P - Making sense of mass murderers

1,078 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Dad-O-Lot
Dad-O-Lot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AstroAg17 said:

Where does motivation fit into your 3 criteria? Someone can have the capability, capacity, and opportunity for some action and decide not to do it.
I would consider it a transient aspect of capacity. "I have the capacity, just not right now"
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
americathegreat1492
I am personally interested in a discussion of the capacity factor of your model. In particular, I am interested in WHY they have this capacity. You said in another post that motivation falls in there, which can make sense from a perspective. One way to phrase the discussion is to say "WHAT is their motivation?" Another way is to say "What is the reason they are doing this?" I think a discussion of the kinds of motivation is warranted. Common themes across them could be good indicators of causes. One theme I see in many but not all is the theme of resentment. If you look into some of these people's manifestos, there is a sense of an incredible amount of resentment over that person's lot in life or even the nature of life itself. These shootings seem to be some sort of act of vengeance, an attempt to destroy not just a life or many lives, but life itself. Certainly, there is an element of the desire to destroy their own life as well since many of them take their own lives right before they're caught. Perhaps that is part of their plan all along. This isn't to deny or disregard causes associated with biology. Some people are predisposed to behave in certain ways, or to have a lack of inhibition about certain behaviors. These are almost certainly a common theme in why they are motivated to engage in these sorts of acts.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
americathegreat1492 said:

I am personally interested in a discussion of the capacity factor of your model. In particular, I am interested in WHY they have this capacity. You said in another post that motivation falls in there, which can make sense from a perspective. One way to phrase the discussion is to say "WHAT is their motivation?" Another way is to say "What is the reason they are doing this?" I think a discussion of the kinds of motivation is warranted. Common themes across them could be good indicators of causes. One theme I see in many but not all is the theme of resentment. If you look into some of these people's manifestos, there is a sense of an incredible amount of resentment over that person's lot in life or even the nature of life itself. These shootings seem to be some sort of act of vengeance, an attempt to destroy not just a life or many lives, but life itself. Certainly, there is an element of the desire to destroy their own life as well since many of them take their own lives right before they're caught. Perhaps that is part of their plan all along. This isn't to deny or disregard causes associated with biology. Some people are predisposed to behave in certain ways, or to have a lack of inhibition about certain behaviors. These are almost certainly a common theme in why they are motivated to engage in these sorts of acts.
I think the complexity of this part of the equation is tremendous. Capacity to kill could be a transient thing, or it could be a permanent state. It may change based upon a given subject or potential victim. In specific instances, motivation would definitely be a big factor.

I think this is where psychology would have an important role.
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.