Muslim, AMA

8,167 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by canadiaggie
canadiaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Figured now is a pretty timely occasion for this. I have only three small notes:

1) Be respectful, and I will give you the same respect back. I'm hoping this will be a positive discussion.

2)I'm not a Saudi-hardcore Wahhabi. Total opposite end of spectrum, and we can get into that because I'm happy to discuss sectarian matters. If you were hoping for validation of the sword verses of the Qur'an, you may have to stick to your self-appointed anti-Islam PhD websites.

Ask away, folks!
Pro Sandy
AG
That was only 2 notes...

So what sect do you adhere to?

My question is about how Islam views atonement for sin.

In Christianity, we believe that Jesus, God himself, died on the cross for our sins and without his death our sins are not atoned. No good works, no blood of animals, no grieving our wrong doings, can make our sins right, outside the blood of Jesus, the ultimate sacrifice. That me as a sinful human being cannot atone for my own sins because I am not and will not be perfect in this life, but need a perfect sacrifice to make things right between myself and God. That perfect sacrifice being Jesus.

How does a Muslim believe his sins are forgiven?
titan
S
canadiaggie,

Thanks for attempting this. My question is basically just one overall, but needs a few lines to describe. The issue not of terrorism, but coercion in proselytizing - conversion.

Is there an Islamic concept that allows for maturation, development over time, to reject use of coercion, as has generally happened with most other faiths today? Agree that the sword verses are not the point. The point is the continued literalization of them in the 21st C. Other religions had literal periods too, but further in the past, and if behaving the same, would pose the same response need.

You say you are the opposite of the spectrum. Assuning not Shi'ia -- Which Sunni sects (or others) constitute the `rational non-coercion' views? Acceptance of non-coercion seems more key than any terrorism -- for it is coercion, for example, that leads to intimidating and killing women on individual level; even if there is no collective `terrorist' impulse.

Crucial to this: what sect is the El-Sissi form in Egypt, is there a movement underway in the spirit of his December 28, 2014 speech. Related, also, the kind of Islam we generally saw in modern Turkey? This appeared to be just such a blend, preserving many traditions yet rejecting intimidation until recently when Salafist influence gained.

I hope the question has made sense, this is not something the news or web sites even ask outside the simplifications.. Addressing it could be helpful.
Solo Tetherball Champ

Quote:

Figured now is a pretty timely occasion for this. I have only three small notes:

1) Be respectful, and I will give you the same respect back. I'm hoping this will be a positive discussion.

2)I'm not a Saudi-hardcore Wahhabi. Total opposite end of spectrum, and we can get into that because I'm happy to discuss sectarian matters. If you were hoping for validation of the sword verses of the Qur'an, you may have to stick to your self-appointed anti-Islam PhD websites.

Ask away, folks!
... Where's point number 3?

Welcome! I have less of a doctrinal question and more of a historical perspective question.

I majored in history at A&M (I bought into the lie that all you needed was a degree, prior to the meltdown). I primarily focused on the Mid-East and the far east. One of the more interesting things to me in my studies of Muslim history and the Mid-East is that relatively speaking, the crusades were not that damaging to Muslim Civilization. Sure, the crusades were an invading army, but they were primarily focused on the holy land. What really damaged (and arguably ended the golden age of Muslim civilization) was the Mongols, particularly the sack of Baghdad and the destruction of the levant. Based upon my studies (in college and after), I see bitterness and rage regarding the crusades, but very little resentment about the Mongol assault. To me, it seems like the Muslim world holds a grudge against the guy that threw a rock through your front window while simultaneously ignoring the guy that ransacked your house via the back door. Why is that? Is it animosity stoked by proximity to the west?
titan
S
Solo Tetherball,

What you are speaking about is a very good point. Hulegu the Mongol days, and the epic "mountain" (literally a pile) of skulls made at Baghdad, seems barely remarked upon. Will not answer for him (I have an opinion, yes) , just providing a detail and name to reference further. Baghdad of that time had been flourishing and shared much perspectives with Constantinople.
canadiaggie
AG
Create Account said:

Why are Muslims so violent? Are there any pacifist Muslims?
No, all 2 billion of us are foaming at the mouth... just all murderers. We're barely human.

Sarcasm hopefully not needed. I've never killed a person in my life nor do I intend to, so that answers your question.
canadiaggie
AG
Pro Sandy said:

That was only 2 notes...

So what sect do you adhere to?

My question is about how Islam views atonement for sin.

In Christianity, we believe that Jesus, God himself, died on the cross for our sins and without his death our sins are not atoned. No good works, no blood of animals, no grieving our wrong doings, can make our sins right, outside the blood of Jesus, the ultimate sacrifice. That me as a sinful human being cannot atone for my own sins because I am not and will not be perfect in this life, but need a perfect sacrifice to make things right between myself and God. That perfect sacrifice being Jesus.

How does a Muslim believe his sins are forgiven?
Most people know us as the Ismailis, but if we're being very nitty gritty:

Islam ---> Shi'a in general ---> Ismaili ---> Nizari. We make up about 2% of the entire Muslim population, which is not insignificant, but we're not that large of a sect either. This wasn't always the case, we used to outnumber the Twelver Shi'a by a huge margin (the Twelvers are the variety you find in Iran) but multiple Mongol/Turk incited genocides and a few internal schisms later and there's only 20 million of us now.

If I'm correct in understanding, your view of atonement is more in line with the Protestant view than say a Catholic, because I always learned Catholics also view good works as a requirement or at least an additional factor.

In Islam in general, the idea of original sin (and thus the need for salvation) is non-existent. The Qur'an insinuates that God forgave Adam and Eve and gave them an abode on Earth. We are born good, inherently good, and then are led astray onto wrong paths. Sunni scholars will generally categorize sins committed into two categories - one is personal fault, which are forgiven by God (bit of a nebulous category, I know) and the other is willful transgression, which is not easily atoned for. The concept of eternal reward in what you would consider traditional Islam hinges on good works and nothing else.

