Willie Nelson - The Border

2,447 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by johnnyblaze36
YellAgs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw the song came out on spotify today, album comes out in May.

Almost doesn't sound like Willie singing at all. I know he's 90+ and all, but it was a shock to hear. Still a good song, but the vocals overshadow everything about it.
zap
AG
Unfortunately, his voice has been compromised for quite a while. We walked out of a Houston Rodeo performance because of it.
Proposition Joe
Even without the voice quality issues, Willie was forgetting lyrics back when my parents were attending his shows.

He's much like Dylan in that you are going to see a legend, not because it actually sounds good.
Serious Lee
he hasnt been a good performer in probly 40 years. Saw him around 2000/2001 and he was just blazing through the songs, like he was trying to get outta there ASAP.
YouBet
AG
YellAgs said:

Saw the song came out on spotify today, album comes out in May.

Almost doesn't sound like Willie singing at all. I know he's 90+ and all, but it was a shock to hear. Still a good song, but the vocals overshadow everything about it.
You are burying the lead.

Is he pro open borders or not?
c-jags
Proposition Joe said:

Even without the voice quality issues, Willie was forgetting lyrics back when my parents were attending his shows.

He's much like Dylan in that you are going to see a legend, not because it actually sounds good.
i could say the same thing almost verbatim. my parents are conservative old school southern Baptists but loved him and always scolded his weed use, but commented that the last time they saw him he was forgetting lyrics and spacing out during a concert.

mom would put a casette on in the car and say "i just wished he would put down the pot" and continue to listen and jam out. as if the the condemnation justified her listening.

fond memories.
Apache
AG
Last time I remember him actually singing was in the mid 90's, maybe early 2000's.
The past 15 years or so it's been a "talk-sing" type show with him randomly playing the hell out of Trigger and sometimes not.
Another Doug
AG
Just listened, sounds cool. Obviously not his prime voice, but his voice still has some raw character to it.

As far as the politics of it, I took the message as the border is a messed up place, poor people suffer, powerful people take advantage of it, and good people are just along for the ride.
Rexter
I used to live in the house that backs up to the chilifest field. Got all excited the year Willie was there. Listened for about 2 minutes to him talk the lyrics to his opening song and went back in the house.
El Gallo Blanco
Another Doug said:

Just listened, sounds cool. Obviously not his prime voice, but his voice still has some raw character to it.

As far as the politics of it, I took the message as the border is a messed up place, poor people suffer, powerful people take advantage of it, and good people are just along for the ride.
As in "allow over 6 million unvetted people (80% young males btw) in in a three-year span and then talk about opening up the national vote to non-citizens"?
Another Doug
AG
Yes, that is verbatim what I said, you win, no need to discuss further.
TooTall 06
AG
Doesn't sound too far off from how Willie's sounded for years.

Listened to "The Border" and was wondering if Willie was doing a concept album ie "Red Headed Stranger". Would be cool to see him do that again.

Looked a little further and it is a cover of Rodney Crowell's song. Trigger is a nice addition to the song. Reminded me a bit of Sturgil's "Juanita", which Willie plays on.

Claude!
Possibly my biggest country music sin is not really digging Willie Nelson as much as I feel I should.
c-jags
Claude! said:

Possibly my biggest country music sin is not really digging Willie Nelson as much as I feel I should.
i like him but he's very overrated.

when people throw his name out with hank, cash. haggard, etc. I'm always confused because he's not on their level.
TXAG 05
AG
c-jags said:

Claude! said:

when people throw his name out with hank, cash. haggard, etc. I'm always confused because he's not on their level.

You're right, as a songwriter, he is way better.
Wes97
AG
TXAG 05 said:

c-jags said:

Claude! said:

You're right, as a songwriter, he is way better.
Slow down on saying that he is a "way better" songwriter than Hank Williams... But otherwise I get your point.
Another Doug
AG
Not a huge Willie fan, but he's got a few songs I just love. Most of the ones I like are covers though, Pancho and Lefty being my favorite.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
F yall. Willie is great. I have seen him many times and never seen him mail it in. Last time I saw him he could still hit the notes, he just couldn't hold them. He would hit them quick and back down the scale. Dude always looked to be having a great time. He is an American icon. His voice is not for all, but his spirit is.

I don't care what artists, athletes, or actors say about politics. You gotta be a real dumbass to take your political advice from them.
ATM9000
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Last time I saw him he could still hit the notes, he just couldn't hold them. He would hit them quick and back down the scale.

… so… he couldn't hit the notes then?
JCRiley09
AG
Y'all are taking a critical ear to the voice of a 90 year old?
BurnetAggie99
The five years at Luckenbach, '95 to '99 he was pretty good. Attended all 5 years those years for 4th of July.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Just saw him on Thursday at Luck Reunion at his ranch. Sang with his sons and I loved every bit of it. The interesting thing is he sounded really rough the first few songs but then his voice got better and stronger as the show went on.

ETA: The weird and disappointing thing however was that he didn't play a single song off Red Headed Stranger which is even more peculiar considering that's where the movie was filmed. Tyler Childers before him did play "Time of the Preacher".
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.