Spider-Man with Toby McGuire

3,076 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Madmarttigan
Ghost of Bisbee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rewatched this today. Actually a very good movie and has aged well. Jameson is hilarious. Kirsten Dunst is the best MJ

And it's better than all the marvel movies released since no way home

Toby is my favorite spider man over either Garfield or the zendaya boyfriend
C@LAg

I too have bad opinions.
rhutton125
AG
I think 1 is better than 2.

But also that Holland is the best Spider-Man
Bruce Almighty
AG
Agree on Holland being the best Spider-Man. I love Toby though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Spider-Man 2 is still the best Spider-Man movie.

(Even though I prefer 1 for nostalgia reasons.)
Madmarttigan
AG
Funny I think Holland is my least favorite Spider-Man, can't put a finger on why and I don't think he is bad but I prefer Toby/Andrew/Miles morales.
Carlo4
AG
Toby was great as the initial one. Holland is great for the Marvel movie crossovers.

Garfield… no.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Tobey is the best Peter (nerdy scientist type), Tom is the best spiderman (snarky fun guy)
rhutton125
AG
I feel like Tobey was best if your idea of Spider-Man is from the originals, in the 60s. Peter is always a science guy but by 2023 he's had more hot girlfriends than Leonardo DiCaprio.

My only beefs with Garfield are things outside his control - like the direction of the rebooted series as a whole. Cool guy sk8r Parker who is completely neurotic and panicky and whose mood changes from scene to scene. Not his fault the writing and direction were so bad.
bluefire579
AG
I'm partial to the Insomniac version, myself
bangobango
AG
Spiderman 2 is one of the greatest comic book movies of all time.
Decay
AG
I will agree they aged well. Raimi is an acquired taste and dispite loving Army of Darkness, it felt like his style didn't really correlate to a summer blockbuster comic book movie. But now I can appreciate he went for it, and made those movies his own.

The MCU movies are better. But that's ok. They're still fun.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Iron Man '08 was the only MCU movie that's better imo

Rewatching Spider-Man 2 now. So good like you're all saying
Urban Ag
AG
The biggest difference, IMO, between Maguire and Holland, is the relationship with RDJ/Stark. It's a connection to something so much bigger than anything the Maguire films could hope to offer. And it is done just so, so, well. It added so much to the Infinity War films.

Backed up with two Gen X favorites, Tomei and Favreau's contributions, it's about perfect.
Iowaggie
AG
Carlo4 said:

Toby was great as the initial one. Holland is great for the Marvel movie crossovers.

Garfield… no.

In my experience with my kids, they all prefer the Spiderman who they first watched as Spiderman so some like Garfield.

For me, the Tom Holland Spiderman character is my least favorite. I really like Holland fine, I like all those guys, but my original exposure on Spiderman character was the McGuire and Garfield type friendly neighborhood Spiderman. The Spiderman that had the homemade suits and wasn't high tech gadgetry Spiderman. The Holland Spiderman wasn't the cash poor Spidey that would have to fix his suit himself.

I really liked Garfield, but his stories and the movies themselves, just weren't as popular.
bearamedic99
AG
bangobango said:

Umm, no

Hellboy 2
GoAgs92
AG
It's a shame in real life Mr Maguire is a tool
PatAg
AG
People have forgotten how crazy that first scene of him web slinging around the city was. First 2 movies hold up
The Porkchop Express
I still don't understand how Doc Ock can take a punch from Spider-man.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
C@LAg
bearamedic99 said:

bangobango said:

Umm, no

Hellboy 2
HTH
TXAG 05
AG
Iowaggie said:

Carlo4 said:

Garfield… no.

In my experience with my kids, they all prefer the Spiderman who they first watched as Spiderman so some like Garfield.

For me, the Tom Holland Spiderman character is my least favorite. I really like Holland fine, I like all those guys, but my original exposure on Spiderman character was the McGuire and Garfield type friendly neighborhood Spiderman. The Spiderman that had the homemade suits and wasn't high tech gadgetry Spiderman. The Holland Spiderman wasn't the cash poor Spidey that would have to fix his suit himself.

I really liked Garfield, but his stories and the movies themselves, just weren't as popular.

