Bluey - The Sign

10,870 Views | 138 Replies | Last: 21 hrs ago by 07ag
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The 28 minute episode of Bluey debuted tonight on Disney Plus. Despite my wife thinking us crazy, I let my girls get up and we watched it at 2 am. It is an incredible thing to see. Very funny and powerfully emotional. The show is going on hiatus for a bit but the creators promise this isn't the end.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
jeffk
AG
Wonderful episode. As someone who's been the Bandit in similar situations, I was rooting for the outcome they arrived at.

Just a wonderful show. Music continues to be astoundingly amazing (thanks Joff Bush!). Love this little show.
ExpressAg11
AG
Yeah definitely a tear jerker especially with my wife and I trying to decide if it's time to move our own family. Great timing Bluey haha. What a great show and a great episode.
The Porkchop Express
We moved to a new house but same town 2 years ago. Better house, neighborhood, schools but it was a crusher. The Season 3 episode where Bluey and Bingo get separate rooms was like a real life thing, as was Chili crying about the house being where Bluey took her first steps.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
CDub06
AG
A really great episode. I watched it before 6am at the airport this morning. Really bummed I wasn't able to watch it with the kid. But they weren't gonna wait for me.

Plenty of callbacks and closure /continuation for some of the other story lines
The Porkchop Express
Also I read the end song is sung by the lady who plays Calypso.
jeffk
AG
We moved to a new state a few years back. Our kids will drop little truth bombs on occasion about missing a thing or person from the old place every once in a while. Even when the move turns out to be for the best, it's still hard.
The Porkchop Express
themissinglink
AG
Thought it was a great episode. Watched it with my kids and my 3.5 year old daughter started crying until the final outcome. Very much hit close to home. The wife and I have been debating whether to do the opposite and take a financial hit to move closer to family.
Brock Sampson
AG
Wow. They nailed it again. My family (with 2 little girls just like Bluey and Bingo) went through the moving scenario last year. Lot of emotions brought out from that episode.
aggietony2010
AG
That last sequence was just so well done. That mixture of relief and frustration you could feel when Bandit was ripping the sign out...man I've felt that. And then the tackle afterwards was just perfect.

It really is amazing how well this show tackles some real hard topics in a 7 minute episode while being crack for kids at the same time.
The Porkchop Express
I've now seen it 3 times in less than 24 hours. I told my wife, I don't think I've ever cried more over a TV show than this damn animated dog series.
JABQ04
AG
1) I would love to party with the Heelers
2) everyone in my house cried/had tears. My four year old laughed her butt off then cried because now she thinks we're selling our house
3) I want to party with the Heelers. "What day is it?" For the biggest laugh out of me.
4). Wide and I thought the episode was heading one direction about the house but very happy it turned out the way it did.
5) I would gladly pay to watch 1 1/2 hour Bluey movie. Hell, I'd go with out the kids.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Man. I've watched it twice with my daughters (youngest is 1.5, so she just screams during the theme song) and it's rough every time. We left our family and moved across the country 5 years ago, when my youngest was 10 months, and it was pretty tough. This encapsulated that feeling pretty well.

Love this show so damned much. We went to the Bluey live show in Eugene earlier this year and had a blast.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Same. I was trying to think of where this ranks in the emotional episodes.

Sleepytime
Baby Race
The Sign?
Grandad
ABattJudd
AG
My eight-year-old was bawling her eyes out, fearful about the day when she'll eventually move out.
"Well, if you can’t have a great season, at least ruin somebody else’s." - Olin Buchanan
JABQ04
AG
The ending of Grandad gets me every time. I don't know how I went from a newborn to 16 year high school junior overnight (oldest) or my baby girl is starting kindergarten next year.
The Porkchop Express
When we moved in 2022, I was designated to go back to the old house and get the last few things 50 times. Going back to my girls' room where they had been since they came home from extended stays in the NICU, was just too much. I left a few things in there because I just couldn't keep going in there. In a lot of ways I am envious of Bandit Heeler throwing that sign into the street.
AgfromHOU
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I've now seen it 3 times in less than 24 hours. I told my wife, I don't think I've ever cried more over a TV show than this damn animated dog series.

Seriously. **** the creators of the show for making me cry so many times over this show.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Damn, I dont really think I can watch this one.
Quinn
AG
While I love the show and this episode, am I the only one who wishes they had gone through with the move? Would have taught kids that families have to move sometimes and I would have been interested to see the new house and friends that the creator could come up with.
jeffk
AG
Quinn said:

While I love the show and this episode, am I the only one who wishes they had gone through with the move? Would have taught kids that families have to move sometimes and I would have been interested to see the new house and friends that the creator could come up with.

I've seen this criticism raised a few times and I think it's completely valid. But also, the main theme of the episode was sometimes things seem lucky or unlucky and you can't tell which it is in the moment. So is having the house sale fall through lucky or unlucky? It certainly seems lucky in the moment, but "we'll see!"
The Porkchop Express
I thought they should move initially but doing so sacrifices 90% of the characters, many of whom are almost as loves as the big 4.

