Bluey - The Sign

13,568 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by CDub06
bluefire579
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We finally got around to watching it. Never ceases to amaze me how they're able to handle sensitive topics in such a succinct and effective way, especially in such short episodes, and they definitely made the most of the longer run time. Ton of great callbacks and emotional moments, and of course, the Heelers know how to party (Stripe crawling out the bushes the next morning had me rolling)
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/bluey-surprise-new-episode-disney-1235878329/
Noblemen06
AG
I've moved 7 times in the last 18 years and only once since fatherhood, when my daughter was 2. My chosen profession lends to moving again many times over before I hang up the uniform for the last time - this episode hit me hard sitting there watching with my four year old who is loving our current home, neighborhood, and lifestyle. Not looking forward to breaking it to her we're going to leave the world she knows behind for new adventures elsewhere.
CDub06
AG
Surprise has some good moments.
SockDePot
CDub06 said:

Oh, also if Bingo hadn't been on bug patrol to save that caterpillar, the butterfly wouldn't have helped them find Trixie at the park and Bluey wouldn't have stuck the coin in the slot that the dogs with no eyes used to find the other house.

A real butterfly effect.

I think this the message of the episode. There are a million little things that add up to everything working out the way it's supposed to. Go with the flow.

Episode was more comforting than emotional to me.

PS, surprise is kinda meh.

however,with respect to the fact that they're going to take a long break, I wonder if this is the beginning of a time jump for their return
jokershady
AG
The surprise episode seems like the whole deal is a setup for a new set of episodes for now this one ends….did not expect that
The Porkchop Express
If they do that, there would be a lot of disappointed fans. The innocence of Bluey and Bingo is a ton of the show
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
jokershady
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

If they do that, there would be a lot of disappointed fans. The innocence of Bluey and Bingo is a ton of the show
true…but they'll still be there it seems….plus now there's grand kids so still a kid element to the show….

No idea if this is what they're doing I'm just speculating but if so looks like they'll still be a good kid draw
aggietony2010
AG
jokershady said:

The Porkchop Express said:

true…but they'll still be there it seems….plus now there's grand kids so still a kid element to the show….

No idea if this is what they're doing I'm just speculating but if so looks like they'll still be a good kid draw

If we see an "age-up", it will be generational like the end of the episode. The creators said in one of their interviews that having the main characters be much older than Bluey wouldn't work for the show.
_lefraud_
AG
Yea eventually, kids stop playing pretend and don't want their parents to play along with them
GrayMatter
AG
Since the title of the episode is "surprise" and Bluey and Bingo were curious about having kids; I think this might be a foreshadowing that Chili might be pregnant. That would open up a whole world of opportunities for the family.

The end sequence reminded me of the camping episode with Jean Luc where they fast forwarded many years so that we could see Bluey and Jean Luc reunite under the grown tree.
The Porkchop Express
GrayMatter said:

Since the title of the episode is "surprise" and Bluey and Bingo were curious about having kids; I think this might be a foreshadowing that Chili might be pregnant. That would open up a whole world of opportunities for the family.

The end sequence reminded me of the camping episode with Jean Luc where they fast forwarded many years so that we could see Bluey and Jean Luc reunite under the grown tree.
My daughter who knows every single character on Bluey and who they are related to says that the kid at the end of the episode could definitely be an offspring of Bluey and Jean Luc based on colors of both dogs.

They also showed the future on the episode where a new kid came to Bingo's class and they became friends. They showed photos of them advancing all the way to high school graduation.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
OldArmy71
AG
I had the same two thoughts.
AgLiving06
I assumed in the flash forward that the young pup who shot Bandit was Bluey's kid. Did anybody else assume that? I was trying to figure out if he looked like anybody else.
OldArmy71
AG
Yes, it could be Bluey's kid. But we learn that Bingo is also there, and the kid looked more like Bingo.

Either way, the kid is Bandit and Chili's grandkid.
The Porkchop Express
OldArmy71 said:

Yes, it could be Bluey's kid. But we learn that Bingo is also there, and the kid looked more like Bingo.

Either way, the kid is Bandit and Chili's grandkid.
Or maybe the incident with Bluey and the ball gun caused Bandit to have a mental breakdown and now he "sees" a young dog with a ball gun everywhere when he's not taking his pills.
OldArmy71
AG

Quote:

My daughter who knows every single character on Bluey and who they are related to says that the kid at the end of the episode could definitely be an offspring of Bluey and Jean Luc based on colors of both dogs.
Jean Luc is a "dark blue lab" according to the official website.

I paused the ending to see the kid closely and it does have a "dark blue" side and a folded ear, not really a lab ear, and has the more heeler-like pointed ear on the other side. The "heeler ear" side is a darker blue than a Bluey blue but is different from the lab blue.