This is also a misconception. For most of Islamic history, many if not most Muslims, whether Shi'a or Sunni, have also prescribed to one of the Sufi schools of thought. Sufism is mystical Islam, or perhaps more accurately, esoteric Islam. Sufi belief generally teaches that paradise is not simply a mystical place or a location of any sort, but rather an ultimate annihilation of the self within the entirety of everything that is God (fanaa fi Allah, annihilation in God), and that it is possible for a few to be so in tune and in remembrance of God that they can attain this level of oneness and ultimate return in life.

So I suppose the answer to your question is bifurcated. Your good works keep your soul in the nature it was born into, but the true salvation, or paradise, comes through this concept of oneness with God. This theme of oneness, tawhid, has been central to Islamic esoteric practice throughout history.

Ismaili belief firmly rests upon this more esoteric, Sufi branch of thought.
ramblin_ag02
AG
First off, kudos for the attempt! Hope it stays civil.

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but what is the appeal of radicalization for young Muslims? From just reading news, it seems like a very small but noticable minority of young Muslims in places like the US, Europe, Australia, and Indonesia for some reason identify with the Islamic State or other "extreme" forms of Islam. This is not something I understand at all as a Christian, and I would appreciate any thoughts you had on the subject.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
Create Account said:

We met with many nonviolence organizations when we were in Palestine. Probably 75% of the ones we met with were Palestinian Muslims. The rest were Palestinian Christians. Met with a Palestinian farmer in Tuwani that passionately quoted MLK and Ghandi as he talked of their nonviolent resistance to the occupation.

So yes, there are pacifist Muslims.
swimmerbabe11
I was told the other day that in Muslim beliefs, God doesn't interact with humans..even in heaven, they are mostly kept separate.

Is this accurate?
Create Account
canadiaggie said:

Create Account said:

No, all 2 billion of us are foaming at the mouth... just all murderers. We're barely human.

Sarcasm hopefully not needed. I've never killed a person in my life nor do I intend to, so that answers your question.
That does not answer either of my questions. Obviously not all Muslims are murderers or violent as I have several coworkers who are Muslim.

Is there something in Muslim theology that makes people blow up markets, fly airplanes into buildings, or shoot up a crowded bar club? Christian theology reserve justice to the civil authorities. Why do Muslims seem to take it into their own hands? It is clearly a problem.
Create Account
RetiredAg said:

Create Account said:

We met with many nonviolence organizations when we were in Palestine. Probably 75% of the ones we met with were Palestinian Muslims. The rest were Palestinian Christians. Met with a Palestinian farmer in Tuwani that passionately quoted MLK and Ghandi as he talked of their nonviolent resistance to the occupation.

That's great. I wish they had quotes from their own theologians instead of Christians and Buddhists.
PacifistAg
AG
Create Account said:

RetiredAg said:

Create Account said:

That's great. I wish they had quotes from their own theologians instead of Christians and Buddhists.
I'm sure they do. Considering our group was primarily American and Indian, perhaps he cited people we could identify with. Perhaps he cited sources that anyone who heard their names would immediately recognize, instead of having to deal with a language barrier to explain who their more obscure source is.

The point is that there certainly are advocates for nonviolence among the Muslim people, at least in Palestine.
Create Account
I meant I wish their theologians were so clear that taking justice into your own hands is incompatible with Islam. Maybe they do, but their people are definitely not getting the message. Maybe their theology doesn't actually say that. Christians can point to Jesus as their example. Muslims point to Muhammad. Based on the difference in their lives, I can see why (some) Muslims are violent and take justice/war into their own hands.
canadiaggie
AG
titan said:

canadiaggie,

Thanks for attempting this. My question is basically just one overall, but needs a few lines to describe. The issue not of terrorism, but coercion in proselytizing - conversion.

Is there an Islamic concept that allows for maturation, development over time, to reject use of coercion, as has generally happened with most other faiths today? Agree that the sword verses are not the point. The point is the continued literalization of them in the 21st C. Other religions had literal periods too, but further in the past, and if behaving the same, would pose the same response need.

You say you are the opposite of the spectrum. Assuning not Shi'ia -- Which Sunni sects (or others) constitute the `rational non-coercion' views? Acceptance of non-coercion seems more key than any terrorism -- for it is coercion, for example, that leads to intimidating and killing women on individual level; even if there is no collective `terrorist' impulse.

Crucial to this: what sect is the El-Sissi form in Egypt, is there a movement underway in the spirit of his December 28, 2014 speech. Related, also, the kind of Islam we generally saw in modern Turkey? This appeared to be just such a blend, preserving many traditions yet rejecting intimidation until recently when Salafist influence gained.

I hope the question has made sense, this is not something the news or web sites even ask outside the simplifications.. Addressing it could be helpful.

Since I'm Shi'a, I'll try to frame my answer in a way that includes a general approach:

The original concept of forced conversion is untrue. Some may point to the Ridda wars, but keep in mind that the Arab society of the time was exceptionally tribal. Those wars were less about Abu Bakr converting people to Islam than bringing the breakaway tribes back into his rule. Not everyone allied in Muhammad's original coalition was Muslim, and certainly Abu Bakr only wanted what Muhammad had in the first place - the bay'ah, or the sworn allegiance, of these other tribes. Many of the tribes thought their Bay'ah expired when Muhammad died, or refused to follow Abu Bakr because they preferred Muhammad's cousin, Ali, as the rightful leader. The ones who gave their bay'ah to Ali eventually formed the nucleus of the Shi'a.

