**** TRAP **** another Shyamalan thing…

10,022 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by nai06
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Final trailer released a few weeks ago….thoughts?

Personally I think this looks really bad and the whole premise doesn't make sense….you setup an entire concert to catch a serial killer?

The voiceover is of a woman who appears to be assisting authorities, saying, "This individual we're searching for won't panic." And then a few seconds later we hear, "He's realized he can't get out. He's going to try to cause chaos."

So…their plan is to trap an unstable person in a super crowded area with all the cops OUTSIDE knowing there's a chance he'll snap and cause more potential deaths?

I know I'm judging all this by a trailer but a trailer is supposed to make you want to see a film and boy does this seem really silly….

aggiebird02
It looks awesome! I can't wait to see it in the theater…
ElephantRider
AG
I mean, Shyamalan's batting average is pretty low at this point. I think you can assume it will be bad.

Split was pretty good, but has he done anything else since the early to mid-2000s that was any good?
jokershady
AG
Depends on your definition of good….

"Old" was pretty terrible….but so terrible it was entertaining….sorta like "The Happening"

So the question is….which type of Shaymalan film will this be?

Will it be, "The Visit?"

Or will it be, "Lady In The Water?"
TCTTS
AG
I think this looks ****ing awesome, and I can't wait.

That said, Shyamalan got so bad that I stopped watching his stuff in 2013, in the wake of After Earth. I hadn't seen a single movie of his since, but on a whim I decided to give Knock at the Cabin a shot last year and ended up loving it. So as far as I'm concerned Shyamalan is back, baby, and this looks like so much dumb fun to me.

There's a real buzz for it as well, to the point where I think it could very well be the sleeper hit of the summer. Granted, when reviews drop, if it turns out it's trash, that of course goes out the window. But assuming it delivers on its bonkers premise, then yeah, I think we could be in for a real treat.

All I know is that I already have my tickets and am rearing to go.

Two weeks.
Sex Panther
AG
Most people seem excited about it and I certainly hope it's good... but I think it looks so, so bad. But I did love Servant, the series he just wrapped up last year so maybe he's gotten his groove back.

I've been pretty critical on this board about Shyamalan using his platform to enhance his daughter's careers, and this just looks like a giant showcase for his daughter. He said a few days ago that it's essentially a concert film.

BIG TWIST ALERT - the singer is his daughter who is an aspiring singer in real life
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, that's my one big annoyance as well. This movie could have been so much better (or more enticing, rather) by either using a real pop star playing themselves and performing songs the movie-going audience knows/loves - or - creating a more believable pop star from scratch. Otherwise, as I said in the other thread when the first trailer debuted, the whole "Lady Raven"/goth thing looks so bad, and just doesn't come across as a believable pop star sensation to me.
Sea Speed
AG
I don't fault someone for trying to use their power to give their kids a better shot. I would do the same.

Wife and I just watched the trailer and are definitely in. Will check out Servant as well.
Bruce Almighty
AG
TCTTS said:

I think this looks ****ing awesome and I can't wait.

That said, Shyamalan got so bad that I stopped watching his stuff in 2013, in the wake of After Earth. I hadn't seen a single movie of his since, but on a whim I decided to give Knock at the Cabin a shot last year and ended up loving it. So as far as I'm concerned Shyamalan is back, baby, and this looks like so much dumb fun to me.

There's a real buzz for it as well, to the point where I think it could very well be the sleeper hit of the summer. Granted, when reviews drop, and if it turns out it's trash, that of course goes out the window. But assuming it delivers on its bonkers premise, then yeah, I think we could be in for a real treat.

All I know is that I already have my tickets and am rearing to go.

Two weeks!
I thought The Visit and Split were pretty good. Glass was awful.
GolfAg93
S
jokershady said:

The voiceover is of a woman who appears to be assisting authorities, saying, "This individual we're searching for won't panic." And then a few seconds later we hear, "He's realized he can't get out. He's going to try to cause chaos."

To play devil's advocate.. I think those statements can coexist. The killer can remain calm and not draw attention to himself, while at the same time, create chaos around him to further draw attention away from himself.

That said, I have mixed feelings about it, but plan to see it.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
As always, take these with a grain of salt.

Very encouraging, though.
Btron
AG
I still don't understand all the hate this guy gets. He made some all-time classics early in his career, like some of the best films of the last 20 years. You cannot expect him to catch that lightning in a bottle again, time after time. Old, Knock at the Cabin Door, Glass, are all very fun, entertaining, and enjoyable movies, but not classics, and that's ok. I try to enjoy a really good film maker doing his thing, and enjoy the moment while it happens. There is so much BS out there that is way worse than M. Knight, so sit back and enjoy.

