Prayer Request

3,036 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TR21
Gary79Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I posted the following on the Premium Board but figured it needed to be posted here as well...

I'm a strong believer in the power of prayer and therefore am making this prayer request to you all with an extremely sad heart.

I got a call earlier today from Michael Self, letting me know that his father, Michael "Mike" Self Sr., has gone into hospice. For those of you that don't know or don't recall, Mike is the father of Jerry Don Self, one of the 12 victims of the Bonfire collapse of 1999.

Mike contacted a serious viral infection recently that severely impacted his immune system and as a result he's been on a respirator for the past 2 weeks. Due to his health situation and his current condition, he had agreed to hospice; and, according to Michael, they're going to remove him from the respirator sometime today with his family by his side.

Mike and I have know each other and have been great friends for a very long time, ever since I met him following the Bonfire collapse. His son Michael just retired from the military in June after serving 20 years in the Army and was currently taking specialized welding training classes in California when he got the phone call about his father's condition. Michael and his wife, Jessica, along with Mike's uncle will be by Mike's side, so I please ask that you take a moment and say a prayer for Mike and the Self family today and keep them all in your thoughts and prayers!

Think, o God, of our friend who is ill, whom we now commend to Your compassionate regard.

Comfort him upon his sickbed, and ease his suffering. We beg for deliverance, and submit that no healing is too hard for the Lord, if it be His will.

We therefore pray that You bless our friend with Your loving care, renew his strength, and heal what ails him in Your loving name. Amen!
Gary79Ag
AG
Update:

They will be moving Mike to the Hospice area of the hospital at 2:00 pm today and will then proceed with the extubation process.

Thanks for everyone's responses and please keep the Self family in your thoughts and prayers...
cuz-i-can
cuz-i-can
AG
94chem
I didn't know Jerry, but we went to the same high school. He was by all accounts a great leader and person, no doubt a tribute to his upbringing. Christ's Peace to the Self family today and going forward.
Gary79Ag
AG
Update:

Mike passed away peacefully last night at 8:21 pm surrounded by his family. Below is a post his son, Michael, posted on his Dad's Facebook page...

Quote:

Quote:
Friends and family,

Some may know and most don't; today, dad lost his battle (peacefully) with his health and was greeted by the greatest welcoming committee led by Jerry, Grandmother, "Sister", and Jesus. He was a great father, son, brother, friend, and man anyone could ask of. I know he touched so many lives in so many ways. Hell, we're still here trying to come to grips with it and process it all (as others are). Life will never be the same without him here but I know he went the way he wanted and he is not living the miserable/painful life he had lived in the past.

I ask for your continued thoughts and prayers for dad, and continue to remember the impact he had along the way. I will update everyone regarding the service information once it is finalized.

If anyone would like to share a great memory/story, please do so in the comments below; as well as any pictures they may have of dad so that they can be shared with all of those that loved him.

~Michael

Pic of his son Michael and Mike

Pic of his son Jerry Don Self with the following caption..."Picture from Jerry's 18th birthday. Notice one candle on his 52 oz. steak. I'm sure he's having a great birthday in heaven."

Well, I'm sure that JD and his Dad are having a great reunion in Heaven!

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord,

and let perpetual light shine upon him.
May he rest in peace.

Amen.

I'm gonna miss my good friend and so called "Brother-in-law"...but know that he's in a great place free of all the pain and suffering he had been going through...Godspeed Mike!
Catag94
AG
May God Bless the self family.
Aggie97
AG
May God bless the family. May His Memory be Eternal.
TexasRebel
AG
Here
Gary79Ag
AG
FYI

See funeral information below from his son Michael..

Family and friends,

Arrangements have been made for dads services. Viewing will be on Thursday, Aug 22 from 6:00-8:00pm and the service will be Friday, Aug 23 at 2:00pm. Viewing and services will be at Moore Funeral Home (1219 N Davis Dr, Arlington, TX).

Thank you for all the thoughts, prayers, and support from all.

~Michael
TR21
AG
Praying for the Self family today. Here.
OCHWFLAKASSOBRTEFE! A-WHOOP!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.