What's the origin of "Pro-Bonfire" signs and T-shirts?

4,992 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MosesHall99
commando2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Inspired by a Facebook profile thing that Off Campus Hogs is doing right now.

Back when I was a student (2000-2006), the "Pro-Bonfire" slogan meant opposition to Bowen's decision to cancel Bonfire in the wake of Collapse. But I'm aware that declaring yourself "Pro-Bonfire" was an Old Army thing from when Bonfire still burned on campus.

So, when and how did it start?
COKEMAN
AG
Pretty sure it started in response to AAB (Aggies Against Bonfire) in the early 90s. That was a group of mostly professors that was bent on eliminating Bonfire.

That's the first I remember it. I think the signs started popping up in Walton windows and spread from there.
Grits
AG

our yellowpots really are THAT ugly.
-OCHWFLAKASSBRTTEFE-
EVA3
AG
COKEMAN said:

Pretty sure it started in response to AAB (Aggies Against Bonfire) in the early 90s. That was a group of mostly professors that was bent on eliminating Bonfire.

That's the first I remember it. I think the signs started popping up in Walton windows and spread from there.

Pretty much correct. There was a group of environmental wackos and lefty Kooks back in the 80s and 90s who wanted to do away with Bonfire. The Pro-Bonfire signs were in response to that movement.

Don't know if it started in Walton or not.
aBouncedCzech
AG
Remember the website, "Bonfire...Dumb as Dirt"?
MosesHall99
Just jumping in to agree. The "Pro Bonfire" signage was a non-reg response to the AAB group that flourished in the late 80s/early 90s.

It became a way to pressure other non regs to get off their ass and do something for Bonfire.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.