The Umayyads did not care, and certainly did not attempt to convert Christians or Jews into Muslims, for one reason in particular: the jizya tax. The Umayyads (Sunni) saw opportunities, because on top of the general tax paid by everyone, the Muslims had their Zakat tax and the non-Muslims had the Jizya tax. Now where the Zakat tax was collected and then disbursed as kind of a general welfare fund, partially by the government but mostly by local clergy and mosques, the Jizya tax went straight to the Caliph. Because Muslims, like all other human beings, are greedy *******s, the Caliphs liked this extra source of state income. They could justify it because they levied it on religious minorities, and they could always say "well, look, the Muslim citizens have to pay Zakat, so you should pay some religious tax too". The zakat tax was less, however, and the stipulation that Muslim citizens may be called into the Caliph's army was rarely used, because the Caliphs began to rely on Turkish mercenaries, so the financial incentives for conversion to Islam were also high. There was an instance where the Abbasid (Sunni with hard Shi'a leanings) government defended Samaritans against forced conversion by a Levantine warlord.

However, forced conversions also did happen, just like with any other religion. While Muslim rule in Spain was often good, there were some terrible periods too. The Almohad (Sunni) dynasty in particular forced a lot of Christians or Jews to convert or leave, and in a somewhat interesting story, the famous Jewish writer Maimonides was forced to convert to Islam and later kicked out of Spain. He found his way to Egypt, where he converted back to Judaism, was tried in a Sharia court for apostasy, but then set free by the Sharia judge on the grounds that his conversion to Islam had been forced. (pulled this story from Bernard Lewis' book, The Jews of Islam). The Devsirme system is also a terrible blot on Muslim history, where the Ottomans (Sunni) took boys from the Balkans, converted them to Islam, and then turned them into the elite shock troops of the empire, the Jannissaries. I suppose you could try and soften the blow by saying that those boys eventually become generals, viziers, and top ranking officials in the Ottoman state, which is a pretty high ceiling for what essentially began as forced conversion (Sinan Pasha, a Serb boy, eventually became the Ottoman general who conquered the Yemen and was the Ottoman Prime Minister 5 times over 2 decades) but taking kids from their parents is a pretty terrible thing to do no matter what.

I don't know that any Sunni group advocates for forced conversion other than the Wahhabis. The Qur'an is fairly anti-forced conversion if you read the text (no compulsion in religion, etc.) and this recent trend towards extremist forced conversion is definitely a product of the extremist Wahhabi branch of Islam that is taught out of Saudi mosques, Saudi funded mosques, and Saudi funded preachers. Wahhabism forms the backbone of most if not all jihadist groups in the world today.

The Shi'a Ismaili- my sect's - approach to conversion was historically that of an underground movement due to constant persecution. Shi'a movements in general functioned this way. The way the system worked is that the Imam - the central religious authority for Shi'a, basically on par with Muhammad in terms of religious authority with the exception that the Imam didn't receive any new guidance, just interpreted and applied what was already there - would send out his missionaries to different parts of the world, and the missionaries would adapt Ismaili beliefs into other languages and cultures. For example, when Ismaili missionaries arrived in India, they taught Islam to locals through Hindu symbols, like referring to Allah as Shiva or Vishnu, and to the first Imam, Ali, as Ram or Hari, the Qur'an as a "Guru book" and in various Indian languages rather than Arabic. Only recently, in the 20th and 21st century under the previous and current Imams, has the practice become somewhat standardized for Ismailis - prayers in Arabic, service in local language (so English in the US and Canada, French in France, Portuguese in Portugal, and Urdu/Hindi/Gujarati in Pakistan and India, though last time I went back some things had shifted over to English since most Ismailis are well educated and speak English).

I am ignorant about goings on in Egypt and El-Sisi, though I think he's more of a military dictator than a religious ideologue. And you are right about Salafist beliefs (Salafist = Wahabbi, same thing) taking root in Turkey. Shame, because Turkey used to be one of the most vibrant Sufi cultures in the Muslim world. Like I replied to an earlier post, throughout history many Muslims have been either Shia or Sunni but also adhered to Sufi esoteric practices as well. The decline of this esoteric practice in favor of hardline movements like Salafism, funded by Saudi money, which are holdovers from an Anti-European colonial era, has been one of the contributing factors to Muslim violence in the past few decades.
canadiaggie
AG
Create Account said:

canadiaggie said:

Create Account said:

That does not answer either of my questions. Obviously not all Muslims are murderers or violent as I have several coworkers who are Muslim.

Is there something in Muslim theology that makes people blow up markets, fly airplanes into buildings, or shoot up a crowded bar club? Christian theology reserve justice to the civil authorities. Why do Muslims seem to take it into their own hands? It is clearly a problem.
Wahhabi theology. Anti-colonial movement that was clearly denounced by most Muslim authorities but made the world-changing decision to ally with the house of Saud when they took over Saudi Arabia. Then they found oil, the Saudis became powerful, and started spreading their hateful theology across the world.

The Saudis are also the US's biggest ally and for some reason we have blinders to the fact that they are the root cause of much of the cancer in the Muslim world today.
canadiaggie
AG
Create Account said:

I meant I wish their theologians were so clear that taking justice into your own hands is incompatible with Islam. Maybe they do, but their people are definitely not getting the message. Maybe their theology doesn't actually say that. Christians can point to Jesus as their example. Muslims point to Muhammad. Based on the difference in their lives, I can see why (some) Muslims are violent and take justice/war into their own hands.
Read the following, if you will:

