Bonfire in the SEC

11,321 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Howdy101
Fitch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In two months A&M will officially be in a new sports conference, an athletically elite and highly spirited conference at that. It's a change that breaks from the past, in more ways than can be readily counted (the most obvious is the indefinite hold put on the tu rivalry), and I think is a harbinger of a tectonic shift in the way A&M approaches and is received by the rest of the world.

So with all the changes happening in the culture against which Bonfire is set, I'm left worrying if explaining/continuing the activity will become harder and harder as older Ags - those that knew Bonfire on campus - become fewer in number or change to an SEC frame of mind. I've walked the MSC probably two dozen times since it opened a week ago (incredible, btw) but the only proof you can find that Bonfire was even a thing in A&M's culture is the carved wood panel that it dominates. That's a telling sign.

Although the organization has been improving and the event gaining momentum in recent years, as a disinterested observer it's apparent that Bonfire has been in a confusing, pseudo-purgatory, existence with the University since the collapse. And while this has kept it from being watered down in the modern (read politically correct) world we live in, it's done the organization no favors in terms of visibility.

Now, to me, one of the biggest distinguishing things about Bonfire is that it is spectacularly pointless. It's something that only gets done so that we, as Aggies, can have the experience of doing it - it makes better Aggies. To slap a label on it like the University has with athletics ("Texas A&M: Building Champions") would be to undermine and devalue the real value of the experience, akin to saying that "Bonfire is about hating texas."

But with a long term perspective in mind, do y'all think Bonfire could adopt some PR blurbs to help sell itself (and maybe garner more donations in the process) but not be sold short? Soundbites like "developing the nation's most committed leaders" or "a living link to a better time" could go a long way to winning over those who want to give to a cause with an easily articulated focus - and those types of folks usually have deeper pockets than the ones that tithe because of their fond memories. It *hint hint* may also get the University admins to a common ground where they don't have to condemn Student Bonfire. Although they probably can never condone it, that would still be a big step forward.

I'll trash on the organization only because those of you that know me know it's targeted as constructive criticism: Bonfire does not do a good job of courting Ags with bookoos of money. I'd bet a c-note that the same guys writing checks to renovate Kyle Field or have their names in the MSC would write a check to Student Bonfire because they effing bleed Texas A&M, but they don't currently because they don't know sh*t about SB or that it even exists. And I think that could be done without stepping on the University's toes in terms of association.

Then again, maybe all of this could be solved with a good ole grassroots marketing campaign. SEC culture is littered with examples of overly spirited, largely irrational, school-centric undertakings. And the A&M base is full of folks able and willing to give back to "the off-campus Bonfire" if they heard about it more than once a year in the fall (if at all).

Might as well make the most of the current state of disorder, don't you think?
HedleyLamar
AG
You bring up some great points, Fitch.

As to undermining/devaluing the experience, I don't think that a PR blurb would be too bad. I think using little blurbs is a pretty modern thing, but it's really the way the world works nowadays. True, Bonfire transcends generations and the whims of society, but the use of blurbs is more than that. People expect it. If they don't get it, they don't bother investigating the organization, content in moving on without being informed.

Having said that, any PR blurb would have to be extremely direct, without implying that Bonfire is in the realm of petty high school pranks. I'd say Building Tomorrow's Leaders is down the right road, in my humble opinion, but there are much better sloganeers than I.
G Martin 87
AG
quote:
Now, to me, one of the biggest distinguishing things about Bonfire is that it is spectacularly pointless. It's something that only gets done so that we, as Aggies, can have the experience of doing it - it makes better Aggies.

This is especially true in the SEC, without t.u. We all remember our campo -- Bonfire has an explicit purpose. But that purpose will not exist next season for the first time in nearly 100 years. On what basis would Bonfire continue? We have no other rival worthy of the effort.
HedleyLamar
AG
quote:
On what basis would Bonfire continue?

For the love of Texas A&M and to continue the Tradition that forms the bonds we hold so dear.

As for not having a rival worthy of the effort, Fitch posted a few months back to that, and I'll paraphrase since I don't have time to go find it.
quote:
If we need the outhouse and anti-tu stuff to give meaning to Bonfire, we're missing the point entirely.

