Finished probably my 6th rewatch of The Wire

1,761 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Stive
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Obligatory 42315.

While it's not Duncan Idaho's favorite cop show, it is the best show ever made imho. We've talked a lot about it on here, but I got to wondering. Which season has the best intro cover (although season 2 is the original I guess)? How would you rank them?

Season 1-
Season 2-
Season 3-
Season 4-
Season 5-

24135 for me. Wonder if that will change on rewatch.
StinkyPinky
AG
One of my favorite shows but have only watched it once (which is my norm, hate to watch shows that I've already seen). But going to make this the exception. It's been long enough and time to watch again.
Proposition Joe
I think that's next on my "my rewatch, wife's first time through" list.

As an aside, we started up Homeland and after just half a season I remembered just how big the drop off was from A-level series (The Wire, Breaking Bad, etc...) to B-level (Homeland... maybe a Dexter? I never watched it). It's a decent show, but just not up to the same standards where I'm OK investing an hour a night to it. I think we'll probably call it quits after S2.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
I have rewatched The Wire 4 times as well as The Sopranos and my take is this:

The Wire is the best tv show ever made in terms of story lines and plot. The way it weaves the crime to the police to the politicians is unlike anything I have ever seen. They are all connected and all corrupt, it is a true work of art.

The believe the Sopranos is the best written show of all times in terms of dialogue and characters. The plot is not what keeps me rewatching, it is the characters and the acting and the dialogue.

Both are hands down the best ever. A notch above BB in my book.
powerbelly
AG
AgGrad99
AG
I've never seen this show, but I hear it's good.

What would I watch this on these days?
VP at Pierce and Pierce
AgGrad99 said:

I've never seen this show, but I hear it's good.

What would I watch this on these days?
HBO Max
dreyOO
That's how I'm going back and watching so many good shows. I'm on the finale of Entourage right now.
StinkyPinky
AG
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

The Wire is the best tv show ever made in terms of story lines and plot. The way it weaves the crime to the police to the politicians is unlike anything I have ever seen. They are all connected and all corrupt, it is a true work of art.

The believe the Sopranos is the best written show of all times in terms of dialogue and characters. The plot is not what keeps me rewatching, it is the characters and the acting and the dialogue.

Sopranos is hands down favorite show of all time.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
StinkyPinky said:

Sopranos is hands down favorite show of all time.

Mine too. I've listened to the entire podcast which I can't recommend enough and read the book. Incredible
Swarely
There are two good books to read along with it.
" All the Pieces Matter"
"Truth be Told"

One of them goes episode by episode and the other is more of an overview of the show. But you get to learn so much more about the show through them.

And no one is answering my question!
StinkyPinky
AG
Swarely said:

" All the Pieces Matter"
"Truth be Told"

One of them goes episode by episode and the other is more of an overview of the show. But you get to learn so much more about the show through them.

Tom Waits. Not even close
StinkyPinky
AG
Swarely said:

" All the Pieces Matter"
"Truth be Told"

I have not read them, will absolutely check them out
AggieRingWielder
The Wire never gets old! Which season or storyline hits hardest for you?
SoTxAg
AG
I'm a Season 1 guy, so many great lines.
20ag07

This is maybe my favorite scene in television.

Stringer Bell's end is the best storyline.

And Season 4 is the best season.
Swarely
It's just so eloquent
Eliminatus
AG
I need to give it another go. I binged it about ten years ago and while I thought it was good, I never understood how it was lauded as the GOAT. From what I remember, I think I really enjoyed it initially and then it tapering off by season 4 and 5 to good but not necessarily great.
aTmAg
AG

This is incorrect.
Thunder18
AG
This thread is going to make me re-watch again...love The Wire
The System
AG
It's 1A) The Sopranos. 1B) The Wire as my favorite show of all time. But I could easily interchange them. I have sopranos slightly ahead because season 5 of the wire was meh.

I'm currently watching Homicide: Life on the Streets (1990s) which is based on the book by David Simon (creator of the wire) when he was imbedded within the Baltimore homicide department for a year while working for The Sun. It's pretty much just from the police POV but it is a very solid and underrated show.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Six times I have tried to watch this and six times a big bag of meh
Stat Monitor Repairman
Agreed it's the greatest show of all time.

Every character across all seasons was legit. Struggling to think of a character on the show that didn't pull their weight.

Even Sobatka's gf's tits may be the best tits seen on any show. The fact that you know exactly what i'm talking about 20-years later proves this point.
maroon barchetta
Somebody never saw Season 1 of True Detective
aTmAg
AG
The finale (actually Chase's "explanation" of it) knocked the Sopranos down a notch during my original watch. Then listening to Sammy the Bull's podcast knocked it down more, as it showed that the mob works nothing like it was portrayed in the show.

The final season of the Wire knocked that show down a peg. If they stopped at season 4, it would be my greatest show ever at this point.

So to me:
1) BB
2) Wire
3) The Americans
.. not sure ..
?) Sopranos
Sex Panther
AG

big gap

Also the parable of Snot Boogie is the greatest opening scene in tv history
Stat Monitor Repairman
Sex Panther said:

Also the parable of Snot Boogie is the greatest opening scene in tv history
Yeah, 100%.

"This America man."

One of the greatest lines of all time.

No question about that.

One of the greatest opening scenes of all time and one of the greatest lines of all time.

Wildest part is that the scene hits harder after you already seen the show.

The end was the beginning. Came full circle and went nowhere,
Sex Panther
AG
Btron
AG
Swarely said:

" All the Pieces Matter"
"Truth be Told"

All the Pieces Matter- if you are a fan of the wire and like reading, this is a must! Written as an Oral History where each chapter is strung together by interview quotes by creators, cast etc. it follows how it got made, behind the scenes and where are they now. Great read and would recommend.

ac04

excellent post. my top 2 shows ever and you nailed exactly why.
Swarely
Season 4 hits the hardest. Dukies story is the one that kills me.
Sea Speed
AG
Red tops, yellow tops, I got that WMD!
Stive
AG
I think I've watched it all the way through 4 times, BB 2 complete watches, Sopranos 1 complete and 2 other attempts (I always fade out on my rewatches here for some reasons).

The Wire is 1A and BB is 1B. Sopranos is 3rd in my mind.

But I love them all.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.