"Be it known to you, O, Malik, that I am sending you as Governor to a country which in the past has experienced both just and unjust rule. Men will scrutinise your actions with a searching eye, even as you used to scrutinise the actions of those before you, and speak of you even as you did speak of them.
The fact is that the public speak well of only those who do good. It is they who furnish the proof of your actions. Hence the richest treasure that you may covet would be the treasure of good deeds. Keep your desires under control and deny yourself that which you have been prohibited from, for, by such abstinence alone, you will be able to distinguish between what is good to them and what is not.
Develop in your heart the feeling of love for your people and let it be the source of kindliness and blessing to them. Do not behave with them like a barbarian, and do not appropriate to yourself that which belongs to them. Remember that the citizens of the state are of two categories. They are either your brethren in religion or your brethren in kind. They are subject to infirmities and liable to commit mistakes.
Some indeed do commit mistakes. But forgive them even as you would like God to forgive you. Bear in mind that you are placed over them, even as I am placed over you. And then there is God even above him who has given you the position of a Governor in order that you may look after those under you and to be sufficient unto them. And you will be judged by what you do for them.
Do not set yourself against God, for neither do you possess the strength to shield yourself against His displeasure, nor can you place yourself outside the pale of His mercy and forgiveness. Do not feel sorry over any act of forgiveness, nor rejoice over any punishment that you may mete out to any one. Do not rouse yourself to anger, for no good will come out of it.
Do not say: "I am your overlord and dictator, and that you should, therefore, bow to my commands", as that will corrupt your heart, weaken your faith in religion and create disorder in the state. Should you be elated by power, ever feel in your mind the slightest symptoms of pride and arrogance, then look at the power and majesty of the Divine governance of the Universe over which you have absolutely no control.
It will restore the sense of balance to your wayward intelligence and give you the sense of calmness and affability.
Beware! Never put yourself against the majesty and grandeur of God and never imitate His omnipotence; for God has brought low every rebel of God and every tyrant of man.
Let your mind respect through your actions the rights of God and the rights of man, and likewise, persuade your companions and relations to do likewise. For, otherwise, you will be doing injustice to yourself and injustice to humanity. Thus both man and God will turn unto your enemies. There is no hearing anywhere for one who makes an enemy of God himself. He will be regarded as one at war with God until he feels contrition and seeks forgiveness. Nothing deprives man of divine blessings or excites divine wrath against him more easily than cruelty. Hence it is, that God listens to the voice of the oppressed and waylays the oppressor."

- letter from Ali, 4th Caliph and 1st Shi'a Imam, cousin and son-in-law of Muhammad, written to the Governor of Egypt, considered the highest spiritual authority in Islam by Shi'as and one of the greatest theologians of Islam by Sunnis.
Solo Tetherball Champ
There are theologians like that. As I recall, one of the reasons for the wide variety of practice due to the detailed recording of Mohammed's life. We actually know more about his life than Jesus or many of the apostles, so Muslims look to his direct example: Muslims also have the Hadith, Mohammed's proverbs and quotes, and the Sunna, Mohammed's daily practices.

Many traditions within the Hadith and Sunna contradict one another. Some display him being merciful, others may show him having a lack of concern for prisoners, others may show him shrewdly manipulating nonmuslims for material gain, whereas other traditions show him fairly and equitably doing business with outsiders. Because of these contradictions, it has been necessary for Muslim theologians to trace back who recorded what quote/action to try to verify it. How close was the source to Mohammed, ie, a second cousin's best friends former roommate? Was it close friend/advisor? How long before the tradition was actually recorded on paper? Many of those did not become written down until decades or centuries after it was attributed to Mohammed.

According to my observation, it appeared that there were enough tradition for particularly many viewpoint, provided that it did not explicitly violate the Quran.

I think part of the problem is that we in the west primarily look to the Bible (and Catholics/EO throw in tradition as well) as the source and forget that Muslims also have these other wells that they draw from to create theology.
Create Account

Quote:

Wahhabi theology.
Are all market bombings, wedding attacks, funeral shootings, etc carried out by Wahhabis? What in their theology makes them so violent? Are the Muslim?
titan
S
canadiaggie,

This is beyond excellent, want to read slow and in detail now, so just a quick thought at reading your first line that is necessary to interject,

Quote:

Since I'm Shi'a, I'll try to frame my answer in a way that includes a general approach:
Ah, I had guessed wrong. Please don't see it as a negative--- what I really had in mind is the Shi'a do apparently have a hierarchy that would be capable of issuing opinion binding, more like a Catholic-Orthodox view, and able to thus `move upward' away from harsher practices of a different time. Put another way, have generally seen the Shi'ia view is not the one obstructing future potential improvement.

Now to get back to my reading.
titan
S
canadiaggie,

Excellent overview, and very good moments of candor about the good and bad. Your account is consistent with the candor view of the Middle Ages for those well informed of it. This adds to its importance.

Learned some things really interesting,

Some remarks,

First about the Shi'ia,

Quote:

The Shi'a Ismaili- my sect's - approach to conversion was historically that of an underground movement due to constant persecution. Shi'a movements in general functioned this way. The way the system worked is that the Imam - the central religious authority for Shi'a, basically on par with Muhammad in terms of religious authority with the exception that the Imam didn't receive any new guidance, just interpreted and applied what was already there - would send out his missionaries to different parts of the world, and the missionaries would adapt Ismaili beliefs into other languages and cultures.

That's very interesting. I was uncertain whether the Imam had any potential to claim new guidance; or whether every fatwa was founded in precedent. Its clearly the latter. But what you say elsewhere confirms that it is perfectly legitimate for an Imam to condemn coerced conversion; that the precedent could be found.

Quote:

For example, when Ismaili missionaries arrived in India, they taught Islam to locals through Hindu symbols, like referring to Allah as Shiva or Vishnu, and to the first Imam, Ali, as Ram or Hari, the Qur'an as a "Guru book" and in various Indian languages rather than Arabic.

This was also intriguing -- the syncretism confirms the impression that the Shi'ia are more akin to the Muslim `Catholics'. And do not mean that as a negative. One thing puzzles, since Pakistan is so Sunni in tone, was the India outreach by Shi'ia undone by a more violent sect, with the results in 1947 for all to see? This has a straight up answer but I don't have time to try some crash-course and would much rather admit that I don't know or lost track of just when the India phase became violent and Sunni in tone. I think its after the destruction of the North and east African orthodox kingdoms.

