*** BEVERLY HILLS COP: AXEL F ***

3,801 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by Proposition Joe
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our realtor has a yearly Christmas movie showing at a drive-in movie theater. We went last night to watch The Santa Clause and Judge Reinhold popped up in it in the worst sweater ever.

Incredible trivia from that movie - the weekend it came out in 1994, Tim Allen had the #1 movie, the #1 TV show, and the #1 book all atthe same time
EclipseAg
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

The instrumental came out at a rare time when songs without words could occasionally make it to #1 on the Top 40. In a four-year stretch, that happened 3 times with Vangelis' Chariots of Fire theme, which I played on clarinet in the elementary school band;; Axel F by Harold Faltermeyer, and then the Miami Vice Theme by Jan Hammer in 1985.

It's only happened once since then with Harlem Shake in 2013.

Not to derail the thread, but this is an interesting sidenote.

Making Billboard's Top 20 -- and hitting No. 1 -- was fairly common for instrumentals in the '70s.
EclipseAg
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Apache said:

What about that St. Elmo's Fire theme? Wasn't that in that era?
(Sorry - didn't make #1, but was still hugely popular on air)

Yeah based on Wikipedia it to to #15.

The actual song St. Elmo's Fire (Man In Motion) did hit #1.
Co-written by the great David Foster.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Psychag said:

People don't realize just what a mega star Eddie Murphy was then. Beverly Hills Cop, 48 hrs (my personal favorite), Trading Places, Coming to America, Raw. He could do no wrong. No one bigger. This looks like it may be a glimpse into early Murphy. At least I hope so.
True.

Then I believe he pissed off a bunch of Hollywood types with a rant at a podium at the Academy awards.
#FJB
Another Doug
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Psychag said:

People don't realize just what a mega star Eddie Murphy was then. Beverly Hills Cop, 48 hrs (my personal favorite), Trading Places, Coming to America, Raw. He could do no wrong. No one bigger. This looks like it may be a glimpse into early Murphy. At least I hope so.
True.

Then I believe he pissed off a bunch of Hollywood types with a rant at a podium at the Academy awards.

No, his movies just went from usually really good with an edge to it, to consistently forgettable for about 5 years. After his so called rant, he was still the highest paid actor in Hollywood for a while.
Proposition Joe
EclipseAg said:

Proposition Joe said:

Apache said:

What about that St. Elmo's Fire theme? Wasn't that in that era?
(Sorry - didn't make #1, but was still hugely popular on air)

Yeah based on Wikipedia it to to #15.

The actual song St. Elmo's Fire (Man In Motion) did hit #1.
Co-written by the great David Foster.

And Amy Holland helped with the version that had lyrics.

Holland wrote the final song in Teen Wolf, and I only know that because I downloaded that MP3 decades ago.
Proposition Joe
Boomerang and Distinguished Gentlemen were still solid 90s fare.

But then he did Beverly Hills Cop 3 and followed that up Wes Craven's Vampire In Brooklyn.

And it was all downhill from there.
BCG Disciple
AG
I'm in, but I watched the trailer intently and waited for something funny to happen. Hopefully they're saving the jokes.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
It's such a shame this isn't playing in theaters. The footage continues to be so promising, and there's so much potential here for it to be a hit.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Axel ****?
agdoc2001
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Boomerang and Distinguished Gentlemen were still solid 90s fare.

But then he did Beverly Hills Cop 3 and followed that up Wes Craven's Vampire In Brooklyn.

And it was all downhill from there.

I Spy was still pretty funny
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TXAG 05
AG
I always liked Bowfinger, although that is more a Steve Martin movie. Plus he was Donkey in the Shrek movies.
maroon barchetta

Make a wish!
Proposition Joe
I love Murphy's golden era and Beverly Hills Cop is one of my all-time favorites (the eyerolls from the significant other where I always say "check Rolling Stone Magazine's Proposition Joe" when they initially can't find my name)... But by all accounts I've read for the better part of two decades he was an absolute *******.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.