RIP Dabney Coleman

3,167 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by Philo B 93
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://wgntv.com/news/deans-list/ap-dabney-coleman-actor-who-specialized-in-curmudgeons-dies-at-92/
Joes
oragator said:

https://wgntv.com/news/deans-list/ap-dabney-coleman-actor-who-specialized-in-curmudgeons-dies-at-92/

His new defense system sucked, but otherwise I was a fan.
JCA1
AG

Another Doug
AG
Always think of him in "Cloak and Dagger" , seems like that was a regular movie on HBO back in the day. Good as the commodore on Boardwalk Empire too
Wicked Good Ag
Working 9 to 5 on fixing the WOPR in heaven

RIP
Yoda
AG
Loved that guy. Was a big part of my childhood, and made everything he was in better.

Tootsie

Jack Flack

Wargames

And everyone's favorite sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot.

citizenkane06
AG
Was just coming to post this. I loved his a-hole persona in everything.
Prosperdick
AG

His delivery of the one line "s***" is probably one of the best one word line deliveries in the history of cinema. He and Dolly made that movie. If they're not in it nobody ever remembers this flick.
maroon barchetta
He was great in "Sack Lunch".
Al Bula
AG
Didn't realize that was him in Yellowstone.

Seems like I have seen him in many productions but looking over the filmography really only remember 9-5, cloak and dagger and Beverly hillbillies.

I know I watched drexels class but have no recollection of the plot.
StinkyPinky
AG
Al Bula said:

Didn't realize that was him in Yellowstone.

Seems like I have seen him in many productions but looking over the filmography really only remember 9-5, cloak and dagger and Beverly hillbillies.

I know I watched drexels class but have no recollection of the plot.
What???? Holy cow, didn't either. Did not recognize him at all.
Falco
AG
We'll miss you Principal *****ly
Urban Ag
AG
Another Doug said:

Always think of him in "Cloak and Dagger" , seems like that was a regular movie on HBO back in the day. Good as the commodore on Boardwalk Empire too
We didn't have HBO or even cable but we got mom to rent this about 10 times the summer of 85 after she took me and my brothers to it the year before.

The cool thing was, both my parents were born and raised in Texas but my brothers and I grew up on the west coast. We did this two week family reunion/vacation thing summer of 85 and spent a couple of days in San Antonio where the movie was filmed, a lot on the Riverwalk. Great memories.
Urban Ag
AG
In regards to Cloak and Dagger, and man, I haven't thought about this movie in literally decades but this is some memory lane stuff.

Quote:

In a 2012 interview, Coleman recalled:
Quote:

I thought it was a great idea. I didn't get along with the director [Richard Franklin]. He's since passed on, but he was... Well, I won't say that. But it was great working with that little kid. Henry Thomas. What a great kid. And a great actor. I'll tell you, though, it's amazing how many people have come up to me and said something to me about that film, including Timothy Bottoms... So Timothy came up to my table at Dan Tana's, where I was, uh, kind of a regular... Timothy says, "You don't know me from veal parmesan, but I just want to thank you for playing Jack Flack. You don't know what that movie means to my son and me". That happens to me two or three times a year. It's always either a father saying, "I saw that movie with my son", or a son saying, "I saw it with my dad". But then they say, "Seeing that movie was very important in my life". And that's always very nice to hear.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloak_%26_Dagger_%281984_film%29#cite_note-6][6][/url]

right in the dad feels
agz win
AG
Don't forget Modern Problems with Chevy Chase's run. Shocked he was 92. RIP.
vmiaptetr
AG
Coincidentally, the kids and I watched Inspector Gadget last night, and he plays the police chief in that movie. I saw him, and thought, "That guy is in everything."

Now he's not.

chick79
AG
He also played Jane Fonda's character's boyfriend in On Golden Pond. I remember Henry Fonda's line stating "you're going to abuse my daughter" when he met him for the first time and he found out they were sleeping together.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
agz win said:

While I recall him from many of the other movies already listed, like WarGames, but for some reason this is the title that always comes to mind when I hear the name Dabney Coleman. I probably watched Modern Problems 100 times on HBO after having seen it a couple of times at the theater. I don't recall much now, but I do recall laughing my ass off.
#FJB
Prosperdick
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

agz win said:

While I recall him from many of the other movies already listed, like WarGames, but for some reason this is the title that always comes to mind when I hear the name Dabney Coleman. I probably watched Modern Problems 100 times on HBO after having seen it a couple of times at the theater. I don't recall much now, but I do recall laughing my ass off.
Please tell me large quantities of drugs were involved because objectively that movie is terrible.
maroon barchetta
Well, Chevy did snort a line of powdery substance from the floor around the bed in that movie. It might have inspired drug usage from the viewers.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Dude, I was in 8th grade.
#FJB
Logos Stick
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

agz win said:

He had a great role in that movie.
Prosperdick
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Like I knew that...dude, it's a crap movie. I remember watching it in the theater and I almost walked out. Only did that one time in my life, for Cyborg.
oragator
agz win
AG
Prosperdick said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Like I knew that...dude, it's a crap movie. I remember watching it in the theater and I almost walked out. Only did that one time in my life, for Cyborg.

