So I just got back from the TRANSFORMERS premiere...

3,847 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by Gig-Em2003
True Anomaly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I can't believe a guy named Shia LeBeouf is such a big star.

I can't believe a guy named Shia LeBeouf is really a GUY. I had to double-check to make sure it wasn't the name of an exotic French model.

Regardless, I don't know who you are, TCTTS, but that was a ****ing great story, and hopefully when you're done with Hollywood you'll write the tell-all book with the stories begging to be told.

"Ya gotta love livin', baby, 'cause dyin's a PAIN IN THE ASS!" -Frank Sinatra
BigAg95
AG
quote:
It's like Marty and his DeLoreon mixed with elements of the relationship between Elliot and E. T. (though I'll admit, obviously not as good as either). Only Sam (Shia LeBeouf) is able to have a genuine friendship with his car, with Bumblebee. And like E. T., it's actually kind of heartbreaking at times. There's a surprising bond formed there that I had no idea could work so well, and also be so funny.

It reminded me more of Gremlins than ET
TCTTS
AG
- Thanks True Anomaly, I appreciate it. And yeah, working in the industry I do, I've got plenty of stuff I'll have to put to paper someday when it's all said done. I've even had to sign confidentiality agreements after some of the stuff I've been a part of (let's just say one of those things involved me, a girl who shares the same name as the capital of France, and some grass (not the kind you mow)).

- And yeah, BigAg, Gremlins a good comparison. I never would have thought of that one. The whole Gismo/Bumblebee thing is a great parallel.
GI
Here's a question...if you watched the show in the 80's then you're familiar with Frank Welker's Megatron voice. Does Hugo Weaving convey the same menacing tone that Welker mastered?
wareagle044
quote:
It got a little silly when all of the autobots showed up and they did their little breakdance moves, but I assume that came from the cartoons which I never saw

there's a scene in the original movie from '86 where all the transformers dance to "Dare to be Stupid" thats my only guess
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
quote:
No Grimlock... and YES, they do make "the sound" when they transform. Though, it's more a part of a sound sequence rather than the entire sound, if that makes any sense. Since these things take a little longer to transform than they do in the cartoon, you hear a lot of different sounds, but THE transforming sound is definitely there.

I thought I noticed that familiar noise in one of the trailers!!! COOL!
TCTTS
AG
GI... you can't make out Weaving's voice AT ALL. It's so synthesized and machine-sounding that it's weird to me that they even spent the money on Weaving. It seriously could have been anyone. There IS one small little line where you can barely make out Weaving's voice, but it's only because it's almost the exact same dialog as from Matrix Revolutions. There's that line at the end where Agent Smith asks Neo, "What drives you? Is it faith, love... [etc]" Well Megatron asks Shai's character nearly the EXACT same thing; "What drives you, boy? Is it courage or stupidity?" Or something like that. But I doubt anyone in the theater even made that connection. ANYWAY, to answer your question, the voice IS menacing, and does have that same kind of scratchy-ness to it as the cartoon, it's just a lot deeper and not as annoying.
GI
quote:
GI... you can't make out Weaving's voice AT ALL. It's so synthesized and machine-sounding that it's weird to me that they even spent the money on Weaving. It seriously could have been anyone.

They didn't synthesize Peter Cullen's Prime voice too badly though did they?

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 6/29/2007 11:33a).]
TCTTS
AG
It's kind of sort of barely, barely synthesized, and a little more booming. But it's DEFINITELY Cullen and it's DEFINITELY Prime. The little bit they did to change it fits perfect with the movie, though.
Redstone
AG
I am geeking out every day more and more. I shall be there soon. And Michael Bay has never disappointed me (didn't see Pearl Harbor). Like John Woo, I go into the theatre expecting to be blown away by some serious explosions and other forms of kickassery.
bearamedic99
AG
KROQ overbooked their premiere of the movie by 50-60 people. I spent 2 hours driving in traffic to W Hollywood and then spend an hour in line only to be told they were full. Very nice experience.

Now I have to wait on this movie until the wife gets back to town on the 10th.

ps- I didn't actually read TCTTS's review so the movie won't be too hyped for my expectations.

TCTTS
AG
Dude, that SUCKS. I feel for you. And yeah, I do hype it up in the review, but I don't do so without a lot of precautions. It's not a perfect movie by any means.
nateaggie2000
AG
Plz give us the dinobots in the sequel.
Andyzipp
AG
When were Transformers (the first go around) popular?

I'm 36 and I have vague memories of my little brother playing with them in the mid to late 80's.

Do I (or my son) have to know all the backstories, etc to enjoy the movie, or is it pretty accessable?
TCTTS
AG
'85-'87 was the height of their popularity. And no, you don't have to know any backstories or anything like that. The story is designed to be accessible to everyone, like an introduction to this whole world. Knowing the lore only helps with the excitement factor, really.
AgShaun00
AG
I watched transformers the movie today.

Dinobots are incredible.
TCTTS
AG
By the way, guys... for those who have HBO, I'd stay away from the "Transformers: First Look" episode they started airing last Wednesday. It's not really spoilerish, obviously, but they show a TON of footage. So much so that I'm really glad I didn't see it before I saw the movie.

