Vaccinations and Personal Freedom

3,076 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by NonReg85
Post removed:
by user
Woody2006
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

I think (hope) we can all agree that vaccinations are good.
Sure, if you want to exponentially increase the incidence of autism.
Aggrad08
AG

Quote:

People can do what they want, just don't let unvaccinated kids into public school.
Or public universities. You can home school, you can't home college. I think this would take the hold-outs down to a manageable number.
Star Wars Memes Only
Despite herd immunity considerations, I probably fall into camp 1.
PacifistAg
AG
Aggrad08 said:

Quote:

People can do what they want, just don't let unvaccinated kids into public school.
Or public universities. You can home school, you can't home college. I think this would take the hold-outs down to a manageable number.
Online college?
Post removed:
by user
Martin Q. Blank
Trump University
Star Wars Memes Only
Woody2006 said:

Quote:

PacifistAg
AG
I'm in camp 1. Not an anti-vaxxer by any stretch of the imagination (our kids receive them), and being a voluntaryist, I am not much a fan of public schooling.
Aggrad08
AG
I think that's highly limited. Private school is still an (expensive) option, but they might follow suit.
Woody2006
AG
AstroAg17 said:

I was bothered more by the use of "exponential" than I was by the insinuation that vaccines cause autism.
http://www.stopmandatoryvaccination.com/vaccine-dangers/
Quote:

The Dangers Of Vaccines and Vaccination
Vaccination is a medical treatment administered to an otherwise healthy individual. Virtually all other invasive medical interventions occur only once someone has fallen ill. Vaccination, like most medical treatments, can involve some risk. And therefore it should be undertaken only after careful consideration of its risks versus its benefits.
The dangers of vaccines are real, can be substantial and life-long, and for some, life ending. Additionally vaccines:
  • have not been subject to toxicity studies for many of the ingredients such as aluminum and mercury, which are known neurotoxins
  • have not been studied for adverse effects in the combinations in which they're given (multiple shots in a single day for infants and children)
  • cannot be guaranteed to provide the benefit of immunity for which they are given
  • are used to "prevent" benign childhood diseases, diseases which actually "teach" the immune system how to work properly

Quote:

Vaccines Are Unavoidably Unsafe
According to the US Food and Drug Administration, safety assessments for vaccines have not often included toxicity studies because vaccines have not been viewed as inherently toxic. Yet vaccines are legally defined as unavoidably unsafe.
It is not just childhood vaccines that come with substantial risk. Influenza vaccines, vaccines for sexually transmitted diseases, and others contain similar risks for adverse events. Also troubling is that vaccination is recommended now for pregnant women, even though vaccine package inserts clearly state they have not been tested on pregnant women, so the effects on the fetus can't be known.
In the 1960s only a handful of childhood vaccines were given. The current CDC recommended vaccine schedule for children now has over 30 vaccines by the time a child turns 6 and an additional potential for up to 30 more by the time they reach 18. Could this increase be linked to our declining health? For example, currently:
  • One in six children in the US has a learning disability
  • Over 50% suffer from some type of chronic illness.
  • Cancer is the leading cause of death in our children
  • Autism rates have soared from 1 in 10,000 in 1990 to 1 in 68 today
Since genetic mutations change slowly over generations, we must look to environmental causes for these changes. While other environmental toxins certainly are at play in these statistics, disregarding the potential role to the amounts of toxin injected into children through vaccines is not only bad public policy, it is bad science. By disregarding the role of vaccines in our statistics for infant mortality and chronic diseases, we could be doing more harm than good in mandating, or even advising, them.
Post removed:
by user
Martin Q. Blank
If you didn't already think Nicolas Cage sucks,

Star Wars Memes Only
That entire article cites only one scientific study, and it is 42 years old. Why do you find its claims credible when they fly in the face of the large majority of the scientific community?
PacifistAg
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

If you didn't already think Nicolas Cage sucks,

Hahahaha that's great!
Woody2006
AG
dargscisyhp said:

That entire article cites only one scientific study, and it is 42 years old. Why do you find its claims credible when they fly in the face of the large majority of the scientific community?
You mean the scientific community that is in bed with Big pharma and Big gov. looking for that grant money?

No thank you. I get my science from those not compromised by leftish brainwashing.
Post removed:
by user
diehard03
Regardless of Woodys trolling (or not), this does concern me...from a manufacturing/safety/business standpoint: National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act.

Whether or not it was caused by a correlating condition or the vaccine itself, the net effect is still that pharma companies are protected and they leveraged our government into doing it by threatening to discontinue the products. If my company was protected from litigation, I know EXACTLY how our quality controls would change.

