity are also engaging in the spiritual, or anyone doing the physical activity never was - their spiritual involvement was through meaning, belief, intent.

Again read ramblins post
Quote:

Everything else is noise.

Well no. Because you first tried to argue the meaning was a sort of sign language. In so far as that we can simply assert that language changes and in this instance most certainly has in western contexts.
Zobel
AG
You're aggressively arguing the second point - physical linked only by intent, which makes the physical form irrelevant.

I think reason that's incorrect is linked in part to the language form.

But in this post you're more or less saying that people who do believe in yoga as a spiritual practice are wrong, and people who dont are right. Because people who believe in yoga as a spiritual practice absolutely believe the physical and spiritual are linked. Which is kinda interesting, or perhaps incredibly arrogant.
Aggrad08
AG
I gave examples as to why I think the first is wrong, none of which you addressed. That link, if you are correct should work for people of all faiths and link them to Hindu gods, I certainly haven't noticed. And If those positions only link to Hindu spirits why do other positions exists more ubiquitously like closed eyes and a bowed head?

And I gave the example of bowed heads. The form here is possibly relevant. That certainly doesn't mean the first religion to use it owns it

Of course I think yoga has no link to the spiritual I don't think that exists. You likely believe they are conversing with demons.
But I'm saying if there is such a link I see no coherent argument as to why one religion should own it.
Zobel
AG
So.. you agree with option two. Why are you still arguing?
Aggrad08
AG
I think start to finish your reading comprehension is wanting on this thread.

I'm saying your interpretation is problematic given either option as you are without basis making the proposed physical links exclusionary without basis or reason.

So even if I grant what appears to be a poorly evidenced and problematic option two, your argument that Christians shouldn't participate is weak.
Zobel
AG
I think start to finish having an argument about the link between physical and spiritual with a person who is a committed materialist is a waste of time. It's the only distinction that matters in this case.

Also, I bet if you try harder you could be even more arrogant here. Maybe you should critique my reading comprehension some more?
Aggrad08
AG
The irony is you thinking I'm the arrogant one here. And materialism had nothing to do with it since I granted your premise.

You more or less refused to actually engage in any conversation here with most anyone who responded to you. You made no attempt to comprehend the arguments or address them.

I actually think it was rather deliberate as you quickly saw that those roads don't end well for you and you've quickly reverted to whatever this nonsense is.

Zobel
AG
Knew you could do it if you tried. Congrats.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Zobel said:

K, please tell me which physical poses of yoga aren't religious. After that we can make a secular version of the sign of the cross, and a screw without threads.

Adho Mukha Vrksasana, also known as a handstand.

Seen also in gymnastics, dance, and general calisthenics. Do I think Olympic gymnasts are all worshipping Hindu gods when performing floor exercises? I do not. Do I think yogis doing handstands are worshipping Hindu gods? Absolutely. The difference is context and intent.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zobel
AG
Then I agree, you can do that without doing yoga.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
First, I appreciate this discussion and how civil it has remained. It has caused me to genuinely reevaluate my thoughts on yoga specifically but also religious practices generally. So for that thank y'all

Second, when around yoga, and especially silly variants like goat yoga, I can't help but feel like Woody Harrelson in this scene:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.