new album from The Avett Brothers

554 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by Tobias Funke
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New self-titled/no-title album out, again from Rick Rubin. First full-on studio album since 2019's Closer Than Together and their first release since 2020's Gleam III EP. It's a short one. 9 songs and just under 40 mins of run time. They are also back on Ramseur, the indy North Carolina label they were on to record their first 5 albums (through Emotionalism).

https://open.spotify.com/album/3Z7vd5JXLArFxYz8PxT6Py?si=umezbRwiRWi_hpHB77Eoww

NPR interview with Scott and Seth below about the album and release:

https://www.npr.org/2024/05/20/1252537890/the-avett-brothers-on-their-latest-album-which-has-been-in-the-works-since-2019
Sazerac
AG
Pretty disappointed coming from a super fan
AgHawkeye
AG
Sazerac said:

Pretty disappointed coming from a super fan

Agreed my man. I will certainly give it a few more listens and things can grow on me. Sometimes songs feel different after hearing them live. However I think the Avett glory days are now in the past for me. Still a library of songs that make catching live shows worth it.

At least Caamp is back at it starting this summer.
Sazerac
AG
Only Love of a Girl works live, the rest of the album is just too slow and a lot of sounds that only work in a studio IMO.

The NPR backstory on this album helps understanding what happened…
johnnyblaze36
AG
I thoroughly enjoyed their music in the mid aughts up until about five years ago. Saw a show one time at Whitewater Amphitheater in New Braunfels around 2017 or 2018 that was fantastic.

But then saw them at the Fox in Atlanta 2019 before the Ags vs Georgia game and it was one of the worst shows I've ever witnessed despite the venue being phenomenal.

Probably not fair to the band but for some reason they pretty much died to me after that and a few buddies I was with feel the same way. Can't really think of another band off the top of my head in which that has occurred.
Sazerac
AG
That's hard to believe.

Only time I haven't enjoyed them live is at Smart Financial in Sugar Land which just sucks the joy out of every performance for everyone.
Tobias Funke
AG
Superfan here as well, and agree this album is a miss for me so far. Cheap Coffee is really pretty, and Love of a Girl is fun (and feels the closest to Emotionalism to me), but nothing has really blown my mind from Avett in a long time other than No Hard Feelings.

I'll still catch them live later this year and love the hell out of it (have never seen a bad show from them), but I am in the camp that Rick Rubin has sucked a lot of the soul out of the Avett magic, unfortunately.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.