RAWtools - Katy, TX

5,687 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PacifistAg
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Quote:

It seems like another avenue for hipsters to brag to their friends.
This is exactly what it is. It's like a Mexico mission trip, but for hipster pacifists.
powerbelly
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

It seems like another avenue for hipsters to brag to their friends.
This is exactly what it is. It's like a Mexico mission trip, but for hipster pacifists.
Those people who don't have running water definitely needed that community center we shoddily built over a few weeks.
Martin Q. Blank
A curious observer may ask if the Mexicans could have built the community center themselves using the $1000 you raised to go. You know, instead of being told a bunch of teenagers who can barely swing a hammer are much better at doing it. But their antagonistic and dismissive question would only be answered if they personally went down to Mexico to observe the community center being built. Only then would they understand.
PacifistAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Do the garden tools go to like..farmers in Africa or central america or something to help them be self sustaining?

One more thing, aside from the benefit of two fewer guns in this world, these events are designed to be educational. It's a full day event. It's about planting seeds in the hearts of people. Education to maybe get them to reevaluate their views on guns and violence. A large part of what they do is "hearts and minds" through education.

Hope you can come out for it. At the very least, it will be a time of fellowship with fellow believers. There will be praise and worship. I'm not sure if you're familiar with Marty Troyer, but he's an amazing man that really strives to be a peacemaker. Like I've said, you don't need to agree with us or our methods, but just open to hearing another perspective. You are one of the posters I've come to highly respect here, so hope you can make it.
swimmerbabe11
So turning in the guns is like the altar call at the end of the service.
OnlyForNow
AG
What if my guns aren't used to hurt people and instead I use them to feed my family...

Just not following the logic here, where specific sect of Christianity are you in?
PacifistAg
AG
OnlyForNow said:

What if my guns aren't used to hurt people and instead I use them to feed my family...

Just not following the logic here, where specific sect of Christianity are you in?

I don't have an issue with using guns for hunting. And I'm Mennonite but attend a Church of Christ.
OnlyForNow
AG
Ok.
NoahAg
Quote:

On March 10th, RAWtools will be coming to Katy, TX to turn some guns into garden tools.
Well, here's the problem: I know Katy is pretty thoed, but why not go to, I don't know, the 5th Ward or various apartment complexes in Alief? You know, places where gun crime happens, and round up those guns? THAT is something I could get behind.
PacifistAg
AG
NoahAg said:

Quote:

On March 10th, RAWtools will be coming to Katy, TX to turn some guns into garden tools.
Well, here's the problem: I know Katy is pretty thoed, but why not go to, I don't know, the 5th Ward or various apartment complexes in Alief? You know, places where gun crime happens, and round up those guns? THAT is something I could get behind.
Gun violence isn't confined to only certain areas. Gun crime happens all over the place.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=shootings+in+katy%2C+tx

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/several-injured-shooting-knight-transportation-building-katy-texas-n567766

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/son-arrested-in-shooting-death-of-parents-in-katy-texas/

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/28/us/katy-texas-shootings.html?_r=0

Martin Q. Blank
When I think of gun violence in Houston, my first thought is Katy. It's like the Nineveh of Jonah's day and the tatted up neckbeards have bravely called on its people to repent and turn their Glock 17s into hand cultivators.
Frok
AG
Quote:

There will be praise and worship. I'm not sure if you're familiar with Marty Troyer, but he's an amazing man that really strives to be a peacemaker.

If you make these I'm there.

PacifistAg
AG
More information on the event can be found here: RAWtools - Guns to Garden Tools

Marty Troyer will be the keynote speaker. We will also have several artist presentations, along with a moving testimony from a victim of gun violence. As the two common responses to gun violence tend to either be more guns or more gun laws, join us as we look to a 3rd way of addressing this issue that is a cancer in our society. Please feel free to join us in an evening of education, worship and fellowship.

BrazosDog02
AG
I find it really hard to believe anyone stupid enough to participate in an event like this would actually own a weapon with which to participate.

kurt vonnegut
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

I find it really hard to believe anyone stupid enough to participate in an event like this would actually own a weapon with which to participate.

Ha! Tell us how you really feel.
PacifistAg
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

BrazosDog02 said:

Ha! Tell us how you really feel.
Gundamentalism is strong in Texas.
PacifistAg
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Well, feel free to come to the event and we can discuss further. It will be an amazing time of worship, fellowship and education. I can assure you that even though you find it hard to believe, I actually do own the guns needed for the event. They are from the "dark" period of my life when I embraced violence. Heck, sadly, I was an infantry NCO during that period.
PacifistAg
AG
Frok said:

Quote:

There will be praise and worship. I'm not sure if you're familiar with Marty Troyer, but he's an amazing man that really strives to be a peacemaker.

If you make these I'm there.

Oh, that's awesome, but since it's being hosted at a Church of Christ, I don't think guitars would be allowed on the premises.

Jim Hogg is angry
AG
RetiredAg said:

BrazosDog02 said:

Heck, sadly, I was an infantry NCO during that period.
11 Bravo!? BroMyGoodness, what happened!?

PacifistAg
AG
TampaBayAg said:

RetiredAg said:

BrazosDog02 said:

Heck, sadly, I was an infantry NCO during that period.
11 Bravo!? BroMyGoodness, what happened!?
I found and embraced Jesus.
PacifistAg
AG
Today's the day! If you are in the Katy area, please feel free to come join us at Cinco Ranch Church of Christ as we turn an AK-47 and .357 into garden tools and listen to Marty Troyer, of Houston Mennonite, as we discuss a Kingdom-centered way to address gun violence that doesn't revolve around "more guns" or "more laws".

Hope to see you there!
oldarmy1
AG
Is the group pacifist? If someone breaks into your home and attacks your wife, daughter, etc. whats the approved response?
Martin Q. Blank
He's answered this many times. He'll accept the punches in their place. Or the bullet. No, that's not how break ins work, but he lives in the bubble known as Katy so he doesn't really have anything to worry about.

He's also considered bear hugging the perp if necessary.
oldarmy1
AG
Thanks. Missed all of those discussions.

Personally I can speak out against gun violence and yet have no issue with owning a firearm. I am against using trucks to mow throw pedestrians yet have no issue with owning my SUV.

Altruistic movements like these always appear to address the effects over recognizing the cause. But while I'm not against willing people to give up their firearms I realize God has set forth a clear understanding that one may protect themselves and others.
PacifistAg
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Is the group pacifist? If someone breaks into your home and attacks your wife, daughter, etc. whats the approved response?

Yes, the group is pacifist. Disregard MQB's trollish attempt to misrepresent my position. To answer your question, whatever we must do to nonviolently defend our loved ones, including laying our lives down for them.

Oh, and another reason to disregard the trollish answer...I don't live in Katy. We live just down the street from NRG Stadium Houston.
PacifistAg
AG
Oh and the event was a tremendous success. Was such a blessing and the attendance was much more than expected.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
RetiredAg said:

Oh and the event was a tremendous success. Was such a blessing and the attendance was much more than expected.

I am glad your event went well and that it brought you grace and blessings. While I fundamentally disagree with your position and even the need/premise for an event such as this, if it is something that draws you closer to God and works t bring peace to mankind then like all things it God will work it towards good.
Eliminatus
AG
I have heard of a group doing this. Guess it was yours. So word is getting around. Granted, it was not in the context that yall would probably appreciate, but hey. Any press is good press right?
Martin Q. Blank
South Main RV Park. I have a rental property nearby.
PacifistAg
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

South Main RV Park. I have a rental property nearby.

Your obsession with me is getting very creepy.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.