Now on the Sunni,

Quote:

I don't know that any Sunni group advocates for forced conversion other than the Wahhabis. The Qur'an is fairly anti-forced conversion if you read the text (no compulsion in religion, etc.) and this recent trend towards extremist forced conversion is definitely a product of the extremist Wahhabi branch of Islam that is taught out of Saudi mosques, Saudi funded mosques, and Saudi funded preachers. Wahhabism forms the backbone of most if not all jihadist groups in the world today.
If that is true, it is huge, and really puts a big onus on D.C, and the McCain types in the constant enabling of Saudi Islamists.

The Roman thing, and "superpower" thing to do after 9/11 would have been to say "we remain your ally, you can continue as you are, but all exporting that stuff stops ---- we are coming to clean up." That's not what we did, but it may yet occur.

Quote:

The decline of this esoteric practice in favor of hardline movements like Salafism, funded by Saudi money, which are holdovers from an Anti-European colonial era, has been one of the contributing factors to Muslim violence in the past few decades.
Which may well explain Obama administration's tendency to support that brand, MB, etc -- the anti-colonial line. It seems to have been a theme.

Texaggie7nine
Just to gauge how you see the majority of Muslims in the US, to counter how many here seem to think they are based off common surveys that are always brought up.

1.) Do you believe Muslims that fall out of the faith should be put to death?
1a.) Do you believe the majority of US Muslims believe they should be?
1b.) Do you believe the majority of the World Muslims believe they should be?

2.) Would you vote to implement Sharia Law where you live if given the option?
2a.) Do you believe the majority of US Muslims would vote for it?
2b.) Do you believe the majority of World Muslims vote for it?

3.) Do you believe homosexuality should be made illegal?
3a.) Do you believe the majority of US Muslims want it to be illegal?
3b.) Do you believe the majority of World Muslims want it to be illegal?

4.) Do you believe the government should support the notion that the husband has power over their wife in a marriage?
4a.) Do you believe the majority of US Muslims believe the government should support that?
4b.) Do you believe the majority of World Muslims believe their government should support that?
7nine
titan
S
On the theology,

Quote:

The concept of eternal reward in what you would consider traditional Islam hinges on good works and nothing else.

Quote:

Which the pillars presumably help keep one on the path of?

In Islam in general, the idea of original sin (and thus the need for salvation) is non-existent. The Qur'an insinuates that God forgave Adam and Eve and gave them an abode on Earth. We are born good, inherently good, and then are led astray onto wrong paths. Sunni scholars will generally categorize sins committed into two categories - one is personal fault, which are forgiven by God (bit of a nebulous category, I know) and the other is willful transgression, which is not easily atoned for. The concept of eternal reward in what you would consider traditional Islam hinges on good works and nothing else.

So not only is it not Augustinian in tone, but it also does not much embrace Zorastrian Light and Dark? So you are saying there is no real mechanism to seek forgiveness other than perhaps, trying to "outdo" the earlier bad action or transgression, by "good works" after it? If reading it righ.

Quote:

So I suppose the answer to your question is bifurcated. Your good works keep your soul in the nature it was born into, but the true salvation, or paradise, comes through this concept of oneness with God. This theme of oneness, tawhid, has been central to Islamic esoteric practice throughout history.
The one-ness, the tawhid, would be a common element - can even see an echo in Catholic-Orthodox thought; that the completion comes from that. Interesting.

Since there is not an original sin or transgression needing to be balanced, what exactly is the aspect of Mary that makes her special in Islam -- is it merely mother of a Prophet as Jesus is seen, and is it different between Sunni and Shi'ia?

canadiaggie
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

Quote:

Ask away, folks!
... Where's point number 3?

Welcome! I have less of a doctrinal question and more of a historical perspective question.

I majored in history at A&M (I bought into the lie that all you needed was a degree, prior to the meltdown). I primarily focused on the Mid-East and the far east. One of the more interesting things to me in my studies of Muslim history and the Mid-East is that relatively speaking, the crusades were not that damaging to Muslim Civilization. Sure, the crusades were an invading army, but they were primarily focused on the holy land. What really damaged (and arguably ended the golden age of Muslim civilization) was the Mongols, particularly the sack of Baghdad and the destruction of the levant. Based upon my studies (in college and after), I see bitterness and rage regarding the crusades, but very little resentment about the Mongol assault. To me, it seems like the Muslim world holds a grudge against the guy that threw a rock through your front window while simultaneously ignoring the guy that ransacked your house via the back door. Why is that? Is it animosity stoked by proximity to the west?

I think that may have in part to do with the fact that the Mongols stuck around and assimilated into the local culture. Like the Turks before them, they swept through the Islamic world before becoming so infatuated with the lands they conquered that they stayed and adopted the local religion and especially the local culture. That first generation after Genghis was full of conquerors, but after that the Mongol rulers began to adopt Islam in rapid numbers.

What's interesting to note is that for the vast majority of Islamic history, Islam has been melded with this kind of glorious Byzantine/Persian culture because early Islam was likely flexible enough to mold around the existing Byzantine and Persian cultures they first came into contact with during the early conquests. This Persianate and Greek influence was the high water mark of Islamic culture. All the great empires of the Muslim world were influenced by either - the Abbasids, Mughals, Ottomans by the Persians, the Fatimids and Moors by the Greeks. I think it is significant that Wahhabism and Salafism reflects a kind of Arab tribal backlash against the flowering of Muslim practice with different cultures. They would rather have it standardized across the board rather than have a mosiac of Islams. Do as the Arabs do, and we are the Arabs who say what we should do - and equate that with how Muhammad must have conducted his business, even though we are actually fairly unaware of what early Muslim practice was like. The Hadith, which I warn against always taking seriously given how error ridden and contradictory they are, and the practical evidence don't always add up .

for example, orthodox Sunni practice bans portrayal of the prophet, but this is not in the Qur'an nor does the physical evidence add up, as Shia often drew Muhammad, with or without a face, and there have been coins found in the very early conquest period that mimic Byzantine coins, which means they depict the Shahada on one side and the FACE of the ruler on the other (this was shown to me by Dr. Daniel Schwartz when I took his late antiquity class at A&M) which some historians have hypothesized may be the face of one of the Caliphs or of Muhammad himself. If true, it meant that the early Muslims at the government level had no issue with depicting legendary Muslim figures. Contrast that with now, where Sunnis get inflamed by depictions of the Prophet.
canadiaggie
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Just to gauge how you see the majority of Muslims in the US, to counter how many here seem to think they are based off common surveys that are always brought up.

