Lessons Learned from an Evangelical Scholar in the Secular Academy

963 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by commando2004
Post removed:
by user
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is no reflection on this man, as I'm sure he was a very bright fellow, but I really found nothing very compelling about this article.

Particularly lessor 4 and 7, I find his comments even less compelling.
Macarthur
And there's a hint of circularity here because he mentions the old church fathers knew about 'biblical issues' which explains why a rigid inerrant view of the book was not something the old church held. So his argument is we should hold that view now? That makes no sense to me.
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Like most of the Christian physicians, engineers, clinicians, and researchers that post here......he probably "fears science".
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Macarthur
JJMt said:

I don't think that the article was written to be "compelling", if by that you mean somehow persuasive to non-believers. Rather, it appears to me to have been written as an encouragement to believers who are members, or contemplating becoming a member of, the academy.
Fair enough.
Macarthur
JJMt said:

Macarthur said:

And there's a hint of circularity here because he mentions the old church fathers knew about 'biblical issues' which explains why a rigid inerrant view of the book was not something the old church held. So his argument is we should hold that view now? That makes no sense to me.
I'm sorry but I missed that in the article, perhaps due to reading it too fast. Can you tell me where exactly in the article he mentions that? Plus, I can't find any mention of "inerrant", "biblical issues" or "church fathers" in the article doing a search.

So, you are correct. It does not use the word inerrant.

However, in my mind, when these code words are used:
"Classic Christianity"
"unborns"
"Sexually permissive"
"Traditional Christianity"

That leads me down that interpretation, especially since the article is geared towards Evangelicals. I mean that is kind of a cornerstone of Evangelicalism, right?
Post removed:
by user
commando2004
AG
Quote:

Lesson 4: Scholarly views can have serious social consequences.
Fads that are popular in academia != "scholarly views".
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.