2024 Books Read

53,278 Views | 531 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by StinkyPinky
StinkyPinky
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BTHOB said:

StinkyPinky said:

Anyone read "House of Leaves"? Hear a lot about it recently. Seems to have very polarizing love/hate reviews. Thoughts?

Currently reading Mistborn Era 2 Book 4 (Alloy of Law). Also finished last month 3 Body Problem. Trying to decide next book. Will either be Stormlight Archives, or book 2 of 3 Body Problems (Dark Forest), or re-read of Dunes Book 3 (Children of Dune). I like to break series up by skipping between different series between books. But also have seen a lot about House of Leaves that has me intrigued. Also a book called Nuclear War (Annie Jacobsen) is getting a lot of attention.

I've read House of Leaves. I feel like it's the Neverending Story for adults. You, as a reader, are a character in the book. Different editions (of the same book) result in different reading experiences due to the way certain things are communicated throughout the book. It requires effort to read it (with all the footnotes and such) but I think it is one of the most intriguing books I've read. The book is, superficially, about a house that is bigger on the inside than the outside. There are a number of "explorations" of the house documented in the book that you go through as a reader. The book is written as a literal exploration, and you'll only understand what I mean if you read it.
Thanks. I'm intrigued, will give it a spin
HawthornAggie
AG
StinkyPinky said:

HawthornAggie said:

Finished Dune. Now I am trying to decide whether or not to reread Dune Messiah or try a new book.
Messiah is a quick read and finished up the first book nicely. I'd say soldier on.

Starting today, thanks!
The Marksman
AG
The Empty Throne(Saxon Stories Book 8) by Bernard Cornwell
The Marksman
AG
Warriors of the Storm(Saxon Stories Book 9) by Bernard Cornwell
Bigfootisreal
Just finished John Connolly's Instruments of Darkness. Love the Charlie Parker series and admit I am a fanboy! Very good up until the end, which seemed very rushed and exactly the same as most of his other books. First 300 pages and dialogue were fantastic.

Now on to the 3rd Stormlight!
13B
Eliminatus said:

13B said:

I have #17, 18 & 19 left to read on Dresden. How are you liking them?

Started the Raven's Shadow series by Anthony Ryan. Not bad.
Really interested in what you think when you get to books 2 and 3. I absolutely loved Blood Song and was keen to dig into the rest of them when some life distractions took over and when I got back to thinking about them, my sister had mentioned her major disappointment with them which led me to never getting around to ordering them myself as I trust her views. I normally never both with reviews and whatnot but peeked around and it seemed to be a general consensus across the board. With some even entering the "WTF happened" realm by the end of the third book. Still think about them from time to time though.
Not sure what this says about me but I enjoyed the trilogy and have started the Raven's Blade series. I enjoyed it much better than Malazan Book of the Fallen series (admittedly, I haven't gotten very far into it to establish some sort of rhythm and continuity but in my defense, that usually occurs in the first book and doesn't take more than 3). There are definitely a couple of things that go unexplained and at times I do get tired of hearing/reading the word brother. Some of the made up names get to be a little too similar thus, confusing but still an entertaining read and I didn't notice a significant drop off from the first book to the rest. Just my 2 cents. Hope I don't steer you wrong.
Dr. Mephisto
AG
Completed "My Heart is a Chainsaw" by Stephen Graham Jones.

It's a pretty good horror read. Main character is obsessed with slasher flicks, and starts to see the tell-tale signs of a slasher threat in her Idaho community. Does a lot with the indigenous people vs. monied newcomer theme.

References to slasher films from the seventies on. Getting the references is fun, but reminds you of how old you are.

Recommend!

Still working on COMC, but have also started "Slewfoot" by Brom, as well as a few others on the side.
The Marksman
AG
The Flame Bearer(Saxon Stories Book 10) by Bernard Cornwell
The Dog Lord
AG
Stormlight #3: Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson
Dawnshard by Brandon Sanderson
Stormlight #4: Rhythm of War by Brandon Sanderson
The Lost Metal by Brandon Sanderson
Invitation to the Game by Monica Hughes in-progress

Well the final Mistborn Era 2 book didn't take me long to read. It had a much faster pace imo than Sanderson's other works, but that also made it feel somewhat jarring in terms of things being introduced in this book without really being part of the prior books. I know Autonomy had technically already been around influencing the Set, but we didn't really get that until this book, and then Autonomy is gone by the end.