And I think he was definitely right with that one.
I would like to say however, that in my opinion, we shouldn't completely drop anti-tu propaganda. True, we aren't playing them for a few years, but I really do see it being impossible for us to stop playing for any real significant amount of time.
Fitch
AG
I say keep the outhouse orange and put a gator skull on it, unless anyone has an extra tiger cranium laying around.

barney94
AG
"Symbolizing the burning desire to beat the hell out of tu" is not the purpose of building Bonfire, and in the hearts of those that build, it never was.

That was the reason for burning it. You could light a big pile of pallets and have yell practice and it would still serve the same purpose.

The process of building Bonfire is about doing it in grand fashion, the hard way. In doing so, great value to the participants is generated. Just a few benefits are listed:

1. Suburban kids learn how to bust their @ss for the first time in their lives. (I'm not hating, I was one of them)
2. Learning how to work hard for a common goal regardless of whether you get credit for it, and for the benefit of folks who just show up to watch it burn.
3. Learning to work within the hierarchy of an organization, and advance within it if that's your ambition.
4. Non-Corps members learn traditions through Bonfire participation with more depth than otherwise possible
5. Lifelong friendships are generated through the shared hard work...and more.

Further, I've been saying this since the beginning, the Student Bonfire kids have had to build this all from scratch, with opposition from the University, in the midst of a historic drought to boot. This makes them some tough SOBs who will know how to make things work in the real world. They should be applauded and supported.

Bonfire doesn't exist because of tu. Bonfire exists because of, and for the benefit of, Aggies. Don't anyone forget that.

That's why the OP's point is well taken. A consistent message on why Bonfire exists, and should continue to exist and improve in to the future, needs to be framed in and delivered through social media as we go through this time of change. Traditions will be challenged, some won't survive. This one needs to make it.

[This message has been edited by barney94 (edited 5/2/2012 6:19p).]
92Ag95
AG
Fitch, If you're not a writer...you should be.
jamesthomas
Fitch,

It does not make a hill of beans difference what conference we are in as far as Bonfire is concerned. Your point is just to drum up a discussion; as for that, you should be a journalist. We both know why Student Bonfire is continued; it is now as it has always been- to promote, perpetuate, and preserve the Aggie Spirit. This Aggie Spirit is many things to many people, which means it is not classified as a concrete or tangible item. For the past decades, the accepted practice is that the Spirit represented the "eternal desire to beat the Hell outta T.U."

Well, we are out of that game (at least in the form that once was) so it is time to adapt. Yes, this is a hard pill to swallow. But know this: without adaptation there is death. Look at the Egyptian dynasty and the International Harvester corporation for examples of institutions that aren't what they once were!

Student Bonfire will adapt to this challenge, as they have met and exceeded challenges in the past. Why? one may ask: simple-because they have to to survive.

Never mind the mule being blind, just load the goddamned wagon.
TexasRebel
AG
Aggies build Bonfire,
Bonfire builds Aggies.
FtnTXAg03
AG
With this very topical post in mind, I suggest attending tomorrow's annual meeting.

Leadership and the Board began addressing these very topics in December. It will take a steady hand, patience, and care, but attention to planned giving, donorship, Former Student involvement, and opportunities for ongoing stewardship are certainly called for. Much progress has been made on all of these fronts, to the extent that I have never seen so much enthusiasm and interest in all of Bonfire's years off-campus.

---
Gallery on fb, twitter

[This message has been edited by FtnTXAg03 (edited 5/5/2012 4:11p).]
Beau Holder
AG
Fitch.

[This message has been edited by Beau Holder (edited 5/14/2012 2:48p).]
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I want this to stay up front. Good write up Fitch.

I would love to do something more than sit on my duff. I was at A&M (fish year in the corps) when it fell in 1999. I had been to a few bonfires before coming to A&M and I participated as much as possible that fall in building the '99 Bonfire.

Admittedly, it's a sore spot in my soul that I avoid thinking about; which is probably why ALOT of Aggies don't participate or show interest lately.