We do also have lots of vaccinations at a young age and I find pediatricians way too flippant about the whole situation. They don't seem to know or care enough to know about potential issues as they do other medications. For me, it's more about "how" the conversation is going rather, I guess.
Woody2006
AG
I thought it was obvious, but apparently the Smirnoff Ice drinkers among us are having trouble with satire today.
Post removed:
by user
Macarthur
Woody2006 said:

Quote:

Well, that didn't take long.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

We do also have lots of vaccinations at a young age and I find pediatricians way too flippant about the whole situation. They don't seem to know or care enough to know about potential issues as they do other medications.

You will not find a more expert person on the subject of childhood vaccines than your ordinary pediatrician, because they spend so much time every week arguing with parents who think vaccines are bad. Excepting the HPV vaccine and Hepatitis B vaccine, every single childhood immunization effectively prevents a disease that causes either death or permanent disability. The HPV vaccine prevents cancer from HPV, and the hepatitis B vaccine prevents adult liver failure from hepatitis B.

Vaccines don't cause autism, or really anything else at a population signficant level. But even if they did, it's still a better option than blindness (measles), deafness (measles), infertility (mumps and rubella), birth defects (rubella and varicella), paralysis (tetanus and polio), and death (tetanus, diptheria, pertussis, varicella, pneumococcus, rotavirus, hemophilus, meningococcal meningitis, hepatitis A, influenza)

And count me in the mandatory vaccinaton camp. You choosing not to vaccinate your children is a wonder exercise in personal freedom until your kid facilitates the spread of a largely eradicated disease due to exposure to some 3rd world immigrant or traveler. See Disneyland and measles just a few years ago. We're 99% of the way to eradicating polio worldwide, but one infected kid traveling to Oregon and it's right back in the US again.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Which vaccinations?

By what age?

The current "all or nothing" approach found within the vaccination rhetoric is ridiculous.
diehard03
Quote:

You will not find a more expert person on the subject of childhood vaccines than your ordinary pediatrician, because they spend so much time every week arguing with parents who think vaccines are bad.

Not really. There's no real argument. You get thrown out of the practice if you refuse their schedule or even want to delay significantly. I don't blame them - they can run their practice as they see fit.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

Not really. There's no real argument. You get thrown out of the practice if you refuse their schedule or even want to delay significantly. I don't blame them - they can run their practice as they see fit.
Just because a pediatrician doesn't want to waste their valuable time (and the time of other patients) trying to explain the rationale, show the evidence, and debunk all the nonsense when the people asking have already made up their minds, doesn't mean they don't know an insane amount about this subject.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
swimmerbabe11
definitely in camp 2

Also, make it like vaccinating your dogs. Can't take them to the dog park, dog boarding places, events etc. If you want to buy tickets to disney land, day care, six flags, etc, gotta show proof of vacc.
Star Wars Memes Only
I'm curious, if sufficient evidence could be shown that banning guns significantly reduced the overall homicide rate would you guys also be okay with the government taking control on this point? What about controlling certain forms of speech or ideas if not promulgating those ideas made society safer? What about certain religions? If not, but you're okay with government mandated vaccines because it increases the overall safety of society this seems incongruous to me.
diehard03
Quote:

Just because a pediatrician doesn't want to waste their valuable time (and the time of other patients) trying to explain the rationale, show the evidence, and debunk all the nonsense when the people asking have already made up their minds, doesn't mean they don't know an insane amount about this subject.

The patient is paying for that time, no? They should be sharing that information. Yes, it's a voluntary exchange on both sides...and I don't agree with people telling the doctor what they learned on some blog.
Macarthur
Similar subjects have come up over there on the board that shall remain nameless and I always find it interesting when the freedom at all cost folks chime in.

It is a plain and simple fact that there is no such thing as absolute freedom and there never will be. Those folks live in the same fantasy land they accuse the 'libs'.
diehard03
Quote:

if sufficient evidence could be shown that banning guns significantly reduced the overall homicide rate would you guys also be okay with the government taking control on this point?

I would think that everyone would agree that if guns never existed at all, our homocide rates would be lower.
Star Wars Memes Only
diehard03 said:

Quote:

if sufficient evidence could be shown that banning guns significantly reduced the overall homicide rate would you guys also be okay with the government taking control on this point?

I would think that everyone would agree that if guns never existed at all, our homocide rates would be lower.

Probably.
diehard03
Quote:

Vaccines don't cause autism, or really anything else at a population signficant level. But even if they did, it's still a better option than blindness (measles), deafness (measles), infertility (mumps and rubella), birth defects (rubella and varicella), paralysis (tetanus and polio), and death (tetanus, diptheria, pertussis, varicella, pneumococcus, rotavirus, hemophilus, meningococcal meningitis, hepatitis A, influenza)

Sorry, coming back to this. Then, they basically don't need protection from the government and need to held to the same standards as all other pharmaceuticals. (Again, not claiming they cause autism or are bad in any way. Just seems unnecessary)
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.