Wyatt Earp Vs. Tombstone

3,656 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by JD Shellnut
iLLy RiLLy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Both flicks were in theaters in 1994. I feel like Tombstone is probably the better movie. Though, its earlier release date surely plays a hand in its overshadowing of Wyatt Earp.

I'm aware that the board will lean more towards Tombstone. I'm posting anyways to see opinions. I feel like Wyatt Earp is a very solid, somewhat forgotten movie
SoTxAg
AG
Tombstone better overall, Earp seemed like it was playing primarily for Costners ego. Maybe Yellowstone finally satisfied it.
Aggie87
AG
Tombstone was a fun movie, about a specific time in Earp and the others lives. A lot of embellishment, but still an engrossing film.

Costner's movie was broader in scope, self serious, a slog and unenjoyable. Like a number of his films.
iLLy RiLLy
On paper, which film had the better cast?
An L of an Ag
AG
Tombstone in every way.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I'm probably the only one here with a contrarian view on these films.

Like someone said above, Tombstone is more a look at a specific point in Earp's life, whereas Wyatt Earp is more of a biographical look at Earp's entire life. I didn't actually see Tombstone when it came out, and in fact didn't watch it until years later. Yes, it was a damn good movie but I've nevertheless always preferred Costner's movie. Wyatt Earp was a real person, and Costner's movie did a great job at portraying him; I won't get into whether the portrayal was 100% accurate to Earp's real life persona, as I really don't know. This is as opposed to what I view as a more typical portrayal of the man in previous movies, including Tombstone - simply a lawman who gets into a beef between two warring families.

I loved the James Newton Howard score for Wyatt Earp. It has an epic quality comparable to John Barry's Dances With Wolves score or Howard Shore's work in The Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit movies.

I'll agree that Tombstone has the better cast in terms of known names for comparable parts - not going to include Gene Hackman from Wyatt Earp since the role of Earp's father was not included in Tombstone. Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, Sam Elliot, Bill Paxton, and Powers Booth are the names I'm looking at, as opposed to Kevin Costner, Dennis Quaid, Michael Madsen, Linden Ashby, and Lewis Smith in the roles as Wyatt, Doc Holliday, Virgil, Morgan, and Curly Bill.

Oh, and minor correction for OP - Tombstone released during the holidays of 1993, with Wyatt Earp coming out late in June 1994.
Philo B 93
I'm pretty sure there was only one movie that went by both titles. Y'all are confused. People have the same problem with Star Wars and A New Hope.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I'm on team Wyatt Earp. Other than Val Kilmer, I've never been a fan of Tombstone.
Thunder18
AG
Tombstone is one of the most rewatchable movies ever, if I'm channel surfing and it's on, I'm watching it for the 1,000th time. I can't say that I have ever had a desire to rewatch Wyatt Earp
Know Your Enemy
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I'm on team Wyatt Earp. Other than Val Kilmer, I've never been a fan of Tombstone.

Found the narc.
Logos Stick
Tombstone and it's not close.

Val Kilmer was great.
WoMD
Thunder18 said:

Tombstone is one of the most rewatchable movies ever, if I'm channel surfing and it's on, I'm watching it for the 1,000th time. I can't say that I have ever had a desire to rewatch Wyatt Earp

It also doesn't help that Wyatt Earp has never been on tv once since it was originally released.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Everyone praises Val Kilmer…and it's worthy praise for sure.

But damn, Kurt Russell is a badass.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Corporal Punishment said:

Everyone praises Val Kilmer…and it's worthy praise for sure.

But damn, Kurt Russell is a badass.
Damn Right.

