*** ECHO (Disney) ***

2,420 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by W
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else watching this train wreck??

should have known it would be bad when the Writers were credited as

listing 6 people with multiple
"and"
and "&" ampersands

jeffk
AG
Here's what I wrote on the MCU thread earlier. I'll probably watch the finale this weekend.

I'm through episode four of Echo, and I wouldn't say it's horrible, but it's definitely not good. Story is set up similar to Ms Marvel in that we have a lot of ancestral set up for the protagonist and there's an emphasis on cultural heritage - which is probably what I enjoy most about the series so far. Where it falls flat is that I don't really care about the modern Echo character. Having her story wrapped up in being a henchman for Kingpin and then trying to undo all of that backstory has seemed really clumsy to me. There's a redemption story trying to get through here somewhere but it's not really working. And the super powers feel really tacked on and poorly conceived. Maybe I'll feel differently after the finale, but I'm not hopeful.

Oh, sorry - the comparison to Ms Marvel is starkest to me when I think of how endearing and earnest of characters Ms Marvel and her family were. Echo has pretty much none of that heart for whatever reason. There's just not much effort made to fill that aspect out at all.
C@LAg
ECHO

ECho

Echo

echo

b/c no one is watching it.
Madmarttigan
AG
My thoughts from mcu thread.

What I like -
Fisk and this show is definitely darker than any other Disney series before. I am shocked with all the killing and blood in a good way. First 4 episodes are pretty good and any scene with Fisk is just good. The sense of fear he creates is just the same as ever.

What I don't like-
All the supernatural heritage stuff. I got to the climax in the last episode and just started laughing out loud at it and turned it off. I'll finish it eventually but I know Texags is going to rage against the girl power moment. That doesn't matter as much to me as how the powers just cheapened the struggle and felt really cheesy. You take a character who has trained her whole life and is a believable bad ass and when you use a new power to just completely take over the last fight it's lazy unfulfilling writing.

I do really hope Disney continues this tone though and gives some darker marvel content like Daredevil used to.

First 4 episodes are solid. Last one bleh. I actually think the overall plot is fine, but just a meh finish.
Moral High Horse
I'll give it a shot if I have absolutely nothing to do but I'm not going to go out of my watch it just because it's MCU. I've over that now.
rhutton125
AG
I'll check it out sometime when I feed the baby and want something to watch. Not sounding very promising though.
hoosierAG
AG
Our fam only made it through 2 episodes. It was so bad in so many ways and made us not care and lose interest that quick.
i is smart
AG
IMO Echo easily has the worst suit in the MCU.

Edit: Noticed I couldn't spoiler tag a picture of the suit. It appears in Episode 5.
TexAg2001
AG
I was a big fan of Daredevil and Punisher so I thought I'd give this a try. I've watched the first 3 episodes and there aren't many left so I'll finish it, but this certainly ranks as one of the lowest Marvel shows I've ever seen.

It's annoying that her connections back in her hometown all know sign language. She left as a child, came back 20 years later after having very little or no contact with them, and they all remember sign language. I'm assuming there weren't other deaf people in that small town, so they would have stopped using it and forgotten it. It's hard to believe they all remember.

I got excited when Daredevil showed up a few minutes into the first episode, but disappointed he hasn't made another appearance yet. I didn't think he looked like Charlie Cox, but I saw him credited on IMDB, so I guess it was

zooguy96
AG
Watched the first two episodes. Couldn't watch the rest because it was soooooo bad.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I enjoyed it in parts. I wished they'd stuck more to her comic book storyline instead of going off the rails and making a new origin story. The supernatural stuff was weird and not well done at all. Daredevil served no purpose being in the show other than to throw him in to try and draw in viewers.
AgTrip
Bruce Almighty said:

I enjoyed it in parts. I wished they'd stuck more to her comic book storyline instead of going off the rails and making a new origin story. The supernatural stuff was weird and not well done at all. Daredevil served no purpose being in the show other than to throw him in to try and draw in viewers.
He was the best part of the series. This series was bad. I also felt they made Fisk go from a strong villain to a weaker one. I guess he got in touch with his emotions.
TexAg2001
AG
Pretty sad that the best part of the series happened in the first couple minutes of episode 1.
rhutton125
AG
This was a nothing show. It's bizarre to me that in a show with only a handful of characters, Maya barely interacts with any of them. She talks with Bonnie once before the finale. She talks with her grandmother once before the finale. She talks with Biscuits and her grandfather twice? Maybe three times?

First episode is decent but it goes downhill from there. Getting ill-defined ancestral powers because you came back into town is stupid.

Second-worst Marvel Studios product, second only to Secret Invasion. Just poorly executed throughout. Most people after Hawkeye said "why is she getting her own show?" and this series did nothing to counter that.

I liked Henry though.

Edit: perfectly-timed flashbacks are not be a substitute for character development. Shang-Chi suffered from this too.
YellowPot_97
AG
I enjoyed this show. Something different. I really appreciate the Native American themes and mythology. It was awesome seeing Moundville, AL recreated on the screen. And using music from The Haulluci Nation was a nice touch. Nothing major in the MCU but a cool side story.
Madmarttigan
AG
Still think it is miles ahead of She-Hulk.
W
AG
very, very late to the party...

but I wanted to watch Echo before Agatha begins next week.

as others have said...I can see why it was dropped all at once. Wasn't going to keep viewers week to week.

the first 3 episodes were pretty good. Then episode 4 was all dialogue and no action. Then the finale and the fight in the barn...oh boy.

there were so many shots of Echo just riding around town on her motorcycle.

the best actor in the series was Chaske Spencer who played Henry. He was good.

this series ranks in the bottom 3. I've seen 10 so far.

8. Echo
9. Secret Invasion
10. She-Hulk
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.