Streaming services which let you move around?

727 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by WoMD
Fightin TX Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A year ago or so, we cut the cable.

After looking at

Hulu
YouTube Tv
Fubo
Directv Stream

We went with Hulu

But when we went out to our place in the country, Hulu recognized the change in location, and it isn't portable.

Are any of them? What's the best way to address this?
AgHawkeye
AG
That seems crazy. FuboTV and YouTube TV definitely give you multiple locations.
Sex Panther
AG
Yeah that's nuts. I travel all the time and YoutubeTV just asks if you're there temporarily or permanently - and then tells me to enjoy my trip and it works just fine

I've also gotten into the habit of taking my Roku with me when I travel. So much easier to just plug it into a hotel room or wherever I'm staying and have all my streaming services and YoutubeTV
Whos Juan
AG
Hulu hasn't been an issue for me. Usually when it asks if I'm in a different location so it can add the local affiliates to my channels.
Rex Racer
AG
Sex Panther said:

Yeah that's nuts. I travel all the time and YoutubeTV just asks if you're there temporarily or permanently - and then tells me to enjoy my trip and it works just fine

I've also gotten into the habit of taking my Roku with me when I travel. So much easier to just plug it into a hotel room or wherever I'm staying and have all my streaming services and YoutubeTV
My wife and I have been doing this for the last couple of years, and we love it. Don't have to figure out what channel is what network, and we have all of our recordings and services we watch. Love it!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Fightin TX Aggie said:

After looking at

Hulu
YouTube Tv
Fubo
Directv Stream

We went with Hulu

But when we went out to our place in the country, Hulu recognized the change in location, and it isn't portable.

Hulu doesn't like you using a device like a Roku stick or smart TV in a different location but they will let it work on a laptop or phone in those locations as long as they sync back in the home zip code every month or so.

Basically they let you travel with a portable device that was previously synced at home zip, but not use some device just permanently in another zip.

You can change your zip but only like 4 times per year before they lock it I guess.

Alternately you can get a Wifi router you take with you that VPNs back to your home zip.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Fightin TX Aggie said:

After looking at

Hulu
YouTube Tv
Fubo
Directv Stream

We went with Hulu

Hulu doesn't like you using a device like a Roku stick or smart TV in a different location but they will let it work on a laptop or phone in those locations as long as they sync back in the home zip code every month or so.

Basically they let you travel with a portable device that was previously synced at home zip, but not use some device just permanently in another zip.

You can change your zip but only like 4 times per year before they lock it I guess.

Alternately you can get a Wifi router you take with you that VPNs back to your home zip.
This is what I'm dealing with.

I have a hunting cabin with a flat screen and AppleTV. I want to watch Hulu there, on the tv. It's only 1 hour from my damn house.

It's enough to make me switch streaming services. If Fubo will work in both locations, that's probably what I'll go with.
WoMD
I could be wrong, but I think the device you're using is much more important than the service. I take my fire stick with me on work trips all over the country, and use the vpn to watch Bay Area broadcasts of giants games with Directv Now. That doesn't work on my Apple TV, as they use location services for DTV Now, even with a vpn. The vpn does allow me to watch games with the specific NBC sportsnet app with Apple TV, though, just not through the DTV Now app. Ive heard that Hulu has their own restrictions, so it still might not work, but DTV now definitely works using this strategy, and I think YouTube does too (but never used it to confirm).

As ****ty quality as it is hardware wise, IMO the solution for taking your tv with you comes down to using a firestick with vpn.
WoMD
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Fightin TX Aggie said:

After looking at

Hulu
YouTube Tv
Fubo
Directv Stream

We went with Hulu

Why bring a wifi router with you? Seems to be making it more complicated than it needs to be. Firestick with vpn on it takes care of everything, cheap and simple.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.