*** The Zone Of Interest ***

881 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Jim01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS talked about making an official thread. I just watched it so figured I'd go ahead and make one.

Haunting movie! Geez! On the Oscar thread someone used the term "banality of evil" and that hits the nail on the head.

I loved the cinematography. Most WW2 movies are shot with a gritty look, using the visuals to help paint the Nazis as evil, but this thing is pristine. It really adds to the effect of painting the every day life aspect of the film. The Nazi's aren't shot in some dark/evil manner, but rather are shown like regular people.

The sound of course is amazing, being almost the sole bearer of the evil backdrop of the movie.

This also strikes me as truly pure cinema. It is the epitome or "show me, don't tell me". Damn near all the dialogue could be cut and the effect would be similar. The visuals and music tell so much of the story!

I think along with the banality of the evil, the powerful message is one of vigilance and focus. It is easy to lose focus of the evil because of the everyday way it plays out. The ending with the museum and workers literally cleaning and polishing history paints a haunting message of the importance of not washing over the past, of paying attention and examining and never forgetting evil.
TresPuertas
AG
good to hear. did you see it in the theaters or is it streaming somewhere?
Jim01
AG
It's available on streaming to buy.
citizenkane06
AG
Second on the cinematography! The direction and visuals were outstanding, the best I saw of last year's films.
75AG
AG
Finally watched it last night. We were in Auschwitz last December. During our tour, it was the shoes that got me. Thousands of shoes, some old and ripped, some beautiful like the ladies thought they might be going somewhere special. That scene got me again last night.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I thought this felt a bit dr@ggy in the middle, but it definitely made an impact, all without every showing a second of what was going on inside the camp. I guess that was the point, really.

Good movie, and I can understand why it won Best Sound at the Oscars. (Though still think Oppenheimer deserved that.)

It could've done without the artsy flair like the thermal vision or whatever that was though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.