The Rolling Stones have not put out an album close to their early 70's hits, but we can still enjoy a little Hacky Diamonds when it drops.

Just to keep track, M. Knight = the Rolling Stones
jokershady
AG
Because he's really hit or miss….because he's arguably made some of the major dumbest films in recent history….

Lady in the Water
The Happening
The devil in the elevator one that I ain't looking up
After Earth

And then there's the ones that are considered by many to be average to mediocre…

Signs (which I liked…..and just chose to ignore the insane plot hole)
The Village
Old
Glass

And then there's the ones that are seemingly loved by all:

The Sixth Sense
Unbreakable
Split
The Visit

So I can easily see why he gets some flack….

But regardless….whether they're really bad or really good….i will agree they are always entertaining….just maybe not in the way he intended.
Proposition Joe
Devil is 10x the movie Old is.
GoAgs92
AG
jokershady said:

Because he's really hit or miss….because he's arguably made some of the major dumbest films in recent history….

Lady in the Water
The Happening
The devil in the elevator one that I ain't looking up
After Earth

And then there's the ones that are considered by many to be average to mediocre…

Signs (which I liked…..and just chose to ignore the insane plot hole)
The Village
Old
Glass

And then there's the ones that are seemingly loved by all:

The Sixth Sense
Unbreakable
Split
The Visit

So I can easily see why he gets some flack….

But regardless….whether they're really bad or really good….i will agree they are always entertaining….just maybe not in the way he intended.
No one else see "Wide Awake"?

jokershady
AG
Was the twist the main character was asleep the whole time and the whole movie was a dream?
GoAgs92
AG
jokershady said:

Was the twist the main character was asleep the whole time and the whole movie was a dream?
No but Rosie O'Donnell played a Catholic…so almost.
TCTTS
AG
NoahAg
Spoiler: The dad is NOT the killer. His daughter is. But she's a ghost. But not his biological ghost daughter. His wife got knocked up while time traveling to Colonial Williamsburg. Ghost daughter is out for revenge on her biological colonial dad.

It's really amazing this dude has had a film career. Sixth Sense........
and that's it.
TCTTS
AG
Rex Racer
AG
NoahAg said:

Spoiler: The dad is NOT the killer. His daughter is. But she's a ghost. But not his biological ghost daughter. His wife got knocked up while time traveling to Colonial Williamsburg. Ghost daughter is out for revenge on her biological colonial dad.

and that's it.
I liked "The Village".
Eliminatus
AG
Rex Racer said:

NoahAg said:

and that's it.
I liked "The Village".
I unironically loved The Happening.
Faustus
I like Josh Hartnett, but it seems like he always got the Paul Walker treatment (until he died and the tone changed) from critics. Pretty face and bland on screen.

I'm happy he's having a career resurgence.
BlueSmoke
Trapped. How the audience feels at an M. Night movie at the theatre.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
jokershady
AG
Eliminatus said:

Rex Racer said:

NoahAg said:

and that's it.
I liked "The Village".
I unironically loved The Happening.
do you like hotdogs?

Do you think they get a bad rep?
normalhorn
Unbreakable was slow and the kid was obnoxious, but the hero scene was superb. The last 10 minutes made up for the rest of the movie, and then some
Signs was a good move at worst.
The Village wasn't bad, but predictable

Maybe this one comes in with a result like his top movies were.
LB12Diamond
AG
One thing that made it harder for M Knight.

The sixth sense was so good and the reveal, it hurt all his movies going forward bc of both expectations and everyone just focused on finding out the reveal before hand.

If you go in with an open mind and not trying to figure everything out probably makes the movies better.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Signs is fantastic.
TCTTS
AG
So it's Wednesday night, the movie premieres in less than 24 hours, and not only are there no reviews yet, but Warner Bros didn't even screen the movie for critics. Meaning most critics will have to buy a ticket to this thing tomorrow to review it, something I can't remember happening… ever?

In other words, one would think A) this movie is so bad that WB didn't want the negative buzz to affect opening weekend box office, or B) there's a twist they don't want spoiled.

Then again, a few randos attended the premiere last week, tweeted positive reactions, and there's been zero indication as of yet that there is, indeed, a big twist.

So, yeah, I don't know what to think.

All I know is this is super weird.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm going tomorrow since I know there'll be a major twist.

And btw, I agree that Hartnett is either a) not the killer, or b) not the only killer.

I know there's been theories that the killer is the daughter, but that seems a bit ridiculous even for Shyamalan.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.