Out of all of Sanderson's work that I've read so far, Stormlight is probably my favorite, but I think the Wax and Wayne books are the easiest and most fun to read. Really sad that they are over. Even though there were some clear next steps for some characters, I'm assuming we aren't likely to see them after the time jump in Era 3. With Wayne gone, it wouldn't be the same anyway. I really liked one of the final moments with him where he says "barely used..." when Wax finds the handkerchief Wayne swapped for the vial of lerasium on his belt. Made me laugh.

Very interested to know how Era 3 plays out. There are so many things out there like the Bands of Mourning, lerasium, etc. that could all play a part in shaping the next phase. I was thinking of diving into the wikis and online discussion boards soon to help me review everything I've read and piece things together a bit more, but I actually think I may wait to do that until after I read some of the secret projects and other things I haven't gotten to yet just to be safe. May not get to those until next year though since Stormlight 5 will be a priority once it comes out in December. Still considering reading White Sands as well at some point.

I am interested though to know what others think the endgame is. When reading Stormlight, it felt like Odium would be the "big bad" of the Cosmere. I guess that could still be true, especially with the new Vessel of Taravangian, but as more Shards are introduced it makes me second guess that. Definitely interested to see if there are more than 2 sides before all things are said and done, if there are multiple Shards aligned to various sides (seems like they are all fairly independent), or if the ultimate solution is somehow trying to reunite the Shards.

Next up is a throwback to 5th/6th grade. Invitation to the Game was among the first sci-fi books I remember reading. Will have to see how it goes reading it as an adult. I still enjoy occasionally reading some of my favorites from those years, but I've never re-read this one. Really just doing it as a palate cleanser before jumping into something else.
Agristotle
AG
FWIW, I thought "The Dark Forest" was good.
It's too long and the translation can get a little clunky, but a great plot and an elegant finish.

But I think I'm going to pass on "Death's End" Seems like its just a complete reboot.
The Dog Lord
AG
Invitation to the Game by Monica Hughes
A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas in-progress

Not going to give an in depth review of a YA book, but it was fun enough to reread as an adult. I forgot the underlying issue of it being a dystopia with massive unemployment due to the rise of robotics. Seems timely reading it now…

Next up is A Court of Thorns and Roses. I've never read romantasy before, but my wife and a friend really wanted me to try it. I don't mind the occasional YA stuff, so if it's on that level I'm sure I'll get through it.
StinkyPinky
AG
The Dog Lord said:

Invitation to the Game by Monica Hughes
A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas in-progress

Not going to give an in depth review of a YA book, but it was fun enough to reread as an adult. I forgot the underlying issue of it being a dystopia with massive unemployment due to the rise of robotics. Seems timely reading it now…

Next up is A Court of Thorns and Roses. I've never read romantasy before, but my wife and a friend really wanted me to try it. I don't mind the occasional YA stuff, so if it's on that level I'm sure I'll get through it.
My daughter read it and loved it, first thing remotely related to fantasy that she's read. She's egging me on to read it as well,
The Marksman
AG
War of the Wolf(Saxon Stories Book 11) by Bernard Cornwell
StinkyPinky
AG
Big decision. Thoughts? I'm about to start my next series and can't decide:

Stormlight Archives or Dresden Files?

And to be fair good chance I'll alternate between the two throughout, but can't decide which I want to start with.
Texas Gator
Although I generally read non-fiction, I have gotten some really good fiction suggestions from this thread. I thought that I should pay that back, in case anyone is looking for a good non-fiction read. Here are some that I have read over the last few months:

