2024 Books Read

49,209 Views | 478 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by StinkyPinky
Dr. Mephisto
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Completed Son of the Black Sword, by Larry Correia.

Solid A read. Correia writes for readers, not academics or woke warriors. That means he's actually good!

Recommend!

Makes me want to jump right in to the 2nd book in the series, but I'm still mid COMC, Ready Player 2, and Hostage to the Devil.
The Marksman
AG
Finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix a few days back and forgot to post
The Marksman
AG
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J. K. Rowling
Eliminatus
AG
Finished up Silence of the Lambs. Can absolutely see why it was picked up for a movie. An exceptionally clever book.
Wolfpac 08
AG
I have some questions about your reading…if I read understood your post, you just finished a book while also being midway through 3 other books.

How does that work? Are you reading all day, a little of each? Do you dedicate a day/week to each book? Do you read a sentence of one and then a sentence of another and just rotate through like that?

Do you ever find it challenging to keep storylines straight? Do you get halfway through a page only to realize you're not reading the book you thought you were reading? Do you find yourself wondering what happened to a character only to realize they exist in a different literary universe?

I love to read, but navigating through multiple, complex stories at once seems….daunting..like it would take away from my ability to really get lost in the each story, which is one of my favorite parts of reading.

Granted, with a two year old running around, I'm lucky to get an hour a day to spend in my book.

Anyway, just fun curiosity more than anything. It's quite impressive to a simpleton like myself.
13B
I don't know about Mephisto but I'll "read" two at once. Listen to one on Libby or Audible while in car or out working. Read a hardcopy book before bed or down time. I'm listening to Persuader (Jack Reacher) on Libby and reading Blood of Empire by Brian McClellan right now. Reacher is a pretty easy listen and pretty much has the same formula every time so easy to follow; spend more time in short bursts on the hardcopy books.
lurker76
Following up on what 13B said, I usually have 2 or 3 books going at one time. I'll read one on a Kindle, one on my IPad kindle app, and a paper book that doesn't get a lot of time in hand these days. The IPad book is the main book I read, and the Kindle book will be a book that is a collection of books from an author like Agatha Christie or Robert E. Howard, which I've been alternating recently. Since I'm retired, I have more time to read than previously, but I've always been a reader. It isn't too difficult to keep the books straight, because they are always so different.
hunter2012
AG
Just finished Gulag Archipelago, I highly recommend it for every warm blooded human. Collectivism may have had the best of intentions when Marx was pontificating, but in practice it can only create hell on earth. It's pride rooted in intelligence mixed with a lot of hatred and envy, that plus the removal of morality to justify victimhood is no way to bring about utopia for all mankind. From the paranoia that anyone could be an informant, to the thuggishness of those with an ounce of power, and the twisting of any statement or action to create enemies of the state for the sole purpose of creating a slave labor force. It was indeed a horrific work of non-fiction, but I highly enjoyed the last 3rd when he talks about the backlash to that tyrannical system. It gives me hope for our society though I really pray we do not let it get half as far as the USSR went.

I'm on to a couple of books that have released since that was quite a long book. starting with Helldivers book 7, an intense scifi post apocalypse series that I was reading prior to this. After that I might start the new series from the Expanse writers as I highly enjoyed the Expanse series. Both are a quick read so after that I may do a Stormlight Archive reread since book 5 is coming out in December.
bam02
AG
Jordan Peterson often refers to this book. I've never really considered reading it but maybe I should.
hunter2012
AG
Yeah, Dr. Peterson talking about it is what pushed me over the edge.
AGC
AG
Did you do abridged or unabridged? I got bogged down in the second volume and haven't gone back yet.
nai06
AG
Haven't updated my list in awhile. I tried to give Ann Cleaves and her Vera Stanhope series a shot but just couldn't get into it. I'm currently reading the Dead Man of Storr by JM Dalgliesh. It's part of his Misty Isle series and I really like it. Turns out I have type when it comes to genres, Tartan Noir.