It was fun and funny to a lot of people. I will stop and watch it when it reruns on tv and I'm flipping channels. Not everyone has a sense of humor, though.
Van Buren Boy
AG
I was coming to make this exact post. Kids came across it last night on Disney+ and gave it a watch. I made it about 10 minutes but the kids said they enjoyed it.
El Gallo Blanco
Urban Ag said:

Another Doug said:

We didn't have HBO or even cable but we got mom to rent this about 10 times the summer of 85 after she took me and my brothers to it the year before.

The cool thing was, both my parents were born and raised in Texas but my brothers and I grew up on the west coast. We did this two week family reunion/vacation thing summer of 85 and spent a couple of days in San Antonio where the movie was filmed, a lot on the Riverwalk. Great memories.

My brother and I wore this movie out as little kids in the 80's. Dad recorded it from one of the network channels onto VHS. Wish I could find some of those old TV to VHS recordings just to watch the commercials alone. I'd prob shed a few tears. The only reason I wanted to go to the river walk was bc of this movie.
Faustus
Prosperdick said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

agz win said:

Please tell me large quantities of drugs were involved because objectively that movie is terrible.
Ha! I like it.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
As a result of this thread, I went to iTunes yesterday and bought Modern Problems. I can't say the last time I actually watched this one, but am guessing sometime in the early 80s, maybe late in 1981. I was 13. That movie was hilarious for me, as I stated previously (and was asked if I had done rails to make it funny). No, it was funny because a 13-year-old would find that kind of stuff funny. I watched it with my daughter last night. She laughed a good bit, but this is a great example of a movie that was great as a kid but not-so-great as an adult.

I absolutely love the use of the word "objectively" in posts about movies. That word is a TexAgs go-to when discussing movies. Especially when a title may be perceived as bad. The use of this word implies that whatever the viewpoint being discussed is universal, like, say, the value of PI is always 3.14 in basic geometry problems.

On TexAgs, I've had many conversations that would lead me to believe:
The Phantom Menace = objectively bad
Attack of the Clones = objectively bad
Revenge of the Sith = objectively bad
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull = objectively bad
The Godfather Part III = objectively bad
I could go on.

I would use the term "subjectively" in describing movies. Modern Problems was intended for a young teen audience. From that perspective, that movie was hilarious. As a stand-alone movie to watch for the first time in 30+ years, it wasn't that funny to me last night; I laughed more with my daughter than I did at the movie.
#FJB
YouBet
AG
Don't understand how I never saw Cloak and Dagger.
maroon barchetta
YouBet said:

I've never seen it or even heard of it until this thread.
maroon barchetta
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

As a result of this thread, I went to iTunes yesterday and bought Modern Problems. I can't say the last time I actually watched this one, but am guessing sometime in the early 80s, maybe late in 1981. I was 13. That movie was hilarious for me, as I stated previously (and was asked if I had done rails to make it funny). No, it was funny because a 13-year-old would find that kind of stuff funny. I watched it with my daughter last night. She laughed a good bit, but this is a great example of a movie that was great as a kid but not-so-great as an adult.

I absolutely love the use of the word "objectively" in posts about movies. That word is a TexAgs go-to when discussing movies. Especially when a title may be perceived as bad. The use of this word implies that whatever the viewpoint being discussed is universal, like, say, the value of PI is always 3.14 in basic geometry problems.

On TexAgs, I've had many conversations that would lead me to believe:
The Phantom Menace = objectively bad
Attack of the Clones = objectively bad
Revenge of the Sith = objectively bad
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull = objectively bad
The Godfather Part III = objectively bad
I could go on.

I would use the term "subjectively" in describing movies. Modern Problems was intended for a young teen audience. From that perspective, that movie was hilarious. As a stand-alone movie to watch for the first time in 30+ years, it wasn't that funny to me last night; I laughed more with my daughter than I did at the movie.

But everything in bold is true!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Are you Obi Wan Kenobi? From a certain point of view….
#FJB
YouBet
AG
maroon barchetta said:

YouBet said:

I've never seen it or even heard of it until this thread.

I remember it but missed it somehow. Seems like a classic 80s movie I would have seen at some point.
mel99
AG
Cloak and Dagger was one of my favorite childhood movies. The old grandmother lady scared the crap out of me.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.