Streets of Laredo

1,545 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Thunder18
DTP02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have read "Lonesome Dove" and quite enjoyed it. I have heard it's by far McMurtry's best book, or at least it's the best in the series.

For those who read Lonesome Dove and Streets of Laredo, are you glad you read SOL?

I heard one plot point which is that Pea marries Lori, which seems completely nonsensical to me, and makes me even more skeptical.
Wolfpac 08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought this was a Laredo Heat thread
brew82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I read the series in chronological order a couple of years ago. Streets of Laredo was by far my least favorite of the 4 books. I would have stopped after reading Lonesome Dove if I did it again.

Chronological order is Dead Man's Walk, Comanche Moon, Lonesome Dove, Streets of Laredo.
Skinny Jorvorskie Lane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Agreed. Streets of Laredo is the worst of the 4
surfandturfsbisa96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I loved Lonesome Dove the book and loved the mini series even more.

I never was crazy about the other volumes in the series. It has been many, many years since I read them, but he seemed to go out of his way to deconstruct the heroes. At least that is my memory. I had other quibbles with the novels, but I'll leave it at that. My college roommates were all fans and we'd debate the new books as they were released. I could be wrong, but I remember reading that McMurtry was so unhappy with the Lonesome Dove sequel miniseries (not based on his works) that he tried his best to tear it apart with SOL.

Bottom line I'd probably suggest reading it, but don't expect the same level of enjoyment.

Side note, I am related to Barry Corbin, who played Roscoe, and for many years worked with a lady whose uncle was Frederick Forrest, who played Blue Duck. We had fun joking about who killed who in the book and show.

maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Barry Corbin was excellent in Northern Exposure.
Mat Lanticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The story is bleak and dumb at the same time
TyHolden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I found a signed copy of Lonesome Dove at Goodwill a couple years back. I forgot about it until now. Is it worth anything?


stay low boys. keep those feet moving. go be perfect.

- chavez (fnl)
The System
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Read all for in chronological order last summer. Streets of Laredo was not good. I second the poster above who said he were to read them again, he'd stop after Lonesome Dove.
O.G.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DTP02 said:

I have read "Lonesome Dove" and quite enjoyed it. I have heard it's by far McMurtry's best book, or at least it's the best in the series.

For those who read Lonesome Dove and Streets of Laredo, are you glad you read SOL?

I heard one plot point which is that Pea marries Lori, which seems completely nonsensical to me, and makes me even more skeptical.

This part made no sense after watching Lonesome Dove.
BigCityCold
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Another vote here for chronological order.

I remember walking into the Hastings in Victoria to buy Lonesome Dove after finishing Dead Man's Walk. Comanche Moon was a new release at the time and I had no idea. Bought them both. Comanche Moon remains my favorite in the Series.

I would also recommend "The Border Trilogy" by Cormac McCarthy in order, of course.
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DTP02 said:

I have read "Lonesome Dove" and quite enjoyed it. I have heard it's by far McMurtry's best book, or at least it's the best in the series.

For those who read Lonesome Dove and Streets of Laredo, are you glad you read SOL?

I heard one plot point which is that Pea marries Lori, which seems completely nonsensical to me, and makes me even more skeptical.

Pea and Lori marrying only makes sense in the book world. In the books, Jake, Pea and Deets are all 10 years or so younger than Gus and Call.

McMurtry dedicates a little time to explain the marriage in SOL, so once you accept that it makes for an easier read.

SOL is such a dark and violent book, it's not for everyone. McMurtry seems to almost hate Woodrow Call.
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BigCityCold said:

Another vote here for chronological order.

I remember walking into the Hastings in Victoria to buy Lonesome Dove after finishing Dead Man's Walk. Comanche Moon was a new release at the time and I had no idea. Bought them both. Comanche Moon remains my favorite in the Series.

I would also recommend "The Border Trilogy" by Cormac McCarthy in order, of course.

Comanche Moon is so good. I can't put it above Lonesome Dove because LD is my favorite work of fiction but it's definitely the second best of the LD series.

The characters of Inish Scull and his wife were bonkers in such a great way.
O.G.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Belton Ag said:

DTP02 said:

I have read "Lonesome Dove" and quite enjoyed it. I have heard it's by far McMurtry's best book, or at least it's the best in the series.

For those who read Lonesome Dove and Streets of Laredo, are you glad you read SOL?

I heard one plot point which is that Pea marries Lori, which seems completely nonsensical to me, and makes me even more skeptical.

Pea and Lori marrying only makes sense in the book world. In the books, Jake, Pea and Deets are all 10 years or so younger than Gus and Call.

McMurtry dedicates a little time to explain the marriage in SOL, so once you accept that it makes for an easier read.

SOL is such a dark and violent book, it's not for everyone. McMurtry seems to almost hate Woodrow Call.

That happens over time as a writer develops a character. Stephen King touched on it in his book, On Writing.
Tree Hugger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

I would also recommend "The Border Trilogy" by Cormac McCarthy in order, of course.

I've read a few of McCarthy's books but my main complaint is that he doesn't necessarily end, or even pause the story he is telling, he just kind of stops writing it. I may need to look more into the Border Trilogy and see if that changes my mind.
Dave Robicheaux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If anyone is in to audiobooks, Will Patton narrates Lonesome Dove and its amazing. He may be as far as celebrities the best out there for the genre.
Thunder18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Comanche Moon is definitely my 2nd favorite LD book

Think I'm due for a full series re-read soon
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.