NY Times Top 100 TV Shows of the 21st Century

3,208 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by YouBet
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HtownAg92 said:

O.G. said:

These lists are for rage/click bait. They mean absolutely nothing.

You're just a hater. I can't believe you would have a problem with Ru-Paul's Drag Race being ranked ahead of .....checks notes....Ozark, Ted Lasso, Silicon Valley.

Lol. I thought you were joking so looked again...

GTFO of here with this being above Slow Horses and pretty everything below 61 for that matter.

Quote:

59. PEN15
60. Peep Show
61 - RuPaul's Drag Race

CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I dont watch a lot of tv, so I was shocked at how many of these I'd seen:

5. Fleabag
7. Veep
8. 30 Rock
10. Atlanta
11. The Office (U.S.)
12. Arrested Development
16. The Office (U.K.)
29. Key & Peele
34. *****ts Creek
44. BoJack Horseman
50. Parks and Recreation
51. The Good Place
53. Stranger Things
56. Nathan for You
66 - The Rehearsal
68 - Ozark
75 - Ted Lasso
77 - Modern Family
78 - It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
87 - Reservation Dogs
97 - Community

Community is my comfort show. I return to that one a lot.

I've seen a couple of seasons of Squid Game and Curb Your Enthusiasm, but didn't finish them, so I omitted them from the list. I need to go back and watch Curb. Squid Game ran its course for me... I probably won't ever watch that third season.

This also reminds me I never finished Barry...
gigemags-99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've seen all episodes of these:

1. Breaking Bad - have rewatched 4 times
2. The Wire
6. Game of Thrones
24. Deadwood
26. Black Mirror
27. Better Call Saul
28. Band of Brothers
68 - Ozark
72 - Squid Game
74 - The Bear (haven't watched season 5 yet, but will soon)
81 - The Queens Gambit

I really thought it would've been more. Guess I've watched multiple seasons of someo of the other ones on the list, but dropped off at some point
SJEAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1. Breaking Bad
2. The Wire
3. Mad Men
4. Succession
7. Veep
11. The Office (U.S.)
14. Friday Night Lights
17. The Americans
19. Chernobyl
20. The Crown
22. Lost
26. Black Mirror
27. Better Call Saul
28. Band of Brothers
30. Severance
35. True Detective (season 1)
36. The Pitt
38. Homeland
40. Adolesence
41. Louie
43. Peaky Blinders
48. House of Cards
52. Downton Abbey
53. Stranger Things
68 - Ozark
71 - Beef
72 - Squid Game
73 - Barry
74 - The Bear
75 - Ted Lasso
77 - Modern Family
81 - The Queens Gambit
84 - Planet Earth
86 - Shogun
88 - Dexter
89 - Baby Reindeer
94 - The Diplomat
99 - Gilmore Girls

Mine. A couple of these I tapped out on before they finished (Homeland, House of Cards, Modern Family), but did at least a few seasons. I'd certainly change the order on most.
O.G.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Professor of Rock did a video on NY Times critics, his was music related but the same thing applies here.

AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wangus12 said:

BoB terribly low. No Scrubs?



TLC must have been voting.
EclipseAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
O.G. said:

Professor of Rock did a video on NY Times critics, his was music related but the same thing applies here.



Rick Beato did the same. He didn't hold back.

I'm surprised The Bear didn't rank higher. It's one of my favorites, and it always struck me as a show critics and industry folks would love.
Counterpoint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's good to see Nathan Fielder finally get some love on one of these lists!
Counterpoint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I loved both, but how can they put Key & Peele above Chappelles Show?
Complete Idiot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Counterpoint said:

I loved both, but how can they put Key & Peele above Chappelles Show?

55 episodes vs 28?

Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YouBet said:

In the top 10, I've never heard of Fleabag or Atlanta.

The US Office being ranked above the UK Office is braindead stupid.


Agreed but US audiences of course saw the US version more. I've found only about 10% of people who have watched the US version have even seen the British one.

It also suffers a bit from having basically 12 episodes and a 2 part xmas special (plus a revisited episode).

But those episodes were absolutely brilliant. The "Training" episode is among the greatest episodes of TV ever. It is unhinged and the most uncomfortable TV I've ever seen. It is what made me love those painfully awkward type episodes that so many others have copied. A couple of other episodes and the xmas Part 2 approach that level of greatness too.

The US Office almost got to that level a couple of times with Scott's Tots" and "Dinner Party".

YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

YouBet said:

In the top 10, I've never heard of Fleabag or Atlanta.

The US Office being ranked above the UK Office is braindead stupid.


Agreed but US audiences of course saw the US version more. I've found only about 10% of people who have watched the US version have even seen the British one.

It also suffers a bit from having basically 12 episodes and a 2 part xmas special (plus a revisited episode).

But those episodes were absolutely brilliant. The "Training" episode is among the greatest episodes of TV ever. It is unhinged and the most uncomfortable TV I've ever seen. It is what made me love those painfully awkward type episodes that so many others have copied. A couple of other episodes and the xmas Part 2 approach that level of greatness too.

The US Office almost got to that level a couple of times with Scott's Tots" and "Dinner Party".




Then shame on that 90%. The UK version is incredible. So, so uncomfortable and brilliant.
JMR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
The Last Kingdom didn't make it at all?

