Flashes in the Pan

1,510 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Milwaukees Best Light
Andrew Dufresne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A couple of actors that fit the bill.

Justin Long: You might remember him from Waiting and Live Free or Die Hard. This dude still around?

Chris O'Donnell: Was a hot commodity back in the early to mid 90's. Three Musketeers, Batman Forever, etc. He has seemingly fell of the face of the earth.

dcaggie04
AG
I know Chris O'Donnell was the star of an successful NCIS spinoff from 09 to last year.
GoAgs92
AG
Justin is married to Kate Bosworth, surprisingly.

Sex Panther
AG
Justin Long has had a pretty steady career, not the leading man stuff he was pulling off in the 2000's but he's still around and always pretty fun in whatever he does. Just last year he was the star of the new Goosebumps series and the lead in Barbarian - one of the best horror movies of the last decade (he was hilarious).

He also has a pretty successful podcast I believe
Andrew Dufresne
Tara Reid was in Sharknado
Sponge
AG
Josh Hartnett - Really big around 2000 with The Faculty. Then had a big break although he was in the recent Guy Richie spy movie.
Yoda
AG
Also really good last year in Oppenheimer. Was nice to see him back.

$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Sex Panther said:

Justin Long has had a pretty steady career, not the leading man stuff he was pulling off in the 2000's but he's still around and always pretty fun in whatever he does. Just last year he was the star of the new Goosebumps series and the lead in Barbarian - one of the best horror movies of the last decade (he was hilarious).

He also has a pretty successful podcast I believe

Justin Long was fantastic in Galaxy Quest.
Also a TV show a little over 20 ago called "Ed" that was pretty great.
c-jags
i have a list of these. actors that do a bunch as teenagers (or 20 year old playing teenagerts) getting hyped up and cast and then disappear into smaller roles and maybe a revival later on like Hartnett. Hartnett being the central zeitgeist, of course.

Usually they're on a TV show, get picked up for a big movie or series (almost always teeniebopper dystopian something or other,) become a hollywood darling for a hot minute, make a few more movies, fall out of the lime light for a while, and then come back in more subdued roles.

i'll misspell some of these because they're off the top of my head:

Benjamin Walker
Alex Pettyfer
Hayden Christianson
Logan Lerman
Tye Sheridan
Dylan O'Brien

Shailene Woodley
Britt Robertson
Kathryn Newton
Rosa Salazar
Chloe Grace Moritz
Kristen Stewart

some that bucked that mold were Robert Pattinson and Jennifer Lawrence. Both managed to get past their initial hit and have bigger careers.
The Dog Lord
AG
One of the best Justin Long roles. NSFW (language) WARNING

Chipotlemonger
AG
dcaggie04 said:

I know Chris O'Donnell was the star of an successful NCIS spinoff from 09 to last year.
Yea I think he does not fit the criteria of "falling off". Dude found a spot at a steady TV paycheck and that's got to be worth something when you're considering success!
wangus12
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

dcaggie04 said:

Yea I think he does not fit the criteria of "falling off". Dude found a spot at a steady TV paycheck and that's got to be worth something when you're considering success!
He was making $350k per episode. I'm sure he considers that successful
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
We're excluding anyone who died young, right? Also, Justin Long is a first-ballot HOF actor at playing ******bags. His performance in Barbarian was too real.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Anyway, my answer is Daisy Ridley. Talk about getting dealt a deceptively bad hand.
bonfarr
AG
No love for Edward Furlong?
bonfarr
AG
Would also say Hayden Christiansen and Alicia Silverstone.

Jack Wild from HR Puffinstuff fame fell off a cliff pretty rapidly after he reached adulthood then pretty much drank himself into oblivion.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory kid that became a dentist was a one hit wonder.
Civen
AG
In the vein of Edward Furlong...

JTT
BassCowboy33
Sponge said:

Josh Hartnett - Really big around 2000 with The Faculty. Then had a big break although he was in the recent Guy Richie spy movie.

Hartnett is one of the few who stepped back voluntarily.
BassCowboy33
I was convinced Adrien Brody would be the next Tom Hanks. He had a mini-run in Dummy, The Thin Red Line, The Pianist, The Jacket, and King Kong that I was sure would launch him. He was the best part of Summer of Sam.

Then he just disappeared. I know he still shows up in Wes Anderson films and does a lot of modeling stuff, but, man, I thought he'd be huge.

His role in the new Lakers show proves he can still pull it off if given the chance.
EclipseAg
AG
bonfarr said:

Jack Wild from HR Puffinstuff fame fell off a cliff pretty rapidly after he reached adulthood then pretty much drank himself into oblivion.

Jack Wild's story is really sad.

Nominated for an Academy Award and Golden Globe at age 16 for "Oliver!" Teen idol in the '70s. And then nothing but heartbreak.
Falcon74
AG
Josh Hartnett - had a co-starring role along with Arron Paul and Kate Mara in a Black Mirror episode - Beyond the Sea. Exceptional performance and one of the best episodes in that catalogue.
AustinAg2K
Does Ellen Page count?
BassCowboy33
AustinAg2K said:

Does Ellen Page count?

Not sure she was ever famous enough.
BassCowboy33
Jon Heder is a good one. The guy was everywhere for about 5 years, then dropped off the face of the earth.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
What's Alex Winter up to these days?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.