1.) Do you believe Muslims that fall out of the faith should be put to death?
1a.) Do you believe the majority of US Muslims believe they should be?
1b.) Do you believe the majority of the World Muslims believe they should be?

2.) Would you vote to implement Sharia Law where you live if given the option?
2a.) Do you believe the majority of US Muslims would vote for it?
2b.) Do you believe the majority of World Muslims vote for it?

3.) Do you believe homosexuality should be made illegal?
3a.) Do you believe the majority of US Muslims want it to be illegal?
3b.) Do you believe the majority of World Muslims want it to be illegal?

4.) Do you believe the government should support the notion that the husband has power over their wife in a marriage?
4a.) Do you believe the majority of US Muslims believe the government should support that?
4b.) Do you believe the majority of World Muslims believe their government should support that?
1) No. the Ismaili Imam has stated that it's better for someone who doesn't believe to be true to himself and leave the faith than continue in it half heartedly. Plus, my personal belief is you should be free to believe whatever you want. Nothing, spaghetti noodle monster, Satan, etc.
1a) Sincerely doubt it.
1b) I'm not sure. It would depend on where the surveys are conducted. Some countries are more extreme than others.

2.) No. Historically when the Ismailis ruled the Fatimid Empire, we had a system of Sharia, but not for a thousand years. It's alien to us.
2a) No.
2b). No, but mostly because there are 6 major competing schools of Sharia (and a host of subcompeting schools within those schools) and they all disagree with each other. They'd just be divided about all the aspects and no one school would ever get voted into law. Mass media and popular Islam has butchered the once rich Sharia tradition and turned it into a draconian system. It once used to be exceptionally difficult to become a lawyer or judge in the Muslim legal system because it involved decades of learning, now the abundance of Wahhabi theology and conservative Sunni groups have self appointed sharia judges left and right. Same thing for the Twelver Shia in Iran. Their theocratic hierarchy used to be way smaller until the Safavid dynasty fell and the clergy began to slowly take more and more power away from the monarchs.

3. No
3a. Can't say for sure. Younger generation no, older generation, perhaps
3b. Probably. Which is a newer trend, given Islam's relationship with homosexuality wasn't always so harsh and cut and dry before. There was a tradition of almost an Athenian type homosexuality within certain Muslim empires, the Ottomans in particular. There's

4. No
4a. No
4b. I'm not sure. But those societies were patriarchal before Islam and they would be without it too. I think that is generally more reflective of culture than religion, though religion reinforces it.

Ironically, Muhammad's domestic life spits in the face of husband superiority over wife, considering his first wife, the mother of all his children, and probably his only real love, was his elder and social superior.
canadiaggie
AG
titan said:

canadiaggie,

This is beyond excellent, want to read slow and in detail now, so just a quick thought at reading your first line that is necessary to interject,

Quote:

Ah, I had guessed wrong. Please don't see it as a negative--- what I really had in mind is the Shi'a do apparently have a hierarchy that would be capable of issuing opinion binding, more like a Catholic-Orthodox view, and able to thus `move upward' away from harsher practices of a different time. Put another way, have generally seen the Shi'ia view is not the one obstructing future potential improvement.

Now to get back to my reading.
Yes, I would agree with this. It's the nature of the two sects - the Shi'a focus on continuous guidance through interpretation and contextualization, while the Sunni rely on tradition.
canadiaggie
AG
titan said:

canadiaggie,

Excellent overview, and very good moments of candor about the good and bad. Your account is consistent with the candor view of the Middle Ages for those well informed of it. This adds to its importance.

Learned some things really interesting,

Some remarks,

First about the Shi'ia,

Quote:

The Shi'a Ismaili- my sect's - approach to conversion was historically that of an underground movement due to constant persecution. Shi'a movements in general functioned this way. The way the system worked is that the Imam - the central religious authority for Shi'a, basically on par with Muhammad in terms of religious authority with the exception that the Imam didn't receive any new guidance, just interpreted and applied what was already there - would send out his missionaries to different parts of the world, and the missionaries would adapt Ismaili beliefs into other languages and cultures.

That's very interesting. I was uncertain whether the Imam had any potential to claim new guidance; or whether every fatwa was founded in precedent. Its clearly the latter. But what you say elsewhere confirms that it is perfectly legitimate for an Imam to condemn coerced conversion; that the precedent could be found.

Quote:

For example, when Ismaili missionaries arrived in India, they taught Islam to locals through Hindu symbols, like referring to Allah as Shiva or Vishnu, and to the first Imam, Ali, as Ram or Hari, the Qur'an as a "Guru book" and in various Indian languages rather than Arabic.

This was also intriguing -- the syncretism confirms the impression that the Shi'ia are more akin to the Muslim `Catholics'. And do not mean that as a negative. One thing puzzles, since Pakistan is so Sunni in tone, was the India outreach by Shi'ia undone by a more violent sect, with the results in 1947 for all to see? This has a straight up answer but I don't have time to try some crash-course and would much rather admit that I don't know or lost track of just when the India phase became violent and Sunni in tone. I think its after the destruction of the North and east African orthodox kingdoms.