However, if you do want to hear Megatron speak, and see him in action briefly, they showed THIS clip from Shai's appearance on Letterman last night...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgkFM3M5exA
Keegan99
AG
51 more hours.
bendover
Honestly, is it better than the original transformer movie? And if it is, how so?

Is there a remix of "You've got the touch"?
wareagle044
quote:
Is there a remix of "You've got the touch"?

http://www.transformersalbum.com

not unless its a bonus track

[This message has been edited by wareagle044 (edited 7/1/2007 9:32a).]
TCTTS
AG
Yes, of course it's better than the original movie. I went back and watched (some of) the original yesterday, and it really is a pretty crappy movie by today's standard. I admit, the first 30 minutes or so, up until right after Megatron becomes "Galvatron," is pretty awesome. But after that, until the grand finale, it's just down-hill from there. I honestly had to fast forward through most of it, and I can usually put up with just about anything.

Now, if you were to ask me which movie was the better film and more important to me when I actually saw it in the theater, I'd have to go with the original. Transformers were my life back then, and that movie was life-changing. It had a bigger impact on me, but I was obviously more impressionable.

I will say this about the new one, though:

- It's one of the TOP FIVE action movies ever made.

- Overall, it features THE BEST special effects in any movie, ever. It obviously doesn't have as many effects shots as a Star Wars prequel or Pirates movie, but to simply compare the realism of effects, Transformers wins, hands down.

- Like I said in my initial post, it's THE BEST sound design in the history of cinema.

- And finally, it's THE BIGGEST movie I've ever seen. I know that sounds kind of vague, but you'll understand more after you see it. It's not quite epic as it is grand. It's just one GIANT action scene after another. Put simply, there was some guy behind me who said "Holy sh-t" at least 15 times throughout the movie. And he wasn't the fan-boy type either.

And sadly, there is no remake or mention of "The Touch" anywhere. Though, it does FEEL like a classic 80s story throughout. Not to mention, Bumblebee plays a couple of great 80s classic on his radio that definitely help set the mood.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 7/1/2007 4:14p).]
watty
AG
Methinks you need to calm down a little. It's a movie. It's not the return of Jesus Christ. It sounds like it's probably pretty good. But it also sounds like you are a little carried away by all the hoopla.

Although my interest in it is higher now than it was before.
KRT-1
NY Times review:

http://movies2.nytimes.com/2007/07/02/movies/02tran.html?ref=arts
LHIOB
AG
Im glad that you mentioned JP when talking about the awe of this movie.

The first time that you saw the T-Rex is a moment in movies that I will never forget.

I cant wait for this movie!

Let's Hug It Out B*tch - Ari Gold
ja86
AG
One thing you can always count on, the NYTs taking a summer popcorn flick and making it into a political diatribe.
TCTTS
AG
watty, I understand what you're saying and agree to an extent. But when you work out here and and surrounded by this kind of stuff 24/7, it's hard not place more importance on a movie than maybe it deserves. Especially when trying to achieve something like this is a career goal. It's kind of like some outsider walking up to you at Kyle Field right after we score a touchdown in OT to win a game. You're caught up in the moment, going ape shi-t - and to the someone who doesn't follow football, you may look like a complete moron. "It's a game. Not the return of Jesus Christ." We all have things we get way too excited about. Mine happens to be making & watching movies (along with watching football).
10thYrSr
With the past tendencies of NYT reporters, I'm not sure this guy actually went to the movie.
AggieEyes
AG
TCTTS thanks for the review and comments. It is much appreciated.
TCTTS
AG
Sure thing. Also, two reviews just hit AICN that pretty much sum up my exact sentiments. Both great reads...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33213

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33214
The Beer Snob
I stopped reading when you admitted to loving Michael Bay movies. I am truly speechless.
p_bubel

[This message has been edited by p_bubel (edited 7/2/2007 2:06p).]
TCTTS
AG
They're fun movies. I completely agree that they're sh-t, but I that doesn't make them any less fun. Maybe it's just my generation, I don't know. I was in high school when The Rock and Armageddon hit theaters, and everyone I know loved (and still loves) those movies.
The Beer Snob
quote:
They're fun movies. I completely agree that they're sh-t, but I that doesn't make them any less fun. Maybe it's just my generation, I don't know. I was in high school when The Rock and Armageddon hit theaters, and everyone I know loved (and still loves) those movies.
I'm only a year or two older than you, and I know plenty of my peers who hated those movies. But that's completely beside the point.

My first post sounded harsher than it was meant. It's just that the beginning of your epic post had me thinking maybe you were about to report something different and compelling about the Transformers movie that made it much more than just the huge action spectacle with absolutely no artistic merit that we expect from Michael Bay.

But when you said you love all his the movies, I realized where your post was going and didn't think I needed to read any more.
dreyOO
love is a strong word. i was entertained by the rock, the island, and armageddon.

also, that .gif is pretty funny!
old-Rudyjax
TCTTS is destined to make crappy movies that will make money. Nothing wrong with that.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.