Thanks OP. Now I've got to fit Tombstone into my schedule today.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Skin that smokewagon and see what happens!
Belton Ag
AG
Doc Holliday has been portrayed a bunch of times over the years, but I think all of the three main portrayals most are familiar with, Quaid in Wyatt Earp, Kilmer in Tombstone, and Victor Mature in My Darling Clementine, are really great.
Apache
AG
Tombstone is one of the most quotable movies ever. Soooo many good lines. Saw it twice in theater, never saw Wyatt Earp.
The supporting cast of Tombstone made it great as well.
Billy Zane
Jason Priestly
Micheal Biehn
Frank Stallone
Billy Bob Thornton
Charleton Heston
Lloyd from Wings
Yondu from Guardians of the Galaxy
John Locke from Lost
Don't know who the snooty sheriff was but he was cast great
Belton Ag
AG
Don't forget Stephen Lang. That dude chews up some scenery like nobody's business.
Jock92
AG
As a fan of legit westerns give me Wyatt Earp. Tombstone is fluff, just like the Young Guns movies.
Southlake
Tombstone.

I think everyone is getting tired of Costner's ego. He's the same guy in the same show now.
TyDog44
Legendary - this movie brought out a ton of gifs and quotes used in everyday life

Lathspell
AG
Tombstone, and I blows my mind that anyone else would have any other opinion. But hey, some of the greatest movies in history are not thought to be good movies by 100% of viewers, so there are obviously people out there with absolutely horrible taste in movies.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I don't even know I found this out but Kilmer flubbed this line. It's supposed to read "I'm your huckle bearer". A huckle is the handle on a casket. Aka, I'm going to kill you and carry your casket to your grave.

It's still a great line with a very obscure reference.
Gigem314
AG
Tombstone is definitely the more entertaining movie. It focuses on the fight at OK Corral and Kurt Russell + Val Kilmer deliver by far the more dynamic performances with the most memorable lines. It's a fun ride.

I still like Wyatt Earp though, and feel like it tells the more accurate story (by Hollywood standards at least). But it goes into Earp's entire life, so it drags on more. But you get to see more about his past and how the death of his pregnant wife impacted him, along with the death of Ed Masterson.

And while Val Kilmer was by far the funnier Doc Holiday, I think Dennis Quaid's performance in Wyatt Earp is VERY underrated because you can see how much weight he lost to physically play the role (not just a lot of makeup like Kilmer) - he looked more the part and was probably a more realistic version of him. Costner's version of Earp was more subdued, but I think well done and again probably more accurate - just not as entertaining.

They're different flavors and I enjoy both.
Belton Ag
AG
Costner's Wyatt Earp movie is highly inaccurate.

I still liked it very much, though.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Sheer entertainment and rewatchability factor: Tombstone

Overall production and storytelling: Wyatt Earp

If I had to pick one to be stuck watching the rest of my life easily it's Tombstone
Aggie87
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

I don't even know I found this out but Kilmer flubbed this line. It's supposed to read "I'm your huckle bearer". A huckle is the handle on a casket. Aka, I'm going to kill you and carry your casket to your grave.

Except that's not true. Even Kilmer has stated more than once that he said "huckleberry".

ElephantRider
AG
SoTxAg said:

Tombstone better overall, Earp seemed like it was playing primarily for Costners ego. Maybe Yellowstone finally satisfied it.

Obviously not
double aught
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

And Bill Gates is going to give me $100 for every person I forward this message to!
dreyOO
Tombstone has my vote as well.

Tangent: what is it about Hollywood making two movies about the same material at the same time? I've seen this multiple times (Deep Impact vs Armageddon for example). It's a weird phenomenon that doesn't really make sense to me.
Rex Racer
AG
The phrase "I'll be your huckleberry" means "I'm the right person for the job" or "I can do the task." It's a way to express one's capability or willingness to undertake a task. This phrase gained popularity in the Wild West era and became well-known thanks to the 1993 film Tombstone, where Val Kilmer, playing Doc Holliday, uses it.
Trident 88
AG
Costner's best acting job was in The Big Chill.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
I enjoyed both. Tombstone was meant to be an action movie and it's really good.

Wyatt Earp is an old school biographical movie. It's not as entertaining but still good, in my opinion.
TyDog44
Kilmer had 2 incredible sidekick movies. Tombstone and Top Gun. Legendary.
southernboy1
AG
Also Thomas Haden Church, although I only knew him from wings.
Don't forget Dana Delaney!!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.