Lighten up: Bill Nye

4,088 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by kurt vonnegut
Coog97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tyson's presentation has "crocodile" misspelled.

Freaking delicious.
kurt vonnegut
AG
nu awlins ag said:

Quote:

So once you understand that humans are warming the planet, you can then have a political conversation about that.....those have political answers...."
So this is a scientific fact?

Here is a fact:
Man made pollution has had negative consequences which has harmed the environment, animals, and ourselves.

I think environmentalists do a dis-serve to their cause by framing the discussion solely around a particular issue which is split so cleanly down party lines.
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

Man made pollution has had negative consequences which has harmed the environment, animals, and ourselves.
Maybe evolution should have thought about that before giving us brains.
nu awlins ag
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

nu awlins ag said:

Quote:

So once you understand that humans are warming the planet, you can then have a political conversation about that.....those have political answers...."

Here is a fact:

I think environmentalists do a dis-serve to their cause by framing the discussion solely around a particular issue which is split so cleanly down party lines.
Ok, but has it proven that man has made the temperatures rise? I agree man has harmed the environment through pollution such as trash etc.
Martin Q. Blank
kurt vonnegut
AG
nu awlins ag said:

kurt vonnegut said:

nu awlins ag said:

Quote:

Here is a fact:

Ok, but has it proven that man has made the temperatures rise? I agree man has harmed the environment through pollution such as trash etc.

I feel that "trash, etc." maybe somewhat trivializing the matter just a bit. But, I digress. . . .

Is it proven that man has made temperatures rise? Depends where you set the bar. If you set the bar high enough, I can't prove that the landfill near my town was man made. I'm afraid to use the word 'prove' in this conversation because I don't know where you set the bar.

I consider the measurable changes in climate, measurable affects we have on the atmosphere, and what we know about how those changed conditions within the atmosphere may affect climate and then I conclude that there is very strong reason to suspect a link man made pollution with climate change. How much has it affected the climate? Will the seas rise? Is half the land mass going to be submerged? Are we going to tumble into an ice age overnight? I can't answer these, I'm not qualified to. I think these questions miss a bigger point about environmental responsibility.

We need energy. Coal is useful to this end, but creates pollution. We should strive to be more efficient with our energy use and we should pursue less polluting means of creating energy. Seems pretty simple and straight forward. Who could object to that? Apparently about 50% of the country.

Its funny to me how hard some people sell the importance of personal responsibility, social responsibility, and understanding the consequences of our actions. And its funny how often those people would see all environmental regulation tossed out like trash, etc.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.