*** THE APPRENTICE *** (Donald Trump Movie)

1,454 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by TaggiesT
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Giving this movie its own thread, if only to keep any further discourse out of the general movie trailer thread...

The Apprentice
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8368368/
October 11, 2024
Theatrical Exclusive

zap
AG
Premiers in October...NICE
RogerFurlong
Pretty terrible Trump impression. Someone could come out with a really good movie on Trump. It would have to wait a long time until people calm down about him though.
rhutton125
AG
I finally watched Zero Dark Thirty the other day and was reading about the hubbub surrounding when it would release relative to the election that year. Would it be pro-Obama, would it be pro-Bush era, etc.

Curious if that will be the case here. Is it glamorizing? Is it satirizing? Will anyone seek to block or delay it? Etc.
TCTTS
AG
Trump already tried to delay it by threatening to sue whoever bought it (it was produced independently), but he then of course backed down after Briarcliff acquired it/called his bluff. I seriously doubt anything else attempts to stop it from coming out in the next month.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Page 1. Odds this thread makes it to the release of the movie? Very slim imo.
TCTTS
AG
RogerFurlong said:

Pretty terrible Trump impression. Someone could come out with a really good movie on Trump. It would have to wait a long time until people calm down about him though.

I actually don't mind Sebastian Stan doing his own thing here. IMO, even if not 100% accurate, it helps paint a picture of Trump before Roy Cohn (played by Jeremy Strong). You can even see in the trailer how Stan then dabbles in slightly more of a traditional impersonation, after being molded by Cohn, without going full traditional impersonation. Which I think is smart, as this is basically an origin story of sorts.
Petrino1
According to the film's Wikipedia page, there's a scene of Trump violently raping his first wife.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Apprentice_(2024_film)
TCTTS
AG
Which she accused him of doing in real life...

Quote:

The rape scene was based on divorce records. In a deposition relating to their divorce, Ivana accused Donald of rape and of pulling out her hair by the handful when his plastic surgery to alter his hairline failed.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Can someone in the media tell me the word for the opposite of Hagiography?
TCTTS
AG
For the record, echoing what I said a few days ago in the general trailer thread, while the movie does depict Trump being his usual, horrible self, I've heard repeatedly that it's also apparently somewhat sympathetic toward him, and almost kind of sort of paints him as a victim at the hands of Roy Cohn. In other words, this isn't the straight hit piece many are expecting it to be, to the point where a few of those on the left who have seen it have expressed concern than it humanizes/sympathizes Trump in a way that might influence some voters. Personally, I can't see anyone actually being swayed by the movie either way, but who knows...
The Porkchop Express
AG
is that really Roy Cohn or just a few years older Kendall Roy?

RogerFurlong
TCTTS said:

Which she accused him of doing in real life...

Quote:

The rape scene was based on divorce records. In a deposition relating to their divorce, Ivana accused Donald of rape and of pulling out her hair by the handful when his plastic surgery to alter his hairline failed.

She didn't mean he physically raped her.
"That was all just the lawyers' talk", she said, after having previously clarified she did not accuse him in "a literal or criminal sense".
TCTTS
AG
To be clear, she did, in fact, initially describe an actual, physical assault, one that was not metaphorical or "lawyer talk"...

Quote:

She claimed that Trump pushed her to the floor and pulled out handfuls of her hair. Ivana initially described what followed as a rape, but later walked back on the claim. In a 1993 statement, she said, "On one occasion during 1989, Mr Trump and I had marital relations in which he behaved very differently towards me than he had during our marriage. As a woman I felt violated... I referred to this as a rape, but I do not want my words to be interpreted in a literal or criminal sense."

Walking some of that back doesn't mean it didn't happen, only that her story eventually changed, for any number of reasons. I'm not here to make a judgment call either way, I'm just saying that the filmmakers didn't pull it out of thin air.
javajaws
AG
TCTTS said:

For the record, echoing what I said a few days ago in the general trailer thread, while the movie does depict Trump being his usual, horrible self, I've heard repeatedly that it's also apparently somewhat sympathetic toward him, and almost kind of sort of paints him as a victim at the hands of Roy Cohn. In other words, this isn't the straight hit piece many are expecting it to be, to the point where a few of those on the left who have seen it have expressed concern than it humanizes/sympathizes Trump in a way that might influence some voters. Personally, I can't see anyone actually being swayed by the movie either way, but who knows...
I don't think you have a good appreciation for how much of America votes based on how they feel about a candidate (and how impressionable those feelings can be) vs how they stand politically or well anything else for that matter. And that goes for voters who typically vote on the left AND right ends of the political spectrum. Its a stupid way to vote....but I don't think anybody has ever accused the average voter of being smart.
TCTTS
AG
I totally get that. I'm just saying, A) when it comes to Trump, everyone mostly had their minds made up long ago, and likely isn't going to change them a month before the election, while B) hardly anyone is going to see this movie in theaters regardless, as it's an indie release, not going wide, and probably won't hit streaming until after the election.
TCTTS
AG
A pretty good summation of a number of reactions I've seen so far, this one from Jeff Sneider...

Quote:

Written by Gabriel Sherman, The Apprentice has proven to be a lightning rod on the film festival circuit this fall. It's also the best film I've seen at TIFF thus far, as there's real merit to this movie - it isn't just some pre-election stunt designed to show a candidate in a bad light.

In fact, as I wrote in my review, the real power (and danger) of this film is that it makes Trump come off as somewhat relatable - at least in its first half before his ego runs off the rails.

The Apprentice is centered around young Trump's relationship with Cohn (Jeremy Strong) and his courtship of Ivana Zelnkov (Maria Bakalova) in the '70s. The film is drawing controversy regarding a scene in which Donald rapes Ivana, but other than that scene, there's nothing all that controversial about it.

It's just a damn good movie, featuring two powerhouse performances from Stan and Strong. For more, click here to read my full review, but regardless of where you fall on the political spectrum, you should make time to see The Apprentice when it hits theaters on Oct. 11 via Briarcliff Entertainment.
The Porkchop Express
AG
So are we betting on days before this thread is locked or # of posts?
captkirk
AG
When is the Kamala/Willie Brown biopic hitting theaters?
Claude!
captkirk said:

NC17 - couldn't get distribution.
BCSWguru
who is the target audience for this? nobody wants to see this crap. Reminds me of all those anti-war middle east movies during W's tenure.
Al Bula
AG
Page 1

TaggiesT
captkirk said:

Did they have an Emmy nominated TV series too?
Looking forward to this, loved the first season of The Apprentice. Hopefully this one is a success and we get sequels for the other seasons.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.