No Religion = Peace

6,472 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Sapper Redux
oldarmy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Imagine no John Lennon
It's easy if you try
See God said its appointed
For all men once to die

Imagine all the people...living hopeless lies

Oo ooo ohh.... one day they will see Him
But too late it will be
Their foolish eyes will open
As they take a bended knee
Sapper Redux
A lot of religious people seem almost giddy at the idea of nonbelievers being punished after death.
oldarmy1
AG
I must have struck a nerve....or was it a "chord".
Sapper Redux
oldarmy1 said:

oldarmy1
AG
Dr. Watson said:

oldarmy1 said:

boboguitar
AG
No religion + free market capitalism.
oldarmy1
AG
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."~Ronald Reagan
FlyFish95
So the next time someone robs a liquor store and kills a clerk in the process, and it has nothing to do with religion, we can blame atheism. We can blame lack of religion for a lot of crime and violence.
schmendeler
AG
DryFly said:

So the next time someone robs a liquor store and kills a clerk in the process, and it has nothing to do with religion, we can blame atheism. We can blame lack of religion for a lot of crime and violence.

You think it is more or less likely that an armed robber is atheist?
Marco Esquandolas
AG
OP must be some kind of really smart person
TexAgs91
AG
Quote:

So by the same token I could claim that had everyone been religious, than we would have not been the atomic bomb since it was made by non-religious organizations.
So since the atomic bomb ended the bloodiest war ever and has ended all out war for the last 70 years you're saying if everyone was religious we wouldn't have peace?
AgLiving06
TexAgs91 said:

Quote:

So by the same token I could claim that had everyone been religious, than we would have not been the atomic bomb since it was made by non-religious organizations.
So since the atomic bomb ended the bloodiest war ever and has ended all out war for the last 70 years you're saying if everyone was religious we wouldn't have peace?

Woah...you mean to tell me that we can't simply say XXX = YYY and cover all scenarios and/or moral discussion.

And here I was believing the OP.
Sapper Redux
AgLiving06 said:

TexAgs91 said:

Quote:

Woah...you mean to tell me that we can't simply say XXX = YYY and cover all scenarios and/or moral discussion.

And here I was believing the OP.

Everyone who agrees with the OP = fool
FlyFish95
schmendeler said:

DryFly said:

Armed robbers typically aren't committed Christians, I can certainly tell you that.
Sapper Redux
DryFly said:

schmendeler said:

DryFly said:

Armed robbers typically aren't committed Christians, I can certainly tell you that.

No true Scotsman?
DirtDiver
No Religion = Peace begs the question what's makes religions un-peaceful?

I agree that when people are judgmental, hypocritical, selfish, abusive, intolerant, murderous in the name of religion the word would be much more peaceful. The irony is that no one spoke out against religiousness more than Jesus. "Come to me all you who are heavy laden.." refers to the heavy burdens the religious leaders were putting on the people...'and I will give you rest for your souls."

Imagine you are in church and someone stands up and exhorts the crowd with these words from Amos...

Alas, you who are longing for the day of the Lord,
For what purpose will the day of the Lord be to you?
It will be darkness and not light;
19 As when a man flees from a lion
And a bear meets him,
Or goes home, leans his hand against the wall
And a snake bites him.
20 Will not the day of the Lord be darkness instead of light,
Even gloom with no brightness in it?
21 "I hate, I reject your festivals,
Nor do I delight in your solemn assemblies.
22 "Even though you offer up to Me burnt offerings and your grain offerings,
I will not accept them;
And I will not even look at the peace offerings of your fatlings.
23 "Take away from Me the noise of your songs;
I will not even listen to the sound of your harps.
24 "But let justice roll down like waters
And righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.

If you read the book the people were 'being religious' while exploiting the poor and accepting bribes in court, etc. God cares more about loving him and loving others than religiousness.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Dr. Watson said:

DryFly said:

schmendeler said:

DryFly said:

No true Scotsman?

I get where you are going with that, but this probably isn't the right situation to play that card.

LegettHall
If every human did one thing Jesus said to do for one week, think of how peaceful this world would be.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Don't know about others, but I don't wanna be murdered, assaulted, conned, scammed, have my wife cheat on me, etc.

Maybe some on this forum would like all that. Not me.

kurt vonnegut
AG
No Woman = No Cry
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Dr. Watson said:

A lot of religious people seem almost giddy at the idea of nonbelievers being punished after death.
This is said a lot on this board.

There's a corollary to "no true Scotsman"

it is, "I lot of Scotsman seem to..."
tyunelil
I agree that religion caused so much war and conflict in the world but I'm not really sure if without it will result to peace. In order to have peace, human beings should understand their nature and accept humility and open-mindedness. By then, peace will become doable.
FlyFish95
tyunelil said:

I agree that religion caused so much war and conflict in the world but I'm not really sure if without it will result to peace. In order to have peace, human beings should understand their nature and accept humility and open-mindedness. By then, peace will become doable.
Might as well just say if we got rid of poor people there would be less violence.
Solo Tetherball Champ
I'm just amazed that this post received 32 likes.

Does this board even have 32 posters?
Solo Tetherball Champ
The world would certainly smell nicer.
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

I'm just amazed that this post received 32 likes.

Does this board even have 32 posters?
Apparently so...though, I think heathen, non-believer, Catholic, Protestant, Baptist, Calvinist, Arminian, Pacifist, YEC, and late-night atheist lurker that still lives in mom's basement with multiple usernames can all agree that Uncle Joe was one despicable comrade.
Line up and wait 18L
Liking a TampaBayAg post is always a good move.
Solo Tetherball Champ
No one likes a kiss-ass.
Line up and wait 18L
That's why you're solo?
dcAg
Without religion the world would have dissolved into chaos a long time ago. With religion we have wars where religion is used as a tool but at least it is more organized.
Sapper Redux
dcAg said:

Without religion the world would have dissolved into chaos a long time ago. With religion we have wars where religion is used as a tool but at least it is more organized.

War is more organized with religion?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.