• New Cold Wars, David Sanger & Mary Brooks - pretty good overview of the U.S.-China & U.S.-Russia relationships. Easy read, but did not feel like much of a deep dive.
  • World on the Brink, Dmitri Alperovitch & Garrett Graff - A really thoughtful and (somewhat) hawkish take on how the U.S. should deal with China, what the risks of war are, and why Taiwan is so critical to the U.S. and its allies. Liked this book a lot.
  • Age of Revolutions, Fareed Zakaria - Wound up kind of meh on this book, which tried to connect periods of turmoil in world politics to today's world. It was fine, but didn't feel very new or engaging.
  • Chip War, Chris Miller - Excellent book on how vital microchips are to the global economy and security. I did not expect to find this book as interesting as I did.
  • The Kingdom, the Power, and the Glory, Tim Alberta - This book gave me a new perspective on the interactions between the evangelical movement and American politics. Recommended.
  • Nuclear War, Annie Jacobson - Although given as a fictional nuclear war scenario, it provides a thorough breakdown of how such a crisis could occur and what its consequences would look like. I teach & study this stuff and still walked away with new info. Expect some sleepless nights after reading.
  • Losing Our Religion, Russell Moore - One of the best books that I have read this year. Although I am not an evangelical, it gave me a window into religion and politics that I found valuable.
  • A Fever in the Heartland, Timothy Egan - Story of the rise and fall of the Ku Klux Klan in the 1920s that I found useful for seeing how waves like this hit American politics and how they ultimately fall.
  • My Promised Land, Ari Shavit - One of the best and most personal books that I have read on the history of Israel. Captures both Israel's remarkable achievements and the places where it has fallen short. Highly recommend.
  • The Showman, Simon Shuster - A well-done personal account of the Ukrainian president. I felt that I had a better read on his character and personality, both positive and negative, after reading the book.
  • Our Enemies Will Vanish, Yaroslav Trofimov - Probably the best war reporting of the first year of the Russia-Ukraine War. Superb.
  • America and Iran, John Ghazvinian. I knew nothing about the history of the U.S. & Iran before the 1970s. This book described an incredibly rich and complex history between the two countries. One of my favorite recent books.
13B
StinkyPinky said:

Big decision. Thoughts? I'm about to start my next series and can't decide:

Stormlight Archives or Dresden Files?

And to be fair good chance I'll alternate between the two throughout, but can't decide which I want to start with.
Really can't go wrong either way. More options in Dresden though(17 not counting novelettes vs 6 for Stormlight Archives). Both have the next volume coming out in the nearish future.
BTHOB
AG
Texas Gator said:

• Nuclear War, Annie Jacobson - Although given as a fictional nuclear war scenario, it provides a thorough breakdown of how such a crisis could occur and what its consequences would look like. I teach & study this stuff and still walked away with new info. Expect some sleepless nights after reading.

I read this, as well, and thought it was excellent.
YouBet
AG
Completed YTD:

Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries #6)
Supernova in the East IV
Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
Dead Beat (The Dresden Files #7)
Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files #8)
White Night (The Dresden Files #9)
Small Favor (The Dresden Files #10)
Turn Coat (The Dresden Files #11)
Changes (The Dresden Files #12)
Side Jobs (Stories from the Dresden Files #12.5)
Ghost Story (The Dresden Files #13)

Recently Completed
Cold Days (The Dresden Files #14)
Skin Game (The Dresden Files #15)
Brief Cases (Stories from the Dresden Files #15.5)

Currently Reading:
Peace Talks (The Dresden Files #16)
Supernova in the East V - Dan Carlin
Lives of the Stoics (The Art of Living from Zeno to Marcus Aurelius) - Ryan Holiday and Stephen Hanselman
13B
On Battle Ground #17 right now.
StinkyPinky
AG
Texas Gator said:

I've heard this can be a good but haunting read. Have it on the list.
Dr. Mephisto
AG
Completed "Slewfoot" by Brom.

It was a mix between The Crucible and Hawthorne stories, with more supernatural flavor. The artwork is insane! The writer is also a graphic guy, so he's an amazing artist. Seems to have his hand in a bit of everything.

I loved it! Its got that Old World/New World tension, mixed up with the romantic ideas of untamed wilderness and the spirit folk who are connected to that land. It really plays up the mythological component of a land and its kinfolk spirits.

Puritans are easy to villainize because of their much vaunted heavy-handed approach to everything. They don't disappoint here.

Recommend!

Moving through COMC, in the middle of Hail Mary, and picking up Ready Player Two.

YouBet
AG
13B said:

Is that the last official Dresden book?
13B
YouBet said:

13B said:

Yes. It was good. Some definitely interesting turn of events. Has a little Novelette at the end "Christmas Eve".

"Twelve Months" is supposed to be coming out in the near future it's #18.
WoMD
13B said:

YouBet said:

13B said:

Yes. It was good. Some definitely interesting turn of events. Has a little Novelette at the end "Christmas Eve".

I wish I could somehow erase all memory of that series and read it again for the first time. So damn good...
YouBet
AG
WoMD said:

13B said:

YouBet said:

13B said:

I wish I could somehow erase all memory of that series and read it again for the first time. So damn good...

I just bought Aeronat's Windlass. Have you read that?

