Christmas movies....whatcha got?

8,485 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Zombie Jon Snow
A is A
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Must watch for us is Four Christmases

Capybara
It's a Wonderful Life, The Shop Around the Corner, The Apartment, Home Alone, Eyes Wide Shut, Barbie in the Nutcracker, Carol. Also the Santa fight episode of American Dad.
bagger05
AG
Really enjoyed Love Hard and 8-Bit Christmas.

We usually watch Elf, Just Friends, Christmas Vacation, The Holiday, Four Christmases, and Love Actually.

Home Alone usually gets watched multiple times. Definitely the #1 at our house.

I usually watch Die Hard but my wife isn't a big fan.

Growing up we'd watch White Christmas at least once a year. I haven't seen it in a few years -- I think I've met my quota for my lifetime.

My wife will have cheesy Hallmark movies on in the background this time of year. If I'm around I usually like them for what they are.

I also for some reason associate the Imaginationland episodes of South Park with Christmas. I guess Santa Claus and the Christmas Critters are in it so maybe it counts as a Christmas movie.
Scotty Flamingo
A is A said:

Woman, do your job and swaddle this baby!
An L of an Ag
AG
NoahAg said:

Saw a pretty good one about a bratty kid who got left home, alone during Christmas. And he had to protect his home, alone, from would-be burglars. I think it was called "The Kid Who Got Left at His House By Himself."

Is this from the same director as "The Christmas That Almost Wasn't But Then Was"?
northaustinaggie87
AG
We always watch Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, Elf, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (cartoon and Jim Carrey). We added Love Actually this year.
CAR96
AG
Watching right now for my second viewing this Christmas. Love Santa voiced by Jim Broadbent.
fig96
AG
agmag90 said:

Klaus is very good, family friendly, and has made it into our annual rotation
I'd forgotten about Klaus but seconded, it was nominated for Best Animated Feature and it really is that good. Need to give it a rewatch.
Donnys Element
My wife and I watch Love Actually every Christmas Eve. The Night Before is hilarious and hasn't been mentioned above.
CAR96
AG
Klaus… yea it's so good. I knew there was an animated one I was forgetting.
AustinAg2K
fig96 said:

AustinAg2K said:

My wife discovers way too many Christmas movies every year. She always binge watches Hallmark type Christmas movies. The weird thing I've learned is that there are sub genres even within the Hallmark Christmas movie genre. Like there are dozens of Christmas Prince movies, or Christmas farm movies. This year my wife has been into Christmas movies that all seem to revolve around wineries.

In case you are wondering, every one of these subgenres is terrible.

Speaking as someone who has seen all 642 Hallmark movies, this is 100% accurate.
TyHolden
AG
every year...

The Family Stone
The Green Book
Christmas Vacation
Christmas Office Party
It's a Wonderful LIfe
Polar Express
The Family Man
Scrooged
Groundhog Day
maybe HP1
Scotty Flamingo
AgTrip said:

I stumbled onto this on Netflix and was so pleasantly surprised. Italians do a feast of seven fishes on Christmas eve and this movie was about one Italian family. I loved the scenes of the big family interacting, it reminded me of mine at times. Great show!

What other Christmas movies have you discovered this season that you haven't seen before?

Watched this tonight based off this post. Loved it. Will be part of my yearly rotation going forward.
Philo B 93
The only one I watch EVERY year is Christmas Vacation. It's been mentioned more than any other movie on this thread by a wide margin. What is the deal with that movie? Why is it so crazy popular? Last week a friend told me it's his favorite movie, not just favorite Christmas movie.

"I don't know what to say, but it's Christmas, and we're all in misery.". - Ellen Griswald.
The Collective
AG
Am the only one who gets infuriated watching Love Actually? Poster board dude needs his ass kicked for sure.
Independence H-D
For those that love Hallmark movies....

And those that hate them...