Moreover, I like the lesson that going with your heart is sometimes way more valuable than doing the smart thing.
OldArmy71
AG
As a huge fan of this show from the beginning, I still have to wonder how in the world that shaggy dog couple backed out of a sale when the sellers had already moved out!
The Porkchop Express
OldArmy71 said:

As a huge fan of this show from the beginning, I still have to wonder how in the world that shaggy dog couple backed out of a sale when the sellers had already moved out!
The more we watch it, the more we wonder where the Heelers were moving to. Is that home seller getting screwed too?
Legal Custodian
AG
It was an emotional episode for sure. Halfway through the episode I was pretty sure this was a "goodbye" episode, as in they were ending it. With all the callbacks, the subject matter of "moving on", and characters showing up for the wedding. It had that feel, but very glad it wasn't.

And Chili's sister being pregnant?! I never thought I'd be so happy for a damn cartoon dog that has only had like 5 minutes of screen time getting pregnant. My wife started crying when she saw.

I definitely laughed when one of the terriers said, "Our mom likes your dad," just so matter-of-factly. And then it looks like the dad was selling his house to move in with the Terrier's mom.

And when Chili said, "Trixy and I used to come up here to....uh...think."

Just the depth at which these show runners have built this world and how you can pop-in at any episode and it feels just the same as the first one but at the same time every episode also shows story and character progression. And because there's so many episodes the character and story progression goes at what feels like a slow pace, and you have watched every episode so many times, you're so invested that the episodes like this one hit so much harder.

I know the subject matter is "kiddy" and it's a cartoon dog family, but I truly believe this is one of the top 5 shows made over the past 5 years regardless of genre.
aggietony2010
AG
Legal Custodian said:

I know the subject matter is "kiddy" and it's a cartoon dog family, but I truly believe this is one of the top 5 shows made over the past 5 years regardless of genre.

A lot of times you'll hear things (usually about shows aimed more towards the preteen audience) about how a show is entertaining for "kids and adults", which usually just means it has a bunch of just thickly-enough veiled innuendo to sneak a few crass jokes by the kids so the parents can laugh. It's basically two shows going on at once.

Meanwhile Bluey is schooling all those shows on how to really do it. For example the Onesies episode about Chilli's sister...for a 5 year old watching it, it's just about learning you don't always get what you want. And it's that exact same story/dialogue that's tugging adults' heartstrings at a much deeper level. Instead of "dad, why are you laughing at that, that wasn't funny", you get universal truths and experiences that work regardless of age.
Carlo4
AG
We moved out of our house 4 weeks ago. It's under contract/closing in under 2 weeks. I had to go by yesterday and teared up a little walking through the empty house one last time. My daughter's first steps. When I found out my wife was pregnant. Getting the calls that you lost your mother in law and your father... You forget how many big things happen with all the little moments...

And then my wife put on this episode when I got home from a 14 hour shift... Niagara Falls... I'm amazed at how well they fit in so much with so little time. It's such a great show.
double aught
AG
Well said.
Legal Custodian
AG
Which I never realized until now, but Chili definitely set Frisky and Rad up, right? Chili said that she sent Frisky a text that she didn't need to come over to babysit since Rad was going to, but Frisky said she never received it.

Chili never sent that text and had Rad and Frisky both come over knowing Frisky had just broken up with her boyfriend in hopes of setting her up with Rad.
CDub06
AG
There's apparently a surprise episode coming out on Sunday.
jeffk
AG
Spoiler alert!
CDub06
AG
Oh, also if Bingo hadn't been on bug patrol to save that caterpillar, the butterfly wouldn't have helped them find Trixie at the park and Bluey wouldn't have stuck the coin in the slot that the dogs with no eyes used to find the other house.

A real butterfly effect.
AgLiving06
Anybody remember Berenstain Bears "Moving Day?" That's what this episode reminded me of.

I cried when I was a kid reading that book, and my oldest cried today when he thought they were actually going to move.

I'm with others here. The only way they actually moved is if the show was ending, and since I wasn't aware this episode was coming out until I saw it on Disney+ I had real concerns this was the end.

And like others, this is a real conversation we are having in our household. To move to a different part of Houston, that would be financially beneficial to us, or to stay in this area (still move), but keep the kids rooted with their friends. It's definitely not an easy decision.
redline248
AG
Quote:

And Chili's sister being pregnant?! I never thought I'd be so happy for a damn cartoon dog that has only had like 5 minutes of screen time getting pregnant. My wife started crying when she saw.
I had forgotten the part about her sister having trouble, and as I was watching I was trying to remember if she was married or not. My wife remembered it immediately.

Quote:

Which I never realized until now, but Chili definitely set Frisky and Rad up, right? Chili said that she sent Frisky a text that she didn't need to come over to babysit since Rad was going to, but Frisky said she never received it.

Chili never sent that text and had Rad and Frisky both come over knowing Frisky had just broken up with her boyfriend in hopes of setting her up with Rad.
So, I don't know when I first saw Christmas Swim, but I can't find it on D+, so it must have been on regular disney channel. My memory is Rad and Frisky being introduced in Christmas Swim, and they were off at a resort, which I thought was their honeymoon. Then I saw Double Babysitter sometime afterwards. I didn't know if they were being shown out of order, or if the show made Double Babysitter 2nd.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.