Any old Appelt guys out there?

13,315 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Apaullo
CrockerTAMC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As many of you may know Student Bonfire is trying to bring some old dorms back into the fold and we here in Crocker are working on Appelt. We have the current residents but now we need the help of the old residents to resurrect the traditions. If you have any information from the old days (especially pictures) let us know so we can bring Appelt back to bonfire.

-Crocker Crew Chiefs 08
Student Bonfire
http://studentbonfire.com/
Fitch
AG
not an old guy. barely dead actually, but I'm going thru all the old year books over at the cushing archives and collecting all of the (written) dorm yells/chants. they're mostly pc, since they were gonna be in print.

they've got a lot of pictures too, let me know if you want some of the stuff. theres also old forum pages where some of the old stuff can still be found (dorm colors, some yells, pics, etc...)

Fitch '10 HHH
Keegan99
AG
The user "Bonfire 1996" posts on Business & Politics, and he was the first Appelt Yellowpot.
YouBet
AG
The only tradition I remember from my days in Appelt were that the upper classmen would sneak into your dorm room at night, put sheets over their heads like ghosts and yell "Wiggy, wiggy" at you.

But that has nothing to do with bonfire.
Bonfire1996
AG
Cool,

I wondered if our dorm would ever get pulled back into the fold. I was the first yellow pot in Appelt during Bonfire 1996. I would be happy to get you guys some info on stuff, for example...

- Pot lines (Turtle pot-crew chief, Jizz pot-crew chief, trucker pot-became yellow pot)
- Pot designs (green and white colors, axe handles along the sides, shamrock as the symbol as Appelt is an Irish name)
- Traditions - similar to all other dorms for bonfire, only significant unique one was we camped out at the Northeast perimeter pole from when centerpole arrived until it went up. If we were awarded a pole (we did in 1998 and 1999) we remained at that pole. I don't know how this relates to the current fire, but that would be pretty cool if they pulled that off.

- The Appelt deads don't keep in constant contact with each other, but we talk on occasion. We have an email network and if the current residents would like to put something together, I could assist.
Let me know if I can be of any help.
YouBet
AG
I guess I'm terrible Ag because I never participated in cut so I know nothing about cut traditions or anything about the terminology you guys use but I'm surprised '96 was the first year some of this stuff got started for Appelt with cut.

I lived there in '92 and I know we participated in cut then because I remember having the upper classmen bang on my door at the crack of dawn to go to cut. My roommate was actually Appelt (grandson of Les Appelt) but we never got involved with it.
Fitch
AG
the Appelt pot actually hangs right inside the main entrance to the dorm, so modeling it should be easy.
Bonfire1996
AG
You Bet - Appelt had crew chiefs since 1990, the year after it was built. But as is normal practice, or was rather, a new dorm must cut with another dorm until they earn the right and have enough consistent manpower to handle their own woods, then they get a yellow pot.

Our pot lineage goes back to 1990.
WH08PsyJayci
quote:
The only tradition I remember from my days in Appelt were that the upper classmen would sneak into your dorm room at night, put sheets over their heads like ghosts and yell "Wiggy, wiggy" at you.

i lol'd picturing this
CrockerTAMC
Bonfire 1996, we'd appreciate anything you can tell us, especially about fish pots. You can email me at codyzekecole@tamu.edu

-Crocker Crew Chiefs 08
Student Bonfire
http://studentbonfire.com/
Missing Link
I'm an old Appelt dead (Jiz). What do you want to know? I'm in regular contact with our last official crews (98 & 99).

Just sent you guys an e-mail.
sharkenleo
I lived in Appelt in 06 and 07.

[This message has been edited by sharkenleo (edited 10/5/2008 3:45a).]
aurdraco
quote:

I always thought I dreamed that, and I didn't even drink back then.

My major memory of the dorm is of people on different floors running cable so that they could hook up their computers to play Doom together on their 486s or Pentiums. Every once in a while, you'd hear, "TAKE THAT, MOTHER******ER!" followed by the sound of a chain saw or a BFG firing. Good times. Maintenance cut the cables several times, iirc.

/lived in Appelt fall 1993 to spring 1994, 4th floor.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I guess I'm the b*stard child of Appelt, since I never did get in contact with the old line. But I did light stack the first year off campus (SUP 2002) & run media relations. An Appelt fish of mine harvested the Austin City Limits sign that adorned Stack that year.