Now on the Sunni,

Quote:

If that is true, it is huge, and really puts a big onus on D.C, and the McCain types in the constant enabling of Saudi Islamists.

The Roman thing, and "superpower" thing to do after 9/11 would have been to say "we remain your ally, you can continue as you are, but all exporting that stuff stops ---- we are coming to clean up." That's not what we did, but it may yet occur.

Quote:

The decline of this esoteric practice in favor of hardline movements like Salafism, funded by Saudi money, which are holdovers from an Anti-European colonial era, has been one of the contributing factors to Muslim violence in the past few decades.
Which may well explain Obama administration's tendency to support that brand, MB, etc -- the anti-colonial line. It seems to have been a theme.

To your first point about the power of the Imam,

The Twelver view has, I would say, lost touch with the presence of a living Imam in their midst. They rely on tradition largely because their guidance stops after 12 generations of Imams. The Twelver clergy has found a way to be relatively flexible and adaptive regardless of this, but it doesn't compare to what other communities who had Imams longer were able to evolve to.

In the Ismaili belief, because we have a living Imam, it's pretty much as good as it gets. The Imams tend to be very consistent with one another, and they will often hearken back to tradition and link our current practices to older traditions in symbolic ways. They retain the right to change the form of worship, though the Ismaili belief is that the essence of worship stays the same unto eternity. The Qur'an is considered co-authoritative with the Imam, so much so as it is essentially Ismaili belief to think of the two as one. This derives from a tradition of Muhammad, where he said that he was leaving the Qur'an and Ali (first Imam) for the believers, and to follow them to the pool of Paradise. The issue is that there was no written Qur'an at the time, so we contend that the Qur'an was not left in physical format but in spiritual format. If one were to visualize the Qur'an as light from God, then the Imam was the physical vessel of that light for Muslims. The verse cited from the Qur'an by Ismailis as a metaphor for this is one of my favorites, it's called the Verse of Light (ayat an-noor).

God is the Light of the heavens and the earth.
A parable of His Light is a niche wherein is a lamp
the lamp is in a glass, the glass as it were a glittering star
lit from a blessed olive tree,
neither eastern nor western,
whose oil almost lights up,
though fire should not touch it.
Light upon light.
God guides to His Light whomever He wishes.
God draws parables for mankind,
and God has knowledge of all things. (24:35)

To your second point about Pakistan's transformation,

This is actually fairly easy to answer. Islam in Pakistan was not quite as hardline-Sunni as it always has been. For generations, and even today, Sunni Islam in Pakistan and India has been tinged with Shi'ism and Sufi beliefs. Saint-worship is extremely popular, and the musical Sufi traditions of Qawwali can get you fame of rock-star level in Pakistan. Common devotions call the name of Imam Ali, the first Shi'a Imam, as a divinely inspired guide and teacher. The Mughals tended to be very syncretist and free in their styles of worship, with the exception of Emperor Aurangzeb, who was a very very tyrannical Hanbalite Sunni, in complete contrast to his father and grandfathers. Where you can trace the hardline beliefs come from the failed Sepoy mutinies against the British. The Deobandi and Barelvi schools of Sunni belief, similar to Wahhabism and often allied with Salafism in Pakistan, sprung out of this anti-British, anti-colonial sentiment but did not become immediately popular. It was only during the eighties under the dictatorship of Zia ul-Haq where Pakistan changed, religiously, for the more hardline. The relationship between Saudi Arabia and Pakistan deepened immensely, because the guy who Zia ul Haq killed to become the dictator was a Shi'a secular socialist who had been democratically elected in the 70s, a guy named Zulfikar Ali Bhutto (his daughter was Benazir Bhutto, also a prime minister). The Ismailis suffered a bit during that time, but because Ismailis were so tied up in the founding of Pakistan, they were able to avoid the heavy blows. Those fell on the Ahmadiyya community.
canadiaggie
AG
Create Account said:

Quote:

Wahhabi theology.
Are all market bombings, wedding attacks, funeral shootings, etc carried out by Wahhabis? What in their theology makes them so violent? Are the Muslim?
The Wahhabis were denounced as heretical when Wahhabi ideology first was propagated. They claim to adhere to the Qur'an strictly, which is something of a joke, because the Qur'an is often times vague and mystical and nearly impossible to adhere to strictly without getting a million different answers of what is right and wrong.

Their primary overarching theology is that they have the right to do takfir, which is to say that they can decide whether other Muslims are infidels or not. This was starkly denounced by Muhammad during his life, has no roots in the Qur'an or the Hadith, They believe in a highly militant form of religion, influenced by their traditional Bedouin tribal warfare structure, which glorifies raiding.

They also have very little writing or scholarship. They do not expound their theology, they do not participate in debates with more traditional, learned Sunni scholars in institutions like al-Azhar. They instead rely on televangelism, with facile, non-contextual arguments using the face of the Qur'an. I think the main attraction with them is the spartan simplicity and extremely uniform identity it provides to those who want these things in their religion.

They also have the contention that ziyara (visiting tombs of Muhammad, his family members, descendants, companions, or Sufi saints) and tawassul (intercession), violate tauhid al-'ibada (directing all worship to God alone) which has no basis in tradition (the Qur'an itself literally urges Muhammad to intercede on behalf of Muslims), in consensus or in hadith, and even if it did, it would not be grounds for excluding practitioners of ziyara and tawassul from Islam.

I would say Wahhabism is less a movement that says what you can or should do, and more of a movement that says what you shouldn't and cannot do.

