On Heroic Self-Sacrifice: a London Park Devoted to Those Most Worth Remembering

1,123 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PacifistAg
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I love this idea, especially in a time when people scream bloody murder about statues honoring those who took life. The Memorial to Heroic Self-Sacrifice, the product of painter George Frederic Watts, honors those everyday people who gave their lives in an attempt to save others.
schmendeler
AG
"Heroism, in those days, was regarded as a product of character and hence, at least to a degree, of breeding; it was something one would expect of a gentleman but be surprised to find in his servant. Watts was determined to drive home the point that it could be found everywhere."
Clem
RetiredAg said:

I love this idea, especially in a time when people scream bloody murder about statues honoring those who took life. The Memorial to Heroic Self-Sacrifice, the product of painter George Frederic Watts, honors those everyday people who gave their lives in an attempt to save others.
That is awesome!
Solo Tetherball Champ
Next time you're in DC you should visit the Titanic Memorial.

Something like 20% of the men survived, allowing 80% of the women and children.

PacifistAg
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

I'll have to check that out. Will likely be going up in June.
Clem

I worry those values are passing on into history.
PacifistAg
AG
Clem said:

I worry those values are passing on into history.
Honestly, I don't think so. Maybe to some degree, but I think being put into a similar situation, you'd see the bulk of men give up their spot for women and children. ***edit*** now that I've thought about it some, I do think you'd probably see a much lower number give up their spots for women and children today, but I still think it would still be over half that were willing to die in order to save women and children.

But, I also think that, if the Titanic sank today, you'd see far more survive because the values have changed to where the poor aren't so easily discarded as they were back then.
swimmerbabe11
RetiredAg said:

when people scream bloody murder about statues honoring those who took life.

I don't know why but this phrasing kinda cracked me up.

I like this thread alot though.
UTExan
I hope they will include RAF pilots who battled against desperate odds during the Battle of Britain.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
PacifistAg
AG
UTExan said:

I hope they will include RAF pilots who battled against desperate odds during the Battle of Britain.

Probably not, considering the park was completed in 1900.

Although approximately 70 spots remain, the park is aimed not towards soldiers, but everyday people that engage in acts of "remarkable heroism". Soldiers and fighters already have their countless monuments.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.