It's become a relic, best remembered by many for the joy it used to be. People just get resentful of the administration for altogether ignoring anything bonfire related.

I want bonfire back, but I want the Corps to help build it (which the Admin forbids), I want the band to play at it (which the Admin forbids), and I want the football team to be there (which the Admin forbids).

Every year, the new bonfire is built by a bunch of outlaws (God bless them) and is burnt in relative obscurity as a token to bygone years remembered with a tear. It no longer represents a burning desire to beat the hell out of t.u.; it now stands a solemn and mournful requiem of what that unstoppable spirit used to be. My perception is that it is now more closely related to Silver Taps and Muster these days, than Midnight Yell or Gamedays.

[This message has been edited by SpreadsheetAg (edited 5/25/2012 10:51p).]
nkaechler
AG
With all due respect, I think a lot of people would disagree with these statements:
quote:
Corps to help build it (which the Admin forbids)
I've never seen any such policy put out by the University. Intimidation =/= policy

AND

quote:
by a bunch of outlaws
quote:
burnt is relative obscurity as a token to bygone years remembered with a tear
quote:
it now stands a solemn and mournful requiem of what that unstoppable spirit used to be. No, more closely related to Silver Taps and Muster these days, than Midnight Yell or Gamedays.

So, just like the "outside looking in" quote, I can't convince you unless you get some quality cut and/or stack time this fall. The interest and discussion on this is good though.

[This message has been edited by nkaechler (edited 5/25/2012 10:41p).]
SpreadsheetAg
AG
It is my understanding that Corps outfits cannot participate in an "official" capacity. i.e. As a unit going to cut; getting their own plot to kill trees and ****'em to the truck... at least that's how it was a few years back IIRC.

I see where outfits have Buttpots back, is that official?

http://www.studentbonfire.com/crews.html

[This message has been edited by SpreadsheetAg (edited 5/25/2012 10:55p).]
SpreadsheetAg
AG
FYI, I am not trying to stifle anything; I am genuinely ignorant of the current status because I lost touch with it after being so ... discouraged... by the lack of any news from the University. It's just not talked about at all anymore by the Alumni except for 4 threads here on TexAgs.

I am sure I represent a majority of Old Army in my ignorance.
FtnTXAg03
AG
The University in no way endorses or official-izes anything at today's Bonfire. But the students who once built Bonfire and held those pots have been returning (for years now) to meet the new generation. Whether out of curiousity, or a sense of legacy, the connections between old and new are strong, and growing stronger every year. In many (if not most) cases, the original pots themselves have been returned to Bonfire. In the case of the Red Pots, only one is missing, last I checked.

The Corps is well represented in Bonfire and its growth. Every year, the Corps has at least one Red (I know, "it should be all but one from the Corps") and one Brown (usually more). I can't recall a year where they didn't win a perimeter pole. And help me out here anybody, but I'm certain they got Centerpole pretty recently. And of course, the band builds the outhouse.

Still, the fact of the matter is that the University itself will never again endorse/promote/participate in Bonfire. Administrators at every level have made this clear. What is interesting is that the highest levels (in contrast to the middle-managers and errand-boys) have been encouraging, understanding the need for Bonfire to continue, even without the University's official support. There are those who keep close tabs. And not in the ways I once had to deal with.

Back in '03, the commandant had supposedly promised every cadet that if they participated in Bonfire, they would be removed from the Corps. So when he showed up "out of curiousity", I'd go meet him to "take him on a tour". As if he hadn't been on the same damn tour before. I'd walk slow and call him "All-steen" to aggravate him. He never made it back to the Corps woods, and if he had, by the time he got there, he wouldn't have found any CTs.

Since that time, similar "promises" have been made, but only ceremonially. There are others with longer tenure, and maybe (probably, certainly) a bit more say in the matter who quietly assure leadership and the Cadets themselves "you're good to go".

In short, without the help of the University (directly), what was once the students' Tradition is once again the students' Tradition.