My wife is now giving me hell because I've only been reading Jim Butcher for months now. She's read 40 books YTD and I've read what's on my list here and its driving her crazy.
13B
YouBet said:

WoMD said:

13B said:

YouBet said:

13B said:

I just bought Aeronat's Windlass. Have you read that?

My wife is now giving me hell because I've only been reading Jim Butcher for months now. She's read 40 books YTD and I've read what's on my list here and its driving her crazy.
I did, I keep waiting for the next one to drop. It was enjoyable.
G.I.Bro
I still need to finish Malazan so I can get started on rereads of Dresden and Stormlight. I wish I could balance hobbies better, but I know once I start reading again my guitar playing will take a massive hit
Agristotle
AG
David Ignatius just dropped a new book, Phantom Orbit. If you like modern day espionage, his stuff is great.
AGC
AG
Agristotle said:

Please report back on The Name of the Rose.

Since this post I've finished:

- The Two Towers (with my kids)

- Sense and Sensibility (on a whim), which I'd not really recommend to most of my friends, unless of course you're married to a woman who loves period pieces in which case you can watch at least four different versions of the movie afterwards and discuss how each interprets the characters and weaves the story together differently before you rip off her bodice and go to town.

The Name of the Rose: I have thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's a well written mystery set in a monastery in Italy that lends itself to many levels of understanding and interpretation. Our novice Adso arrives with an Englishman, Brother William, who is invited to solve a murder before a large delegation arrives (William of course happens to be up to date on all the 'modern' technological advances of the 1300s). However, while the Abbott lets him investigate, the library is off limits and not everyone is honest, making it hard to solve the case. You can enjoy just the mystery, but you can also explore European and Roman Catholic history (though that will probably entail some references between all of the orders - not necessary to enjoy the story). It's also an investigation of epistemology - what's true? How do I know it's true? It's masterfully told to bring you to the final dialogue between the main characters and leave you wondering. I do recommend a reference guide for the characters which can be found online.

- Return of the King: only The Gray Havens is left with my kids but we'll wrap it up tomorrow and watch the movie next week.
Agristotle
AG
Well done! Thank you for the detail.
Eliminatus
AG
Finally sat down and read Tress of the Emerald Sea. Started and finished in one go. I will admit I've been in a reading funk last couple of months and this was exactly what I needed to hopefully break it. It was delightfully wholesome and a massive shift from my usual dark and grim stuff which I guess I have been needing.
Another Doug
AG
Eliminatus said:

Finally sat down and read Tress of the Emerald Sea. Started and finished in one go. I will admit I've been in a reading funk last couple of months and this was exactly what I needed to hopefully break it. It was delightfully wholesome and a massive shift from my usual dark and grim stuff which I guess I have been needing.

Obviously I support your reading choice.
YouBet
AG
Completed YTD:

Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries #6)
Supernova in the East IV
Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
Dead Beat (The Dresden Files #7)
Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files #8)
White Night (The Dresden Files #9)
Small Favor (The Dresden Files #10)
Turn Coat (The Dresden Files #11)
Changes (The Dresden Files #12)
Side Jobs (Stories from the Dresden Files #12.5)
Ghost Story (The Dresden Files #13)
Cold Days (The Dresden Files #14)
Skin Game (The Dresden Files #15)
Brief Cases (Stories from the Dresden Files #15.5)

Recently Completed:
Peace Talks (The Dresden Files #16)

I believe this is the first Dresden novel I've read that wasn't a self-contained novel. This and Battleground obviously a climatic duopoly for this arc so far.

Currently Reading:
Battleground (The Dresden Files #17)
Supernova in the East V - Dan Carlin
Lives of the Stoics (The Art of Living from Zeno to Marcus Aurelius) - Ryan Holiday and Stephen Hanselman
YouBet
AG
And caught up with The Dresden Files am I. I started Battleground yesterday and finished it last night. Incredible climax to this 19 book (including two anthologies) arc.

I can't recommend enough how everyone should read this. It has everything you could possibly hope for in a series. It's easily in my top three series ever and arguably #1 overall. Harry Dresden is an all-time protagonist and maybe #1 here as well. (I recognize this is recency bias since this is all I've been reading for 5 months, but I doubt it will change).

If you like fantasy, mythology, and religion all mixed up in a blender with a stubborn, snarky Gen X'er as your protagonist then this series is for you. Read it. Now.
13B
These are a really enjoyable read, kinda sad I have to wait for more. Should be interesting where they go now though.
Did you ever try out the Monster Hunter International series?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.