1. Waypoints: My Scottish Journey-Sam Heughan
2. Rawdog-Jamie Loftus
3. Clanlands-Sam Heughan
4. Cultish-Amanda Montell
5. The River Runs Red: Perthshire's Dark Past-Mark Bridgeman
6. The Chessman-Peter May
7. The Lewis Man-Peter May
8. The Blackhouse-Peter May
9. Deadman Deep-Lynne McEwan
10. In dark Water-Lynne McEwan
11. Squeaky Clean-Callum McSorley
12. Listen for the Lie-Amy Tintera
13. The bookseller of Inverness- S. G. MacLean
14. Pine-Francine Toon
15. 1979-Val McDermid
16. 1989-Val McDermid
17. Butts: A Backstory-Heather Radke
18. The Bonnie Dead- Andrew Raymond
19. The Distant Echo-Val McDermid
20. A Darker Domain-Val McDermid
21. Skeleton Road-Val McDermid
22. Broken ground-Val McDermid
23. Still life-Val McDermid
24. Past lying-Val McDermid
25. Forensics-Val McDermid
26. Fuzz: When Nature Breaks the Law-Mary Roach
27. Driftnet-Lin Anderson
28. The Crow Trap-Ann Cleaves
29. Telling Tales-Ann Cleaves
30. A Long Time Dead-JM Dalgliesh
hunter2012
AG
Unabridged, I've learned that audiobooks can carry me when the material gets dense or dry. I've done several non-fiction that way. "History of the atomic bomb" is another one that comes to mind, 37 hours of some very dry material but a really good book.
713nervy
AG
AUGUST BOOKS - 17 read

Vampire Academy 2 - 6 by Richelle Mead
The Game Changer by Lana Ferguson
Powerful by Lauren Roberts
Reckless by Lauren Roberts
The Au Pair Affair by Tessa Bailey
Caraval 1 - 3 by Stephanie Garber
Funny Feelings by Tarah DeWitt
The Summer of Broken Rules by KL Walther
The Fiance Dilemma by Elena Armas
Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

All yays except for Bridget Jones.
Dr. Mephisto
AG
Wolfpac 08 said:

I have some questions about your reading…if I read understood your post, you just finished a book while also being midway through 3 other books.

How does that work? Are you reading all day, a little of each? Do you dedicate a day/week to each book? Do you read a sentence of one and then a sentence of another and just rotate through like that?

Do you ever find it challenging to keep storylines straight? Do you get halfway through a page only to realize you're not reading the book you thought you were reading? Do you find yourself wondering what happened to a character only to realize they exist in a different literary universe?

I love to read, but navigating through multiple, complex stories at once seems….daunting..like it would take away from my ability to really get lost in the each story, which is one of my favorite parts of reading.

Granted, with a two year old running around, I'm lucky to get an hour a day to spend in my book.

Anyway, just fun curiosity more than anything. It's quite impressive to a simpleton like myself.
Thanks for asking!

I'm a huge nerd, always have been. At A&M, I'd study for 3 or 4 hours, then as a "break", read a fiction book for an hour. That was my escape from the thick academic texts I had to crush while studying. It went like that for all my academic years.

I wonder how many books I've read in my lifetime. I met a fellow co-worker years ago who had a spread sheet (Spreadsheet Ag's kind of guy) that documented every book he had read that year, the author, title, category, genre, and pages, and date completed. He'd tally the number of pages he'd read each year.

I was so impressed that I started doing that myself about 8 years ago. I wish I had started younger.

I have a notebook (I'm a pen and paper kind of guy . . . a caveman living in the space age . . . I only recently started doing Audible books while I drive . . . I don't know why I waited) where I have kept my records since I started. I do not count professional texts, work reading, or anything other than what I pick up just because I want to.

It's not uncommon for me to get 10,000 pages of reading for pleasure in fiction, non-fiction, short stories, and poetry in a year. There's some people on here who read a ton more, and I say more power to 'em! The covid year, I only had like 3000 pages read. I had tons of personal stuff happening, as well as the world going insane. It was a very off year for me!

I started reading multiple books at once in my 20s. At first, it was 2-3, but I get so excited about many books at once, I couldn't wait. They don't bleed together. Each book has a "groove" that I sync up with, usually with a few pages, and in no time, I'm back in the swing of that text or story.

You get better as a reader and go faster the more you do it. At least that's true for me.

I go everywhere with a book. I have usually have one at the office, one in the vehicle, and several at home. That way, when the receptionist says, "I'm sorry, Dr. Mephisto, but the physician is running late with his appointments, and it will be another hour," I'm thrilled to get an hour of free reading!

I've been a reader since I was like 7.

