Older Movies

3,760 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by redline248
agimarc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you've got cable or stream, find Turner Classic Movies (TCM). Full length older movies. No commercials. 24/7 service. Might fill your square. Cheers -
Claude!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Principal Uncertainty said:

Two just mentioned The Maltese Falcon. It frequently gets mentioned in lists like this, so I watched it once when I had nothing pressing to do. I don't get it. Really? It's slow. Meandering plot. Dead-pan deliveries. No great climax to speak of. No great resolution of tension. I can't think of a single thing mentionable about watching this thing. Guys, please help me out. What did I miss?

As my entry, I would add The Geaduate". Is that old enough for this list? Too risqu for young audiences?

I am probably biased, since I've a big fan of Dashiell Hammett, but I adore the movie. It's in some ways the prototypical hard-boiled detective movie - you have the heroic detective who's tempted but ultimately not tarnished by the femme fatale, the macguffin that people are killing each other over, and a cast of supporting character actors that add to the film's heft (literally, in the case of Sidney Greenstreet).
citizenkane06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AustinAg2K said:

1996 said:

My 7 and 10 year old boys love anything with Buster Keaton!

In a lot of ways, the special effects in Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin movies amaze me even more than movies today. Today, they would just CGI everything, but that wasn't an option back then. Seeing what you can do with forced perspective, a little math, and straight up ingenuity is incredible.


There's a great story of Buster Keaton almost getting knocked out in a bursting water tower scene in Sherlock, Jr. Years later, after having headaches and neck pain, he had an X-ray and was told his neck had been broken and tried to heal.
Pacifico
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gone with the Wind.
surfandturfsbisa96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Head Ninja In Charge said:

Casablanca still has like the tightest screenplay ever IMO. Not a single line wasted. Air tight. Infinitely rewatchable.

For extra credit in history last year, my son had to watch a movie that was filmed during WWII. I told him to watch Casablanca, and he was not happy about it. He was convinced it was a sappy love story, but since there aren't many choices from that time, he agreed to watch it. As soon as the movie was done, he turned to me and said, "Damn it. That was really friggin' good."

I have always loved this movie, but I saw it on the big screen at the Paramount in Austin once and it seemed to much more real and funny. I caught a lot of jokes and witticism that you just miss on the small screen.
surfandturfsbisa96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
citizenkane06 said:

AustinAg2K said:

1996 said:

My 7 and 10 year old boys love anything with Buster Keaton!

In a lot of ways, the special effects in Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin movies amaze me even more than movies today. Today, they would just CGI everything, but that wasn't an option back then. Seeing what you can do with forced perspective, a little math, and straight up ingenuity is incredible.


There's a great story of Buster Keaton almost getting knocked out in a bursting water tower scene in Sherlock, Jr. Years later, after having headaches and neck pain, he had an X-ray and was told his neck had been broken and tried to heal.

There are comp videos on Youtube of his best stunts. They are amazing. I showed them to my seventh grade class and they were even impressed and watched.
Apache
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Love a lot of these movies. I'll add:
Flight of the Phoenix (60s version)
Sahara (Bogey)
Shane
The Dirty Dozen
The Hustler
Cool Hand Luke
ryanhnc10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Random one that is pretty interesting is 7 Faces of Dr. Lao
Trajan88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Dishonored Lady"
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039324/

"Dark Journey"
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028767/

"The Heroes of Telemark"
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059263/

"The Petrified Forest"
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028096/

"The Light at the Edge of the World"
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067345/
Ferg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brigadoon
National Velvet
Lassie Come Home
On the Town
The Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes Movies
The Maltese Falcon
The Quiet Man
The Pony Express(1953)
How The West Was Won(1962)
Key Largo
The Lost World
Voyage To the Bottom of the Sea
Ice Station Zebra
Where Eagles Dare
any John Wayne western or WW 2 Movie
Dragnet
The D.I.
Mr Smith Goes to Washington
The Adventures of Robin Hood (Errol Flynn)
They Died With Their Boots On
From Russia With Love
Eliminatus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is a fun one.

Not exactly PC these days but probably the only musical that can keep my attention.
maverick2076
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Came here to post that one. Also:

Arsenic and Old Lace
Father Goose
Operation Petticoat
rhutton125
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love the Maltese Falcon. It was the first Bogey movie I saw and I loved his swagger and confidence. It's not an "exciting" movie but it's got an intricate plot (IIRC) and the way he pieces it all together and solves the case is great. And isn't fooled by the femme fatale. He portrays as a somewhat morally ambiguous character but in the end does the right thing. It's awesome.

Also IIRC it's really short, so way more approachable than something like Sierra Madre or something that feels way longer than it is. Maybe it's the "old movie" aspect but that one didn't hold me when I went through an old classics phase.
AGC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Thin Man - another Hammett adaptation (book is better, but the movie stands on its own). It's a comedic detective novel in the roaring 20s with a great cast and good characters. They made a series of them, but the first is the best, though 2 and 3 aren't bad either.

The Quiet Man - John Wayne in a non-western, as he returns to his ancestral home of Ireland to work through trauma he experienced in the states, and falls in love but has to overcome her brother's objections.

High Noon - dramatic western where the sheriff has to choose between getting married and moving on, or finishing a fight with the gang, he sent to prison.

3:10 to Yuma - another western, where a man trying to save his farm has to choose between what's right and what's safe/easy after an outlaw comes to town.

