** Poll and Inquiry: Traditonal Latin Mass Support for St Mary's **

3,541 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 747Ag
texag_89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Catholic Ags:

Howdy and Pax Dominus Vobiscum,

Although I have had a very cursory discussion with the powers that be at St. Mary's in Aggieland, I have been putting out feelers regarding both Spiritual and Monetary support to form a Trust that would finance the Priestly/Server training, vestments and altar accoutrements for a perpetual Mass of Pope Pius V at St. Mary's.

It is my belief that if there is a public university in America that would embrace the Mass of Ages, it would be Texas A&M and the 15,000+ Catholics on-campus.

So, I am just starting the conversation and attempting to gauge the interest of such support that would allow the full and historic Traditions of The Church to come to full bloom for Aggie Catholics by providing another Liturgical option at St. Mary's.

If you attend a TLM or are friendly to the idea at St. Mary's, then let it be known here and please also let your potential monetary support to be known as well.

Please also pass this inquiry along to any other Ags who might be in favor of assisting in this effort.

Again, there is nothing in place or approved for such a Trust or Mass as of yet at St. Mary"s, but to gather some anecdotal evidence here will help me start down this path.

A return to Christendom can start in Aggieland with future Catholic Ags!

Lex Orandi, Lex Credendi, Lex Vivendi!!

Thank you for your input,
_89

texag_89
Oopps... (In Topic header). *Traditional.

Sorry, not sure if I can change that now before the spelling nazis come out of the woodwork.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
A full blown, Tridentine Latin mass or a novus ordo mass in Latin?
texag_89
TLM as promulgated as traditional and the Mass of Ages by Pope St. Pius V at the Council of Trent.

The Mass referred to in Pope Benedict's Moto Propio (sp?) as the Extraordinary Form.

texag_89
Those of you that are Eastern Rite Catholics - and there are several former Western Rite that have made the move here - your participation is very welcomed as although the chances of a Divine Liturgy being accessible to students in BSC is slim, you can help to promote Tradition via the TLM.

Thx
_89
Zobel
AG
There already is a Divine Liturgy available at St Silouan.
747Ag
AG
I support the wider use of the Vetus Ordo, especially at Saint Mary's.
texag_89
Assuming that is Eastern Orthodox and not Byzantine Catholic, correct?
wbt5845
AG
The TLM bores me, and I was an Altar Boy prior to 1970. I go to the Ordinary Form of the Mass because that is the one the Church prefers us to go to (hence the reason it is the Ordinary Form).
texag_89
In my estimation Pope Benedict did the TLM a disservice and really applied the terms assigned to the Masses in an inorganic and illogical manner.

The Mass of Pope St Pius V (as it is called not because he invented or formulated it, but rather because of his championing of the Holy Sacrifice in the Counter-Revolution as manifest at the Council of Trent) should be, imho, the Ordinary Form in title, term and in use, and the Novus Ordo the Extraordinary in the same manner...... but alas that was and is not the case.

Not a fan of the connotation inherent within nor the term of the Old Order, Vetus Ordo.

However, I do welcome your support and please pray that the Trust will be openly accepted and supported.

Thx!

texag_89
Wbt...

Thank you for your service to Holy Mother Church.

Despite my reservations on "the NO Mass is the one the church wants us to go to", what about the TLM bores you or what is available in the NO that does not bore you?

Just curious.

Thx
_89
wbt5845
AG
The EF Mass has large sections in Latin, which I don't speak. I have to read a missal.

With the OF Mass, I can understand the Mass without needing a missal.

BTW - I appreciate your resistance to "poo-poo-ing" the OF. But the next OF mass goer I meet in person who never poo-poos the OF will be the first.

And with respect to Mass titles - it has nothing to do with "Ordinary" as in "plain" and "Extraordinary" as in "way wicked cool". "Ordinary" means that which is the standard, i.e., preferred, taught, baseline - the STANDARD - form. "Extraordinary" is exactly right for what is also called the TLM - a Mass which, while valid, is outside the form of what is ordinarily done.

When a Catholic chooses to always attend the Extraordinary Form, he is choosing to separate himself from the Ordinary Form, which separates him from mainstream Catholicism. I personally don't think it's healthy for a Catholic to always attend the EF because it has been shown over the last few decades to usually leads to schism and heresy.

(p.s. - I have a classmate who is a priest in the SSPX which probably biases by answers).
jkag89
Don't feed the !
wbt5845
AG
jkag89 said:

Don't feed the !
That's not fair. I actually did kinda start to make a trollish response but then cleaned it up. I mean just what I said.

My mind wanders at the EF masses I've been to. Only gripe I have with most OF masses is the music stinks. But that's not because the Mass was OF - that's because the music stank.
texag_89
Appreciate your reply and I definitely understand the definition of Ordinary - the norm - vs Extraordinary - above or beyond the norm.

And, I do not agree with your assessment of the TLM leading to schism as there are those of us that see the Holy Roman Mass like a coin with 2 sides - same Church with 2 Forms.