And THAT my friends, is what happens when you nerd out!
G.I.Bro
Just finished "Kings of the Wyld" by Nicholas Eames. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a good book, but it was the palate cleanser I needed. Easy read, fast-paced.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Just finished the second half of a book I mentioned earlier, a translation of the original two Godzilla stories. The publication includes Godzilla and its sequel, Godzilla Raids Again, by Shigeru Kayama (translated by Jeffrey Angles).

Now it's time to BTHO Notre Dame!
The Marksman
AG
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling. The perfect ending to one of the greatest series of all time. Man, it was good to re-read those books; I appreciate them more and more and in different ways the older I get.
The Dog Lord
AG
Stormlight #3: Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson
Dawnshard by Brandon Sanderson
Stormlight #4: Rhythm of War by Brandon Sanderson
The Lost Metal by Brandon Sanderson
Invitation to the Game by Monica Hughes
A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas
A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas
A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. Maas
A Court of Silver Flames by Sarah J. Maas
House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. Maas
House of Sky and Breath by Sarah J. Maas
House of Flame and Shadow by Sarah J. Maas in-progress

Book 2 of Crescent City wasn't as engaging (despite still being interested in it), but the last 100 or so pages were extremely fast-paced with a ton of surprises. Definitely ready to start book 3 after that finish.
713nervy
AG
I'm a romance and romantasy reader through and through - EG. SJM books. I just got some of Sanderson's where I understand there is zero romance. How's the transition for you? Curious if it will be the same for me, just backwards.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
I read both the Farseer Trilogy and Tawny Man Trilogy by Robin Hobbs over the last month. Talk about an emotional roller coaster. Fitz may be the most run through the mud main character I've ever seen in a book series. The dude had it rough. Even at the end of it all when he finally gets his happiness, it still felt bittersweet in a so many wasted years way.
YouBet
AG
Eisenhorn: The Omnibus (Warhammer 40K) - Dan Abnett
This was my first foray into the Warhammer universe, and I really enjoyed it. Consensus seems to be this is a good series to start your swim through WH40K.

Warhammer 40K is an interesting concept. It's basically sci-fi on a massive scale that pits humanity against Chaos where Chaos is effectively the denizens of Hell. In this case, Hell is another dimension where demons and other monsters live. And those denizens of Chaos are constantly trying to breach our reality. This is where a group called the Imperial Inquisitors come into play who are employed to combat and stamp out Chaos wherever it rears its head in the universe. The Inquisitors are one branch of 3 that work together to fight Chaos.

The Omnibus collects all of the novels and short stories that are directly related to Gregor Eisenhorn who is an Imperial Inquisitor in the employ of the Empire of Man and covers specific periods during his career. His career has spanned roughly 300 years as of the collection of these stories from what I can tell. He is effectively a special ops agent / policeman / FBI / intelligence all rolled into one with pretty broad powers to do what he wants when investigating and fighting Chaos agents or monsters.

This particular series of stories in WH40K is less combat/war focused (although there is plenty of action) and more detective story / grand space opera. It sounds like most WH40K novels are straight up sci-fi war novels that take place on the front lines of wars as opposed to this one.

Completed YTD:

Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries #6)
Supernova in the East IV
Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
Dead Beat (The Dresden Files #7)
Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files #8)
White Night (The Dresden Files #9)
Small Favor (The Dresden Files #10)
Turn Coat (The Dresden Files #11)
Changes (The Dresden Files #12)
Side Jobs (Stories from the Dresden Files #12.5)
Ghost Story (The Dresden Files #13)
Cold Days (The Dresden Files #14)
Skin Game (The Dresden Files #15)
Brief Cases (Stories from the Dresden Files #15.5)
Peace Talks (The Dresden Files #16)
Battleground (The Dresden Files #17)
Supernova in the East V - Dan Carlin
Lives of the Stoics (The Art of Living from Zeno to Marcus Aurelius) - Ryan Holiday and Stephen Hanselman
System Collapse (The Murderbot Diaries #7) - Martha Wells
The Wisdom of Crowds (The Age of Madness, #3) - Joe Abercrombie
Supernova in the East (Hardcore History, #62-67) - Dan Carlin

Currently Reading:
TBD
Philo B 93
I also keep a spreadsheet of books I've read. At the end of the year, I go back and rate each book and write a little blurb on it. Its a good way to really rate books. Some of them I barely remember, others feel like they're my own memories. Some remind me of where I was when I read them (vacations, etc.).