Leaving aside for the moment what the kid looked like, your comment raises an interesting question: Have there been any examples in the show of "mixed breed" marriage?
Dekker_Lentz
AG
OldArmy71 said:

Quote:

Leaving aside for the moment what the kid looked like, your comment raises an interesting question: Have there been any examples in the show of "mixed breed" marriage?

The Sign shows a "mixed breed" wedding, English Cocker Spaniel and a Heeler. Winton's Dad and the Terrier's mom is a "mixed breed" relationship.

Edit to add: MacKenzie is also a popular suggestion for the Dad.
OldArmy71
AG
Great examples! Thank you!

I couldn't figure out what Frisky was.
OldArmy71
AG

Quote:

Ah, yes, matches the ear more closely than a lab ear.

I remember MacKenzie mostly from the "Creek" episode when he is confused that Bluey doesn't know anything about jumping on sheep. Hilarious!

My two grandkids have aged out of the series so I am working on memory here......
The Porkchop Express
I went ahead and made the Lazarus Drug my ringtone just now. The original theme song was my ringtone for so long that when the show would come on TV, I was like Pavlov's dog for a while
fig96
AG
If Mackenzie and Bluey don't end up together I would be extremely disappointed.

I don't think we've ever seen a mixed breed family till now, however. And really enjoyed Surprise, thought it was a lot of fun.
jeffk
AG
"That's what being a parent is like!" got a laugh from me.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
OldArmy71 said:

Quote:

Ah, yes, matches the ear more closely than a lab ear.

I remember MacKenzie mostly from the "Creek" episode when he is confused that Bluey doesn't know anything about jumping on sheep. Hilarious!

My two grandkids have aged out of the series so I am working on memory here......

In Barky Boats Winton says Bluey and MacKenzie are going to get married.

In the Decider and Curry Quest it is implied the families have a friendship.

And in Shops MacKenzie and Bluey squabble and resolve it.

He has his own focal episode in Space.

My kids love Bluey. I think I may have seen more hours of Bluey than Star Wars.
redline248
AG
Bluey first came on TV here in in 2019, and in Australia in 2018. A 6 year old when it started is now 11 or 12. A time jump to tween/teen aged Bluey could make some sense. The show is pretty unique in its ability to weave family themes into a fun format, so I bet they could tackle that age range
fig96
AG
Dude, same, especially after spending Sunday afternoon in the emergency room. (Everyone was fine 3 stitches later.)
TriAg2010
AG
Moe Jzyslak said:

Same. I was trying to think of where this ranks in the emotional episodes.

Sleepytime
Baby Race
The Sign?
Grandad

For me it's:

1.) Rain
2.) Sleepytime
3.) The Sign
4.) Fairy Tale
5.) Markets

All of them are great. Head and shoulders the best children's show of this generation.
Legal Custodian
AG
Nm
The Porkchop Express
TriAg2010 said:

Moe Jzyslak said:

Same. I was trying to think of where this ranks in the emotional episodes.

Sleepytime
Baby Race
The Sign?
Grandad

For me it's:

1.) Rain
2.) Sleepytime
3.) The Sign
4.) Fairy Tale
5.) Markets

All of them are great. Head and shoulders the best children's show of this generation.
Rain is my favorite because it perfectly captures the feeling of being young and the thing you're doing today being the most important thing in your life, and having a parent dive in and share that feeling is golden.
OldArmy71
AG
My favorites, no order:

Bike (great music: Beethoven's Ode to Joy)
Sleepytime (great animation AND music)
Calypso
Kids
Army
Flat Pack
Pass the Parcel
Onesies
Dragon
powerbelly
AG
Cricket has quickly become a top 5 for me
fig96
AG
Love that episode but the ending was spoiled by my kids watching it before I got to see the whole ep.

And while not as emotional an episode, Granny Mobile legit cracks me up every time. Unicorse is also pretty epic.
Ornithopter
AG
The Sign hits me hard. We moved with young kids, but didn't get the take back Bandit got.

I think we made the right choice, but man if this episode doesn't make me cry and question if we did the right thing. I don't think I'll ever watch it again if I'm honest.
double aught
AG
fig96 said:

Love that episode but the ending was spoiled by my kids watching it before I got to see the whole ep.

And while not as emotional an episode, Granny Mobile legit cracks me up every time. Unicorse is also pretty epic.
Granny Mobile is 8 minutes of nonstop hilarity. I love it.
jeffk
AG
A few friends and I did a "favorite low emotional stakes episode" discussion the other day. Basically, what's an episode that you love but doesn't hit you hard in the feelings.

I'm a sucker for anything Grannies related but also love The Quiet Game and Taxi.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.