And of course, from 33ad-1967ad that coin had identical sides which would lead me to believe that the prominence of the TLM and its organic growth over 19 centuries would earn it or warrant the label of Ordinary, but the Council Fathers and later Pope Benedict, via his MP, thought otherwise.

Despite our differences, I wholly encourage both forms at St. Mary's....... Would you not support both or would you repress the TLM for those Aggie students who prefer it's ancient Liturgy?

Thx
_89

wbt5845
AG
I do nothing to repress the OF - I simply choose not to support it.

Yeah, I knew you would disagree with my comments regarding schism and heresy. But the facts bear out that those who clung to the TLM, which later became the EF, did leave the Church. (Sidebar: the SSPX may say they never left, but you gotta admit they've taken a circuitous path around the Church).

I really do believe those who exclusively go to the EF eventually start to resent the OF and the rest of the Church because - so far - that's what's always happened. I really hope I'm wrong, but history says otherwise.
texag_89
Quote:

I really do believe those who exclusively go to the EF eventually start to resent the OF and the rest of the Church because - so far - that's what's always happened. I really hope I'm wrong, but history says otherwise

So, you are saying "by their fruits ye shall know them"? ..... Fair statement or assessment of your words above??

wbt5845
AG
texag_89 said:

Quote:

I really do believe those who exclusively go to the EF eventually start to resent the OF and the rest of the Church because - so far - that's what's always happened. I really hope I'm wrong, but history says otherwise
So, you are saying "by their fruits ye shall know them"? ..... Fair statement or assessment of your words above??
Sure.
texag_89
Some make the same case for the results of the latest Council and the Mass in which it foisted upon the world.

However, I don't want to deviate from my original post and purpose here.

Going to chalk you up as a non-supporter and ask for your prayers for His Will to be done.

Fair enough?

God Bless you sir.

_89
Zobel
AG
Sure, but there's no difference in the Divine Liturgy. They just will commemorate their metropolitan and not the pope in the Litany.
texag_89
K2,

I see your humor here and can say I do appreciate the attempt...

There is the Authority issue for sure....... and just one other small issue, but who is counting.

Tell you what, if I am ever in Aggieland where every Catholic Church is closed Sunday morning, I will come see you for my Sunday obligation..... In a pinch, it can count.

PS: I do love the Liturgy named after the great Papist, St. John Chrysostom!!

Zobel
AG
Well, Byzantine Catholics say the creed without the Filioque so honestly other than the pope thing I can't think of a difference.

PS lol that's not true but if you want me to demonstrate you can start a new thread (it's been discussed here before)
texag_89
Appreciate you not hijacking this thread by that offer as this thread does have a purpose well beyond discussing historic defections of certain ethnic, ecclesial groups

Zobel
AG
Yeah those Germans are the worst am I right?
texag_89
Amen Brother!!

POTD Nomination above!!!
jkag89
k2aggie07 said:

Yeah those Germans are the worst am I right?
jkag89

My apologies but you do have a record of trollish behavior on this board.
747Ag
AG
Quote:

I really do believe those who exclusively go to the EF eventually start to resent the OF and the rest of the Church because - so far - that's what's always happened. I really hope I'm wrong, but history says otherwise.
This isn't always the case. My former EF community is mostly full of people that have no resentment towards the OF. The "resenters" are the exception rather than the rule there.
schmendeler
AG
which one has the best hats? I need to know before weighing in.
texag_89
This is my experience as well.
747Ag
AG
schmendeler said:

Best hats are always on the traditional route... EF. TLM. They tend to break out all the bells and whistles.

Side note: Here in Florida, the TLM is harder for us to get to, so we attend a OF Mass with more traditional music. Our pastor told my kids to not be afraid of tradition... It's our birthright. He said this while wearing a nearly 300 year old fiddleback chasuble.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
To me the Ordinary form is the tradiational form... as I was brought into the church in 2012. So I'll just keep with what I know.

Best of luck to ya and the other Latineers. I have no dog on the fight.
schmendeler
AG
747Ag said:

schmendeler said:

Best hats are always on the traditional route... EF. TLM. They tend to break out all the bells and whistles.

Side note: Here in Florida, the TLM is harder for us to get to, so we attend a OF Mass with more traditional music. Our pastor told my kids to not be afraid of tradition... It's our birthright. He said this while wearing a nearly 300 year old fiddleback chasuble.

Sounds pretty trill
747Ag
AG
schmendeler said:

747Ag said:

schmendeler said:

Sounds pretty trill
Just ask Fr. Kenny...
texag_89
Happy Feast of St. Athanasius to all.

From one of the great Son's of the Church ever born!! Take heart and keep the Faith, Tradition and what has been handed down!!

http://www.olrl.org/snt_docs/athnasus.shtml

"Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition are reduced to a handful, they are the ones who are the true Church of Jesus Christ."

The words of the great Saint, who saved the Church, ring just as true today as in the 4th Century!!

St. Athanaius, Ora pro Nobis!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.