Also, Wahhabis consider their greatest enemy to not be non-Muslims, but Shi'a Muslims. They believe that Shi'a are the arch enemies of Islam and refer to us as Rafidhis, or the Rejectors.
canadiaggie
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

There are theologians like that. As I recall, one of the reasons for the wide variety of practice due to the detailed recording of Mohammed's life. We actually know more about his life than Jesus or many of the apostles, so Muslims look to his direct example: Muslims also have the Hadith, Mohammed's proverbs and quotes, and the Sunna, Mohammed's daily practices.

Many traditions within the Hadith and Sunna contradict one another. Some display him being merciful, others may show him having a lack of concern for prisoners, others may show him shrewdly manipulating nonmuslims for material gain, whereas other traditions show him fairly and equitably doing business with outsiders. Because of these contradictions, it has been necessary for Muslim theologians to trace back who recorded what quote/action to try to verify it. How close was the source to Mohammed, ie, a second cousin's best friends former roommate? Was it close friend/advisor? How long before the tradition was actually recorded on paper? Many of those did not become written down until decades or centuries after it was attributed to Mohammed.

According to my observation, it appeared that there were enough tradition for particularly many viewpoint, provided that it did not explicitly violate the Quran.

I think part of the problem is that we in the west primarily look to the Bible (and Catholics/EO throw in tradition as well) as the source and forget that Muslims also have these other wells that they draw from to create theology.
This is correct. Although Ismailism places less emphasis on the hadith, because the guidance of the Imams in Shi'a belief is on par with that of Muhammad, without the addition of further revelation. It basically eliminates the need to look backwards - the Imam is the arbiter of the Qur'an during his time, just as Muhammad was the arbiter of the Qur'an in his own time. For Twelvers, the ayatollahs continue this guidance in the name of the Hidden Imam, who they believe will come hand in hand with Jesus at the end times, while Ismailis believe that the Imam (ours have been alive) guides and interprets how best to live according to the principles of Islam for his time.
canadiaggie
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

First off, kudos for the attempt! Hope it stays civil.

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but what is the appeal of radicalization for young Muslims? From just reading news, it seems like a very small but noticable minority of young Muslims in places like the US, Europe, Australia, and Indonesia for some reason identify with the Islamic State or other "extreme" forms of Islam. This is not something I understand at all as a Christian, and I would appreciate any thoughts you had on the subject.
I think it has to do with immigrant or 2nd generation identity. It's less common in the US than in Europe, because I think in Europe, young Muslim men are more likely to feel "unwanted" or alienated than in America. America does it's darndest to integrate immigrants compared to most other countries. I think in Europe, these young men grow up not entirely Moroccan, or Algerian, or whatever, but not quite accepted by the French or Germans, either. Then add in the influence from Saudi funded mosques and preachers who spread the hateful Wahhabi ideology that underpins ISIS and it's a recipe for disaster. These guys are desperately seeking identity, power, and belonging where they feel they have none of that. Suddenly, ISIS appears, teaching a very simplistic form of Islam, the prospect of as much violence as you could possibly want, and the ability to be powerful beyond your wildest dreams while fighting those who denied you an identity (your new home nation, France/Germany) while also promising a future where you can purge and purify those whose identity you didn't fully belong to (your parents, who were "misguided" into moving into an "enemy" country).

The root of the cancer starts in Saudi Arabia, in the palaces of our "allies".
canadiaggie
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I was told the other day that in Muslim beliefs, God doesn't interact with humans..even in heaven, they are mostly kept separate.

Is this accurate?
I wouldn't say so. Islam has always been tinged with the mystical esoteric belief that meditation and remembrance of God can lead to such a state of Godliness that one loses the physical self (or realizes that the physical self is immaterial) and allows the spiritual self to merge back again with God. Dissolving in God sounds pretty non-separate lol!

Good question, never heard this one before. Do you remember where you heard this from?
Texaggie7nine
Why has there not been a large movement by Muslims in the West who do not agree with the form of Islam followed by those that reject the west and follow backwards versions that bring about such problems such as Wahhabism or other sects to push for naming the denomination rather than the overall religion?

For example. If 7th Day Adventists or Pentecostals or any other of the numerous denominations of Christianity were to be a common source of bad things happening such as violence and failed countries, every other Christian denomination would make damn sure that every time those particular Christians were mentioned it would only be by their denomination.

Similar to what we saw with the Catholic priest issue. If non believers were to ask Christians of other denominations, especially in TV interviews, about why the Catholic church had such issues, those Christians would say "hey, you need to ask Catholics, that's not us."

If there were such a denomination of Christianity that controlled other countries and was a source of terrorism, let's say the Westboro Baptist Church got their own country and started causing the same type of violence, the vast majority of Christians in the US would be some of the biggest proponents of screening out anyone that follows the Westboro Baptist denomination from coming here as immigrants.
7nine
canadiaggie
AG
I think a lot of Sunnis are unaware of their own sectarian differences. It's painfully obvious to those of us who are Shi'a, but most Sunnis I know couldn't tell a Hanafi from a Hanbali. That's why they don't really specify. i also think that Muslims do try to point out that there's a small minority that's very violent and has this violent theology, but I feel like it gets buried. Having an identifiable group of people that perform terrorist acts, or putting a face to our global villain, might not be that great of an idea to the media. It's better for them when they can scare you into thinking it might be that Pakistani family living next door or your Iraqi suitemate who may just be getting radicalised. I'm not really sure why. Personally I point it out at every opportunity I can because I think that Wahhabism is not only damaging to the lives of people but also to classical Islamic theology and philosophy. It is anti-intellectual and attempts to make us all anti-intellectual.
canadiaggie
AG
Also I know I said three notes in the OP but for the life of me I can't remember what the third was.

Thank you all for the very civil and informative discussion. I'll continue to answer as time allows
titan
S
canadiaggie,

Thanks for the excellent backstory about Pakistan and the role of particular leaders. I know something of the Sepoy phase, so that jibes with that.

Also very interesting about what the Twelvers have mis-placed in their tradition as vs the living Imam approach.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.