Invalid list
JMR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
And Chuck is absent too...

Definitely invalid list.
Kaiser von Wilhelm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
YouBet said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

YouBet said:

In the top 10, I've never heard of Fleabag or Atlanta.

The US Office being ranked above the UK Office is braindead stupid.


Agreed but US audiences of course saw the US version more. I've found only about 10% of people who have watched the US version have even seen the British one.

It also suffers a bit from having basically 12 episodes and a 2 part xmas special (plus a revisited episode).

But those episodes were absolutely brilliant. The "Training" episode is among the greatest episodes of TV ever. It is unhinged and the most uncomfortable TV I've ever seen. It is what made me love those painfully awkward type episodes that so many others have copied. A couple of other episodes and the xmas Part 2 approach that level of greatness too.

The US Office almost got to that level a couple of times with Scott's Tots" and "Dinner Party".




Then shame on that 90%. The UK version is incredible. So, so uncomfortable and brilliant.


Where can that one be watched?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mr Inbetween
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JMR said:

The Last Kingdom didn't make it at all?

Invalid list



I am a fellow The Last Kingdom fan. Feels like it never gets any attention.
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kaiser von Wilhelm said:

YouBet said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

YouBet said:

In the top 10, I've never heard of Fleabag or Atlanta.

The US Office being ranked above the UK Office is braindead stupid.


Agreed but US audiences of course saw the US version more. I've found only about 10% of people who have watched the US version have even seen the British one.

It also suffers a bit from having basically 12 episodes and a 2 part xmas special (plus a revisited episode).

But those episodes were absolutely brilliant. The "Training" episode is among the greatest episodes of TV ever. It is unhinged and the most uncomfortable TV I've ever seen. It is what made me love those painfully awkward type episodes that so many others have copied. A couple of other episodes and the xmas Part 2 approach that level of greatness too.

The US Office almost got to that level a couple of times with Scott's Tots" and "Dinner Party".




Then shame on that 90%. The UK version is incredible. So, so uncomfortable and brilliant.


Where can that one be watched?


HBO Max or Disney+ or Hulu it's on all of them.

Also I think through BritBox 7 day free trial (via Amazon for example)



OCEN99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The show's I've completed:

11. The Office (U.S.)
19. Chernobyl
20. The Crown
22. Lost
28. Band of Brothers
36. The Pitt
44. BoJack Horseman
50. Parks and Recreation
51. The Good Place
52. Downton Abbey
53. Stranger Things
78 - It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
81 - The Queens Gambit

Agreed on BoB being crazy low here, and I'd add The Good Place to the criminally underrated list.
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YouBet said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

YouBet said:

In the top 10, I've never heard of Fleabag or Atlanta.

The US Office being ranked above the UK Office is braindead stupid.


Agreed but US audiences of course saw the US version more. I've found only about 10% of people who have watched the US version have even seen the British one.

It also suffers a bit from having basically 12 episodes and a 2 part xmas special (plus a revisited episode).

But those episodes were absolutely brilliant. The "Training" episode is among the greatest episodes of TV ever. It is unhinged and the most uncomfortable TV I've ever seen. It is what made me love those painfully awkward type episodes that so many others have copied. A couple of other episodes and the xmas Part 2 approach that level of greatness too.

The US Office almost got to that level a couple of times with Scott's Tots" and "Dinner Party".




Then shame on that 90%. The UK version is incredible. So, so uncomfortable and brilliant.

I've watched the UK version all the way through, couldn't wait for it to be done. Just didn't like it, also might be because ive always thought Ricky Gervais was annoying and unfunny.
SJEAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just realized The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is missing, that seems egregious. Top 25 worthy IMO.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SJEAg said:

Just realized The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is missing, that seems egregious. Top 25 worthy IMO.


Rupaul's Drag Race, brah. Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is trash compared to that.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lolz I'm blind.

The Wire is my #1 here. House of Cards was incredible until the last season. Nip/Tuck?
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

Where is The Sapranos?

It's the greatest show in terms characters and dialogue. It paved the way for every modern show. Don't have it #1? That's ok but it's top 5 with The Wire (best show written in terms of plot development), Breaking Bad, BoB, and Mad Men.

Any list with The Sapranos not top 5 much less left off is not serious.


Literally called out in the OP as to why. Read it again.
HtownAg92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think he meant that other show about a family of gullible losers who are frequently taken advantage of. You remember, it came on just before that car repair show called Braking Bad.
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YouBet said:

VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

Where is The Sapranos?

It's the greatest show in terms characters and dialogue. It paved the way for every modern show. Don't have it #1? That's ok but it's top 5 with The Wire (best show written in terms of plot development), Breaking Bad, BoB, and Mad Men.

Any list with The Sapranos not top 5 much less left off is not serious.


Literally called out in the OP as to why. Read it again.


I saw that and I get it but....

It's kind of a terrible line in the sand because The Sopranos redefined TV. And it debuted just one year ahead of this random line in 1999 and the show lasted until 2007.

Not calling the Sopranos the best show since 2000 is just comical really. It dominated television for 8 years.

It won 21 Emmy's and had 111 nominations.



There is literally very much TV before the Sopranos and TV after the Sopranos.

YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I dont disagree. One could argue it ushered in the golden age of tv we've all enjoyed these last 26 years.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.