---
Gallery on fb, twitter
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Good to hear... Is there an alumni plot? For those of us who may want to come pitch in for old times sake?
FtnTXAg03
AG
There are many ways for Former Students to get in a little work. A lot of folks get in with O.C. Joining up with the old crew is always an option, and one I would suggest. Cross-generational Good Bull is, well, Good Bull. And in the past there have been Old Man crews put together on the fly. Whether separate Old Man crews will work this year (with increased participation expected) is probably still left to be decided for sure.

But all participants have to get a Cut Card and take a Cut Class, even if just for a day, and even the hardest Ol' Army-est Bonfire-buildenest *******s there ever were. There are three pre-season Cut Classes, and a Cut Class in the morning before every Cut (for out-of-towners, stragglers, and Ol' Army).
rhutton125
AG
Very curious to see a current student's view on this. 3 years on campus (class of 2010) and I never once heard about how to get involved with any aspect of Bonfire except watching it burn. I guess that's south side for you.

I'm afraid it will die. The class of 2013 were in the 3rd grade when Bonfire collapsed. Not many memories of what it once was. Without a Thanksgiving game, and with things like burn bans, I'm not sure how the students will continue it. Will they know the reasons to?

Just my two cents. My only bonfire experiences were not building it, not knowing how to get involved, not being able to hear any speakers/yells (2010), and struggling to get our cars out of the mud and back to campus. Maybe I'm an outlier... or maybe that's the modern bonfire experience. Curious to see.
HedleyLamar
AG
I'd like to address a few of those points:

quote:
2013 were in the 3rd grade when Bonfire collapsed

Being in the class of 2012, I was in Fourth Grade. Coming into A&M, I had no idea Bonfire had started back up, nor do I have any memories of what Bonfire "used to be," and I think that point can be made for the majority of the people in Student Bonfire today.

What I do know, however, is that when I moved in to my freshman dorm (Lechner Hall), I was met with a very supportive, friendly community that was guided by upperclassmen, some of whom were involved with Student Bonfire. Seeing the bond they had with each other, I decided to accept their invitation to check Bonfire out for myself. (I guess that's Northside for you.)

Four years later, I can say without a doubt that I wouldn't change anything I've done in college for the world. The bonds I've made through hard work and sacrifice are, and have always been, the reason to do Bonfire. Anyone who's experienced it for what it is will tell you that.

That being said, we are still rebuilding. To my knowledge, SB only had one (maybe two) small crews on Southside back in the days when you would've been there. Now, we're growing, and have a few more crews down there, and I look forward to their success in bringing SB back to Southside.

Yes, we've had some back luck recently, but because of our leadership, we've gotten through it, and become arguably stronger because of it. Therefore, I don't see the SEC being a threat to Bonfire at all, given the continued leadership and commitment of everyone involved.
rhutton125
AG
Glad to hear it
Fitch
AG
This reinforces my opinion that the organization could use some better marketing.

Good post tho, HL
commando2004
AG
In a way, off-campus Bonfire was more visible as a 200-member organization than it is as a 1500-member organization. When I was a junior, it was hard to avoid all the articles in the Batt, the sidewalk chalk that said "bonfire2002.com", or the people in grodes standing in front of Kyle Field advertising Burn.
BrewmasterSB
Just to throw in my 2 cents here, we have a few interns from the University of Florida who have asked me about Bonfire last week. Apparently their perception is that its the kind of activity that fits in perfectly with the SEC. One of them even wants to come out to cut the weekend that we play them, since the game is at Kyle this year.

In regards to why we do it... honestly I could care less about tu. I am a former student (3 years out), but am involved both as a very active participant and a financial supporter for many reasons.

1. I really enjoy killing trees.

2. Its a great exercise in leadership and team building; there is nothing comparable in either academic or corporate environments ANYWHERE, and I see value in future generations of leaders that understand teambuilding on that fundamental of a level.

3. I really enjoy killing trees.

4. I think it makes young people tough and strong in a world where most are weak. Bonfire (in my mind) helps to balance out the world a bit.

5. It is an outlet for me to help mentor younger aggies; I help teach fish how to swing axes and machetes (family owns a small pine tree farm in east texas, so i grew up doing a lot of this kind of work), but also providing advice on selection of major, career development, i've even met a few people at cut who have asked for help on their resumes or have asked for me to be a professional reference on their job applications.