I'm on book #18 this year - Skin Game (Dresden Files) by Jim Butcher.

I've read four or five Dresden Files books based on the ones that were highest rated by various sites. My mistake is I've missed the build up and world-building that makes that series great if read in order. The upside is I missed 4 of the first 5 books that everyone agrees are very slow and the least of his work. I like the idea of Urban Fantasy, and I like the world of the Dresden Files, but I get a little tired of reading 3 or 4 pages to get through every fight scene between Harry and, say, 3 ghouls. Those scenes add 50 or 60 pages to every book. But they are a fun escape.
YouBet
AG
I use GoodReads for my spreadsheet. I have everything I've read annually back through 2013. It does a lot of stats mentioned on here automatically. The funny thing is that it looks exactly the same as it did in 2013. Been almost zero changes to it even after Amazon bought it several years ago.

I realize some won't want to track what they are reading in an app like that, and their annual awards will make your eyes roll but other than that it works well.
The Marksman
AG
Y'all have inspired me to begin keeping a spreadsheet!
cmk10
AG
i just keep books read by month in the notes section of my phone. So one long "note" for the year with spacing for each month.
Furlock Bones
AG
currently reading Hyperion.
StinkyPinky
AG
Furlock Bones said:

currently reading Hyperion.
Verdict? I've always had this on my list to read but always pass it up. Has really polarizing reviews
StinkyPinky
AG
Just finished the first Dresden Files Book (Storm Front). People say be patient because they get better. Holy Hell I can't imagine then because I thought it was greatness. Sucked me right in and most fun I've had in a long time reading a book.
Philo B 93
StinkyPinky said:

Just finished the first Dresden Files Book (Storm Front). People say be patient because they get better. Holy Hell I can't imagine then because I thought it was greatness. Sucked me right in and most fun I've had in a long time reading a book.
I've read Storm Front, Changes, Dead Beat, and Skin Game. I like reading one Dresden book annually in the months leading up to Halloween. I have some regret about not reading them in order, but I think I'd get burned out if the first five are as slow as people say. I did enjoy Storm Front, so I'm probably skipping around for no good reason.

I also like a Stephen King during the Halloween season. Even if its not a horror novel, they all tend to feel a little dark.
StinkyPinky
AG
Philo B 93 said:

StinkyPinky said:

I've read Storm Front, Changes, Dead Beat, and Skin Game. I like reading one Dresden book annually in the months leading up to Halloween. I have some regret about not reading them in order, but I think I'd get burned out if the first five are as slow as people say. I did enjoy Storm Front, so I'm probably skipping around for no good reason.

I also like a Stephen King during the Halloween season. Even if its not a horror novel, they all tend to feel a little dark.
I recently read Fairytale (SK) and quite enjoyed it, even though it did start to feel too long towards the end. Was much more absorbed in Storm Front (albeit half the length of Fairytale).
The Dog Lord
AG
713nervy said:

I'm a romance and romantasy reader through and through - EG. SJM books. I just got some of Sanderson's where I understand there is zero romance. How's the transition for you? Curious if it will be the same for me, just backwards.
I enjoy both. The SJM books are a little lighter/easier reading for me than Sanderson which is exactly what I wanted after reading nothing but his Cosmere for 1.5 years.

Sanderson will still have a character/relationship focus at times but just not as much as SJM and without the spice. His magic systems are often more limited and "technical" as well (which can be good and bad).

I think they both can be a bit slow earlier in the books, but more so with Sanderson. His style is one where there aren't as many time/travel jumps either. It's definitely nice at times where SJM will just get characters from point A to point B in a short period of time. Helps the story push forward at a faster pace. I think both authors tend to have good endings to each book though (I always seem to knock out the last 1/3 or so of each quickly since it picks up significantly).
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
713nervy said:

Yumi and The Nightmare Painter is a recent book of Sanderson's that's is more romantasy than any of his other works. Not twilight level or anything, but is focused on the relationship between two people from different worlds. Would recommend it.
713nervy
AG
Awesome, thank you.
713nervy
AG
I like the sound of that. I enjoy romance and adventure but the focus doesn't have to be on the romance, nor does it have to be smutty. I'll add them to by TBR, thanks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.