True Grit - I prefer the original to the remake.
lurker76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Winchester 74
Hatari
The Man Who Would Be King
The Wind And The Lion
Red River
Shane
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
citizenkane06 said:

Try some silent films like Safety Last, The Gold Rush, City Lights, The General, Nosferatu, and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

I turned on our TV tonight and for some reason it defaulted to an episode of Portlandia and the skit it was on was literally about this movie.

I just assumed it was a made up, fake movie because....Portlandia. And the title is ridiculous.

And then I click on this 10-day old thread which I hadn't seen, and I see you mention it here....so it's real?

What in the world are the odds.
citizenkane06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YouBet said:

citizenkane06 said:

Try some silent films like Safety Last, The Gold Rush, City Lights, The General, Nosferatu, and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

I turned on our TV tonight and for some reason it defaulted to an episode of Portlandia and the skit it was on was literally about this movie.

I just assumed it was a made up, fake movie because....Portlandia. And the title is ridiculous.

And then I click on this 10-day old thread which I hadn't seen, and I see you mention it here....so it's real?

What in the world are the odds.


It's real and a great pieve of German Expressionism! Now I have to go find that episode of Portlandia!
CharleyKerfeld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I loved watching Jason and the Argonauts (63) and The Black Shield of Falworth with Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh (54) when I was a kid. They were staples on Channel 39 in Houston when we had to visit my grandmother every Sunday afternoon.

Seeing the revolutionary stop-motion effects by all-time legend Ray Harryahusen in "Jason" is pretty dazzling.
BaileyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Marty
Good Neighbor Sam
Any WC Fields
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
citizenkane06 said:

YouBet said:

citizenkane06 said:

Try some silent films like Safety Last, The Gold Rush, City Lights, The General, Nosferatu, and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

I turned on our TV tonight and for some reason it defaulted to an episode of Portlandia and the skit it was on was literally about this movie.

I just assumed it was a made up, fake movie because....Portlandia. And the title is ridiculous.

And then I click on this 10-day old thread which I hadn't seen, and I see you mention it here....so it's real?

What in the world are the odds.


It's real and a great pieve of German Expressionism! Now I have to go find that episode of Portlandia!


It's pretty funny. I can't believe it's real.
OldArmy71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
lurker76 said:

Winchester 74
Hatari
The Man Who Would Be King
The Wind And The Lion
Red River
Shane

Winchester 73
safety guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agdoc2001 said:

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken
The Shakiest Gun in the West
The Apple Dumpling Gang

What? No love for The Incredible Mr. Limpet or The Reluctant Astronaut.
surfandturfsbisa96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OldArmy71 said:

lurker76 said:

Winchester 74
Hatari
The Man Who Would Be King
The Wind And The Lion
Red River
Shane

Winchester 73

Nice list- IDK about Hatari though. Shane is so good.
OldArmy71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was just pointing out that the James Stewart movie is Winchester 73, not 74.
jkag89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
maverick2076 said:

Came here to post that one. Also:

Arsenic and Old Lace
Father Goose
Operation Petticoat

Cary Grant! Usually you can't miss with a comedy in which he stars so I'm adding Bringing Up Baby to the above list..

Also any movie with Grace Kelly. Not all of them are particularly good (or at least aged well) but hey you get to look at Grace Kelly for a couple hours. The good ones; the three Hitchcock films in which she co-stars; High Noon and The Bridges of Toko-Ri.
Aggies76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ben Hur
It's a Wonderful Life
The Sting
All the President's Men
Claude!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Court Jester starring Danny Kaye.

The vessel with the pestle holds the brew that is true.
lurker76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OldArmy71 said:

lurker76 said:

Winchester 74
Hatari
The Man Who Would Be King
The Wind And The Lion
Red River
Shane

Winchester 73

Thanks. It's one of my favorite movies and completely whiffed on the title fail. I guess it requires a watch soon.
lurker76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
surfandturfsbisa96 said:

OldArmy71 said:

lurker76 said:

Winchester 74
Hatari
The Man Who Would Be King
The Wind And The Lion
Red River
Shane

Winchester 73

Nice list- IDK about Hatari though. Shane is so good.

C'mon, man. What don't you like about Hatari? John Wayne, Red Buttons, African big game, a Henry Mancini soundtrack. Sure it's a little corny, but it's still a great movie.
OldArmy71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It is a great movie and I watch it every time it happens to come on. Amazing cast. Tony Curtis in a Western!
HalifaxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agree on Hatari, absolute classic

Godfather 1 & 2
The Mel Brooks movies of course--even the lesser knowns like To be or Not to Be
Dirty Dozen
My Fair Lady
Marx Bros movies worth a look
Bridge Over the River Kwai (sp?)
Caveman
Outlaw Josey Wales


so many to choose from!
surfandturfsbisa96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
lurker76 said:

surfandturfsbisa96 said:

OldArmy71 said:

lurker76 said:

Winchester 74
Hatari
The Man Who Would Be King
The Wind And The Lion
Red River
Shane

Winchester 73

Nice list- IDK about Hatari though. Shane is so good.

C'mon, man. What don't you like about Hatari? John Wayne, Red Buttons, African big game, a Henry Mancini soundtrack. Sure it's a little corny, but it's still a great movie.

Okay, okay. I'll back down from that Just not my favorite Duke movie. By far not his worst, though.
snowaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
People have listed it before me, but I'm a big Lawrence of Arabia fan. Watch it in Blu Ray or 4K on a huge home theater screen. It's 65 years old and you won't believe the cinematography.
Duckhook
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I always recommend these back-to-back, in this order:

Fail Safe

Dr. Strangelove
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2nd vote for Bringing Up Baby and a movie named Harvey
Refresh
Page 2 of 2 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.