Wife and I had several lol moments.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Every year, we watch:

The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (animated and Jim Carrey)
White Christmas
Home Alone
Christmas Vacation
Die Hard
Violent Night
A Christmas Story
Santa Claus is Coming to Town
Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer
Frosty the Snowman

When we start early enough, we watch:
Lethal Weapon
Christmas with the Kranks
The Nativity Story
Home Alone 2
Elf
Bad Santa

This year, we discovered:
The Christmas Chronicles (Netflix)

We might watch:
Fatman
#FJB
vmiaptetr
AG
Has anyone watched this one? I haven't brought myself to do it yet.

gigemJTH12
AG
Jingle All The Way
bagger05
AG
Watched Spirited last year. Big time Broadway musical vibes. Long music/dance numbers with a big ensemble/chorus. Very high ratio of song to dialogue.

I liked it okay. I thought it would've been better if the musical numbers and the movie itself were all about 15% shorter (but that's the way I feel about most musicals).
Garrelli 5000
AG
Every year - previously mentioned
  • A Christmas Story
  • NL Christmas Vacation
  • Trading Places
  • Arthur Christmas - fantastic animation - one of those shows that throws so much at you that each year you find/laugh at new things
  • Elf
Each of these usually get multiple watches except for Arthur. We always watch at least once start to finish, and they're played so much on other channels they're like Dumb and Dumber - you stop channel surfing when you run across it.

Every year - not mentioned already
  • Santa Clause The Movie (approximately the 1st half. Once John Lithgow gets involved and it derails from the origin story it sucks)
  • Snowball Express - this is on Disney+ and has been a favorite of mine since I discovered it on Disney Channel when I was a kid in the early 80's. Not 'christmas' based but it feels likes a christmas movie due to the snow/skiing/location, etc.

Others - occasional
  • Love Actually - was regular for a while. I'm burned out on it. Some of the story arcs (cheating husband, on the spectrum brother, etc) are just F'ing sad and depressing and makes me want to watch the movie less and less. I've managed to distract when my wife has suggested this year
  • Babes in Toyland - another classic Disney movie I loved as a kid. Its really tough these days however - the over the top musical was fine when I was 8. When I'm 48....lots of alcohol consumed and if I watch its when I'm wrapping presents, movie playing in background. Wife hates it and I understand.
  • Klaus - new - I love it - I think wife tolerates - she'll be on her phone most of the movie
  • Grinch - the newest animated version - we've watched twice - it could easily become a regular and probably will. We've leaned heavily into Grinch decor lately.
  • Bad Santa
  • Edit - Home Alone (likely moving to every year)
Staff - take out the trash.
An L of an Ag
AG
If you're into surly/violent Christmas, Bad Santa and Fatman are required viewing.
Ag_07
AG
Ernest Saves Christmas is an all timer that doesn't get the recognition it deserves.
Rex Racer
AG
They are not Christmas movies, but my wife and I watch The Lord of the Rings movies every Christmas.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Superb.
vmiaptetr
AG
Good Lord. It'll be New Year's before you finish all of that.
Rex Racer
AG
MoreCushing4thePushing said:

Good Lord. It'll be New Year's before you finish all of that.

It's only 3 movies. One per night.
The Collective
AG
A is A said:

One of my favorite moments:

Dad: Look, I don't want to speak ill of your mother on Christmas, but...she's nothin but a common street *****.

Brad: ...and she left you because you wouldn't talk to her, you stopped spending time with her, you completely shut her out of your life.

Dad: I fed her, I put a roof over her head, and I never lied to her face. I spoiled her was what I did.

Ag_07
AG
Four Christmases is fantastic

Tim McGraw, John Favreau, and Dwight Yoakum low-key killed it in that movie.
Philo B 93
Rex Racer said:

They are not Christmas movies, but my wife and I watch The Lord of the Rings movies every Christmas.

I also like those movies this time of year.
Moral High Horse
My little guilty pleasure:

Scotty Flamingo
I enjoyed The Man Who Invented Christmas. It's about Charles Dickens writing A Christmas Carol.
Gigem314
AG
Ag_07 said:

Four Christmases is fantastic

Tim McGraw, John Favreau, and Dwight Yoakum low-key killed it in that movie.
Favreau was ripped for that movie. The two brothers ganging up on Vince Vaughn is hilarious.

"I can't have you kids gettin' hurt, or I'll lose custody again"

"They're coming to install your satellite dish on Monday"
"You think I'm gonna let some pedophile into my house and touch my underware?"
MW03
AG
My ugly Christmas sweater is getting a lot of confused looks

rhutton125
AG
Muppet Christmas Carol

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.