Let me know if I can be of any help.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
It was great running into Appelt guys out at stack last night. The new attitude/approach that keeps the northside vs. southside rivalry alive while still promoting Bonfire on southside is a smart move and one long overdue. Props to the Bonfire leadership for having the foresight to implement the "adopt a southside dorm plan" and the Crocker Cocks for helping get the Appelt Fur Trappers back on their feet.

I look forward to the chance to cut with my dorm next year.
northsidegreek06
AG
quote:
An Appelt fish of mine harvested the Austin City Limits sign that adorned Stack that year.

Ah the memories of that year... iirc, a few male fish from Hart accompanied that Appelt fish. I can picture him but can't remember his name.
alwaysdunn2011
cant forget about Dunn for the southside- northside rivalary... it will be interesting to see if we can get all the commons dorms involved next year
dahnmaralc
Howdy!

I cut with Hart Hall and a few buddies of mine from Appelt are working towards bring the crew back (again). We're wondering if any of you could give me your contact info or shoot me an email so I can get y'all in touch with the boys? They're really excited about getting info and are working hard to build community. They're currently cutting under us (though we consider ourselves Centralside) and the only Southside dorm alive at the moment is Krueger. Please email me at dahnmaralc@gmail.com if any of you would like to get in touch. Thanks!
WhoMp93
AG
Les Appelt 1999 said:

You Bet - Appelt had crew chiefs since 1990, the year after it was built. But as is normal practice, or was rather, a new dorm must cut with another dorm until they earn the right and have enough consistent manpower to handle their own woods, then they get a yellow pot.

Our pot lineage goes back to 1990.
1990 first crew chiefs were Chris
Cobb and Wayne Mussellman. I believe Wayne lives down by Victoria. Cut with Dunn at first. I think Chad was the Dunn piss pot at the time. We had a good turn out for the first few years since the dorm was 95% fish.
WhoMp93
AG
The tradition of Wiggy actually started with the Dorm council in '89. The RD at the time (Mark) wanted to find a way to get everyone to lock their doors at night for security.
So, after poker till about 1:30 one night, we grabbed our comforters off our bed, grabbed some flashlights and about 5 of us started checking door handles of friends of ours in the dorm to see if they were locked.

When we found one that was unlocked, we would have one guy put his comforter over the door so no light from the hall got in. Everyone else would sneak in, one would station at the light switch, the rest would surround the 2 beds. On the count of three, everyone would yell "AAAAAAHHHHHH'!!!! and flicker the lights on and off so you could see the expressions of fear and the wide eyes coming from the beds. Then everyone would head towards the door, chanting in a high pitched voice
"Wiggy, Wiggy, Wiggy Wiggy"

We then headed to the next unlocked door. Normally those 'Wiggyed' would look out their door, exclaim WTF!, grab their comforters and join the 'Wiggyers'.

There were some confrontations, one upset guy with a baseball bat, one poor guy who thought we were the klan, , but it worked. We would have less and less unlocked doors at 2am to Wiggy.

I still have the Wiggy shirt we had made from this. Amazingly it was approved after we added a black guy as a Wiggyer on the back of the shirt next to a guy in his bead, otherwise it did look pretty klanish.

We actually got to the point where we ran to Aston and Dunn and did some Wiggying over there, but only a few times.

I would recommend bringing back the tradition if needed, but would recommend several of the guys to be on the larger side as to defer any physical confrontations.
WhoMp93
AG
I'd add pics of the wiggy shirt, but haven't figured out how to add pics on here
dEAD zIP '93
jWil_34
Howdy!

My name is Jeffrey Wilber, and I am a fish at TAMU right now. So, Appelt Hall is apparently returning and apparently I am the person they want to make head chief, but since it has been gone for so long I know very little about Appelt bonfire aside from Les Appelt's pot that is still on display in the dorm. I will leave my email at the bottom but if any of you know anything about Appelt Bonfire the information will be much appreciated.

jeffreywilber15@gmail.com
KeaganH
bernard22
Appelt has new boys this year! A couple guys from different crew are reviving it.
moonpopper87
https://texags.com/forums/14/topics/3065087/replies/55082561
mrcline11
I am freshly dead from Appelt. If any Old army Appelt want to get back in touch with the Appelt Bonfire Crew shoot me an email at mrcline11@tamu.edu.
Apaullo
Who let Ande on Texags?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.