Percy Jackson TV Show to be Released Tomorrow

4,394 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by AgBQ-00
lethalninja
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's on Disney Plus and the first season is eight episodes. The first two episodes will be released tomorrow and the rest of them will be released every Wednesday until January 31st.

AgBQ-00
AG
Really liked these books. Hoping the series is better than the couple of movies they did
lethalninja
Yeah, the movies are completely different than the books, but Rick Riordan said the show will be much more accurate.
Wes97
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Really liked these books. Hoping the series is better than the couple of movies they did
I don't know. I can think of two good things about those movies.
lethalninja
Episode 1 I Accidentally Vaporize My Pre-Algebra Teacher

Episode 2 I Become Supreme Lord of the Bathroom

Episode 3 We Visit the Garden Gnome Emporium

Episode 4 I Plunge to My Death

Episode 5 A God Buys Us Cheeseburgers

Episode 6 We Take a Zebra to Vegas

Episode 7 We Find Out the Truth, Sort Of

Episode 8 The Prophecy Comes True

The episode names are chapter titles from the first book
lethalninja
If you don't have Disney Plus, the first episode will be on Hulu from tomorrow until January 31st (the other episodes are only on Disney Plus).
lethalninja
There's actually a new Percy Jackson book that came out in September (Chalice of the Gods) and another one (Wrath of the Triple Goddess) is coming out next September.
lethalninja
The movies are on Disney Plus as well, if anyone wants to compare the show to the movies.
schmendeler
AG
Don't know anything about the movies or the books but it has a good rating on rotten tomatoes. Might give it a watch with the kids.
Flashdiaz
AG
Are the show and movies just different versions of the same thing?

We (fam and I) haven't watched the movies. Will we miss anything if we forego the movies?
AgBQ-00
AG
I think this is a reboot. Treating it as if the movies didn't exist. Seeing the trailer it highlights some of my favorite scenes from the books. That has me pretty excited
agdoc2001
AG
Based on the look of the actors, they are apparently treating this as if the books never existed either.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Collective
AG
Watched with my 12 year old who loves the books. Got his approval.

I thought it was better than the movie (from memory - been years). This is definitely aimed at that preteen kid range.
The Collective
AG
My kid mentioned the girl playing Annabeth did not look as described in the book. I didn't say anything, but it is the most Texags observation I've ever heard from my 12 year old.
Saxsoon
AG
The Collective said:

My kid mentioned the girl playing Annabeth did not look as described in the book. I didn't say anything, but it is the most Texags observation I've ever heard from my 12 year old.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
The Porkchop Express
AG
My long-time story about these books told many times before.

My brother teaches 8th grade English in the H.
Each year, his school procures an author to come read a section of their book to the kids to get them excited for the upcoming book fair / school year. During the summer of 2005, they had lined up Rick Riordan for that fall semester. He had published some adult stuff and the first Percy Jackson book was being advertised by teh publisher as a Harry Potter-like adventure.

Most people don't know that he finished the first book, The Lightning Thief, back in 1994. Bantam Books bought it in 1997, but never released it, possibly not wanting to go head to head with Harry Potter, who knows. They held it forever, then sold the rights to Miramax Books in 2005. So the guy finished the manuscript in 1994 and the book wasn't on the shelves for 11 years, and then suddenly it blew up. Pretty awesome, even if he is a sip.

The day he came to my brother's school,, it was pretty much a mob scene. He stayed all day instead of just for 2 hours, and gave away free copies of the first book to every single kid in the entire school - more than 600 copies at all.

The staff found out the next day he had turned down live remote interviews that morning from Good Morning America and the Today Show to keep his commitment to the school. It was National Literacy Week and they both wanted him on to do a little segment.

And the reason Percy Jackson has dyslexia and ADHD is because Riordan's son, who was 9 at the time he wrote the first book, also has those, and he wanted to show his kid that anyone could be a hero, regardless of what they were struggling with.

jeffk
AG
That's awesome. Thanks for sharing that.
Zeke1995
AG
Wes97 said:

AgBQ-00 said:

And Alexandra Daddario had both of them.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Watched the first two episodes tonight with my girls. They were both enthusiastic to watch the second one as soon as the first. was over. Neither has read the books so that makes it a lot more fun I'd say.

Having Jason Mantzoukas play Dionysus might be the most inspiring casting of the year for me. I binged The Good Place last summer and he was phenomenal there much like he was on The League back in the day.

CapCityAg89
AG
My then 8 year old fell off n love with lightning Thief after her 3rd grade teacher gave her a copy (we still have it). She talked me into reading the series with her. Fantastic magic system and really good world. We loved it. I read the first two series but petered out on the third. I think my now 16 year old read that first trilogy 3-4 times.

After watching E1 tonight, we clapped. I asked if she was relieved … "SO relieved"

The books, fantastic especially parent/child reading together to discuss. The movies - awful, horrible. Just pretend they don't exist. This first episode was great. My daughter said it was interesting what they changed but I couldn't tell you what it was. Seemed quite faithful to me.
ILAggie04
AG
My twin sister plays Sally Jackson, Percy's mom. It's great that we finally have something we can watch with the kids that she's in. We haven't watched it yet, but we are looking forward to getting into it over the break. This was one of her favorites yet to film.
The Porkchop Express
AG
ILAggie04 said:

My twin sister plays Sally Jackson, Percy's mom. It's great that we finally have something we can watch with the kids that she's in. We haven't watched it yet, but we are looking forward to getting into it over the break. This was one of her favorites yet to film.
Wow, congrats! She did great. She has the hardest part of the show IMO, convincing Percy and the audience that it's all real.
CapCityAg89
AG
ILAggie04 said:

She was great!! Tell her she had at least one fan at TexAgs.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I took a gander at the rest of the casting to see who was playing the gods and came away very impressed.

Lance Reddick (RIP) as Zeus
Lin-Manuel Miranda as Hermes
Jay Duplass as Hades, which means we're 2 degrees of separation away from a The League reunion on Percy Jackson
Toby Stephens as Poseidon
Timothy Omundson aka Carlton Lassiter - as Hephaestus
Smoking hot Jessica Parker Kennedy as Medusa

ILAggie04
AG
Speaking of degrees of Separation. She was also in the Following with Kevin Bacon, so you're welcome...
The Porkchop Express
AG
And Lance Reddick and the guy playing Chiron were both on The Wire.
lethalninja
The third episode came out yesterday. They set off on their quest and meet a very famous monster from Greek mythology.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Medusa was very well done. Second half of the episode was very tense and interesting.
Joan Wilder
AG
He was on a late night show recently where he said his friends' kids gave him incredibly detailed background and insight/analysis on his character - better than any director notes in his career.
lethalninja
The first and second episodes have the same director, the third and fourth episodes have the same director, the fifth and sixth episodes have the same director and the director or directors for the seventh and eighth episodes haven't been announced, so the show has at least three directors.
Cromagnum
AG
Wes97 said:

AgBQ-00 said:

The Collective
AG
ILAggie04 said:

The flashbacks with her in the most recent episode are very good
AgBQ-00
AG
Watched the first couple of episodes tonight. Really like it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.