*** Mission Impossible - The Final Reckoning - SPOILERS! ***

17,036 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by Chipotlemonger
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Finally watched it today. Big caveat that it was at home so no big screen.
But manufactured crisis to manufactured crisis, and they couldn't find time to explain what the hell happened to Luther or what he was sick from? "What's the play" should be a drinking game. And if Luther can't solve the bomb, Gabriel is happy to die I guess? And all the uranium that was still released under London? The Inuit woman can't mush the sled cuz she needs a nap? Why did the entity even need US nukes? It could have just done what it wanted to do with Russia's. How many timers were in the movie? Cruise gets the crap kicked out of him on the sub, five minutes later he's fine and out surfacing from 500 feet. He suffers the most extreme case of bends in human history and a short plane ride halfway around the world later, he's good to go.
Just felt like it tried way too hard on the adrenaline side and were lazy on the plot side.

Despite all that, the last 10 minutes or so made it worth it. Loved the final soliloquy from Luther, he deserved that. I read it was a Chris M decision to do kill him off, to give it more stakes. But the look on Simon Pegg's face in the final scene said it was likely the end for all of them. Which I'm fine with, think the franchise as it stands has run its course.

I did actually enjoy the callbacks, especially Donloe, and I am sure the submarine and plane scenes were amazing on the big screen.
GoAgs92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just started watching this on prime, obviously the first part of the movie is getting everyone up to speed from the last movie.

By the time I was caught up and the movie actually started, I was bored.

Entity Schmentity...who cares....I turned it off.
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll add a contrasting point to the last post. I just watched this recently for the first time and enjoyed it for what it was. Based on the prior few MI movies I wasn't expecting much from the villain side of things. But the action and scenes here and there are what make up for it.

Hope they leave it as is series wise. What's funny is that I actually enjoy MI:2…I think a lot of that though is because of my age when it came out.

My rankings right now off the top of my head:

1, 6, 8, 2, 5, 7, 4, 3
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.