Scenes from Bonfire 2016

6,254 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Rusty GCS
FtnTXAg03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

A redass fish. Read more below.

Galleries

BTHOB 2016
Bonfire 2016 has begun to build toward this year's Burn Night on November 23. Participation is high and the canopies are higher (for now). Cut is in Robertson County, in a familiar stretch off Bucksnort. Bonfire was last in this area 8 years ago, and it's great to be back.

For those who aren't familiar, the modern Bonfire construction is defined by every log touching the ground. That means the interior logs comprising the first tier are the full height of the Stack. Dress Logs (the big ones on the outside) are still a feature. Both varieties, the big ones and the tall ones, are generally hard to come by. I say all that to say this:

In 2016, you can stand in one place and lose count of "first-tier Dress Logs", trees big enough at the base to dress the Stack, and tall enough to lay a first tier. I can't remember anything like it. It's making for a heck of an experience for these motivated Aggies, and a joy for me to shoot. I hope you'll enjoy the scenes as much as I have.

Redass fish
Well, it may all be downhill from here, photo-wise. That young man pictured is a fish in the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band. He's about overcome with motivation at his first tree there. Talking with him later, I asked "did you know about Bonfire before you came to A&M?" "It's WHY I came here," he said, with frank military precision. We're seeing a new wave of old spirit - Aggies who come to campus set on the Bonfire experience. I for one look forward to their progress this year and long into the future.

For more about Bonfire visit studentbonfire.com and the Burn Night 2016 page. And follow Student Bonfire on twitter @StudentBonfire. There's also a Burn Night event page on facebook. Follow there for progress toward Burn and important news and updates.

Build the Hell Outta Bonfire!
dion-c.me
CharlieBrown17
DeadCiv
BTHOB
FtnTXAg03
AG
Last weekend, the first Double Cut of 2016 was on a temporary Cut Site - 17 acres on which Habitat for Humanity will be building 89 homes.

Cut III, Double Cut at Habitat for Humanity

Read more about the Habitat collaboration at The Eagle.
FtnTXAg03
AG

Bonfire's hitting its stride. Numbers are outstanding and motivation is high. This coming weekend will be Father/Son Cut. Always a great time.

Cut IIII
FtnTXAg03
AG

Father/Son Cut was this past weekend. On top of just being an outstanding time, in 14 years I have never seen as many Old Army Bonfire in the Woods. Good Bull. And log count is over the halfway mark.

Father/Son Cut, Pt. I
Father/Son Cut, Pt. II
CharlieBrown17
AG
Quote:

On top of just being an outstanding time, in 14 years I have never seen as many Old Army Bonfire in the Woods. Good Bull.

Old turnout was great. Got to hear quite a few stories from back in the day.
FtnTXAg03
AG

Last weekend was another Double Cut. A lot of trees on the ground in woods still wet from the week's rain. This weekend will be still another Double.

Cut VI
FtnTXAg03
AG

Last weekend was the last regular Cut of the season. Log count was good enough to give most of the Crews Saturday off. Walton still had a Double Load weekend. This weekend will be Dress Log Cut.

Cut VII
FtnTXAg03
AG
Bonfire is on to Stack, so progress will now be coming faster than photo updates may be able to keep up with. Centerpole Unload is posted.

Also, I've added a new feature to the website. When you are looking at an individual photo and would like to share it on TexAgs, there is a shortcut to "Click to copy forum code" to the right of the photo on desktop and underneath the photo on mobile.

Centerpole Unload
FtnTXAg03
AG

Perimeter Poles
Centerpole Raising
FtnTXAg03
AG
An outstanding Cut season wrapped up last weekend with Dress Logs. Stack photos are forthcoming.

Dress Log Cut
FtnTXAg03
AG
FtnTXAg03
AG

Chief Stack
FtnTXAg03
AG
Playing catch up with the first round of Stack photos (after Chief Stack). The Woods presented amazing stock. Stack is coming together beautifully, as I hope you'll see.

Stack I
FtnTXAg03
AG

Stack II
always gig em
AG
Gig 'em Ags
Rusty GCS
AG
Is the stack lit yet?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.