6. Since Student Bonfire is a 501c non-profit, it also happens to be my favorite charity, and I have a great deal of visibility on how my donations are being spent.

7. I really enjoy killing trees.

I would recommend getting involved to ANYONE, even former students are welcome and can easily find a crew to call home. And in recent years, it seems that more and more old people are sticking around (myself included).
BBYD09
AG
I can proudly say that I wore the same pot that was worn Pre-99. I have met, cut with, drank with, and locked arms to sing with with the same guys that wore my pot to build "real" bonfires. Those that built Bonfire have embraced us.

I'm not around anymore, but I come up whenever I can. Every year it gets stronger despite the admins attempts to stamp it out
AstonA99
Just a small correction to Barney94's post way back up the line. The purpose of burning Bonfire was not to symbolize our hatred of t.u. That was just sort of a peripheral benefit. As anyone who built it could tell you, the purpose of burning Bonfire was so that we could built it again next year.
FtnTXAg03
AG
That has got to be one of the things I'm proudest to see this Bonfire handle. For as long as anyone can remember, we've all said "we burn it to make room." But not a single generation has actually, literally had to do that. For two years, in the brief breaks from a monumental drought, Bonfire actually burned for the express purpose of making room.

So this generation has proven, emphatically, that we really do burn it to make room. And Aggies have finally for the first time experienced what that is like, burning for no other reason than clearing the field. I consider it a major contributor to the amount of support that the organization is seeing right now. More now at this time of year than I have ever seen.

---
Gallery on fb, twitter
aggiefootballfan2011
FtnTXAg03-I do like how you have pointed that out!

What do former, current, and future Aggies see Bonfire as in the SEC? Will the thought of Bonfire on campus eventually just not be a thought anymore (if that hasn't already happened) or will students always try to get it back on the campus?

Or has everyone just focused their attention on Student Bonfire and let the on campus version just be a memory?

I personally think Bonfire is better off with Student Bonfire because of the restrictions the University will have with it if it ever does go back to campus.

Is A&M still discouraging students from going to Bonfire or just saying that Bonfire is now off campus so stop asking about it being put back on campus?
commando2004
AG
quote:
What do former, current, and future Aggies see Bonfire as in the SEC?

It will be the same, with the possible exception of the decoration on top of Stack.

quote:
Will the thought of Bonfire on campus eventually just not be a thought anymore (if that hasn't already happened) or will students always try to get it back on the campus?

Or has everyone just focused their attention on Student Bonfire and let the on campus version just be a memory?

If neither the end of the lawsuit nor Rick Perry brought Bonfire back to campus, I don't know what would. There doesn't seem to be much of a movement for it anymore, BCS having disbanded 4 or 5 years ago.

quote:
I personally think Bonfire is better off with Student Bonfire because of the restrictions the University will have with it if it ever does go back to campus.

I agree. Bowen wanted to get rid of Cut.

quote:
Is A&M still discouraging students from going to Bonfire or just saying that Bonfire is now off campus so stop asking about it being put back on campus?

I'd have to ask the current students. But it seems like the university shifted to just not talking about Bonfire after they realized that the approach they used on us '04 and '05ers didn't work.
TexasRebel
AG
BCS was junk. It was one way the university attempted to stamp out the Aggie Spirit. Trading Bonfire for selling t-shirts.

It was a bit amusing that the "president" of BCS lived on the same block as Sr. Head Stack at one point.
Fitch
AG
Looking back I'd say it turned out pretty damn well.
Grits
Howdy101
aggiefootballfan2011-

I actually gave up asking about Bonfire's return to campus. Just like you said, the University would restrict it so much it wouldn't be worth it.

Besides, I like how the crews of Student Bonfire go to the Memorial every year. They say don't wear anything Bonfire related. That night is for solely remembering the 12 Fallen, which i agree with.

Those students died for what they believed in and we WILL remember them for that.

The University has so many restrictions its not worth it. Student Bonfire makes it MUCH safer.

Like Dion says, Bonfire is about the students.

Aggie Traditions are about the students.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.