The Holland Spiderman was cash poor and making his own suits before Stark came along. They just skipped over that part of his life where the other SpiderMan movies had a big focus on the origin story.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
It also looks like the next movie will be returning to that.
Faustus
Urban Ag said:

The biggest difference, IMO, between Maguire and Holland, is the relationship with RDJ/Stark. It's a connection to something so much bigger than anything the Maguire films could hope to offer. And it is done just so, so, well. It added so much to the Infinity War films.

Backed up with two Gen X favorites, Tomei and Favreau's contributions, it's about perfect.
Yeah, that connection to all those other movies we've seen (and specifically the RDJ/Stark relationship) does give a boost to Holland's flicks. Great point.
Whos Juan
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

There was a run in the comics where Doc Ock possesses Spiderman's body (comics are weird) and he realizes Spiderman had been pulling his punches the entire time.
The Porkchop Express
Whos Juan said:

There was a run in the comics where Doc Ock possesses Spiderman's body (comics are weird) and he realizes Spiderman had been pulling his punches the entire time.
Superheroes holding back is lame.

I remember TC and I talking about how ridiculous it was to have Superman fight Batman with Superman having to hold back like 99.9% of his powers.
Otherwise,it's "Batman jumps into the Batmobile and drives full speed at Superman. Superman picks up the Batmobile with one hand and throws it into the Pacific Ocean."
Whos Juan
AG

Whos Juan said:

I remember TC and I talking about how ridiculous it was to have Superman fight Batman with Superman having to hold back like 99.9% of his powers.
Otherwise,it's "Batman jumps into the Batmobile and drives full speed at Superman. Superman picks up the Batmobile with one hand and throws it into the Pacific Ocean."
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Iowaggie said:

Carlo4 said:

Garfield… no.

Agree completely. Holland is my least favorite.
If his movies were the first I'd seen, I probably would prefer them to your point
CapCityAg89
AG
I hate hate hate the MCU Spider-Man suit. I just can't get past it.
jeffk
AG
Which one?
Deputy Travis Junior
C@LAg said:

I too have bad opinions.

Toby's 1 & 2 were great. 3 was so awful it made me like 1 & 2 less, and is one of the few movies that will diminish my opinion of you if I find out you liked it (along with Crystal Skull and maybe Ocean's 12. Never saw the last jedi but it would likely be in that category too).
maroon barchetta
Deputy Travis Junior said:

C@LAg said:

I too have bad opinions.

Toby's 1 & 2 were great. 3 was so awful it made me like 1 & 2 less, and is one of the few movies that will diminish my opinion of you if I find out you liked it (along with Crystal Skull and maybe Ocean's 12. Never saw the last jedi but it would likely be in that category too).

I'm pretty jealous of you.
MW03
AG
Best Spider-Man movies:

(1) Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
(2) Spider-Man 2
(3) Spider-Man: Homecoming
(4) Spider-Man
(5) Spider-Man: Far From Home
(6) Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
(7) Spider-Man: No Way Home
(8) The Amazing Spider-Man
(9) Spider-Man 3
(10) The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Best Peter Parker: Tom Holland (courtesy nod to the voice acting of Jake Johnson)
Best Spider-Man: Tom Holland (courtesy nod to the voice acting of Shameik Moore)
Best Mary Jane: Kirsten Dunst
Best Villain: Alferd Molina as Doc Ock (courtesy nod to voice acting of Liev Schreiber)
The Marksman
AG
MW03 said:

Best Spider-Man movies:

This, my friend, is the way
double aught
AG
Whos Juan said:

Whos Juan said:

God bless her, she tried.
bangobango
AG
MW03 said:

Best Spider-Man movies:

(2) Spider-Man 2
(3) Spider-Man: Homecoming
(4) Spider-Man
(5) Spider-Man: Far From Home
(6) Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
(7) Spider-Man: No Way Home
(8) The Amazing Spider-Man
(9) Spider-Man 3
(10) The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Best Peter Parker: Tom Holland (courtesy nod to the voice acting of Jake Johnson)
Best Spider-Man: Tom Holland (courtesy nod to the voice acting of Shameik Moore)
Best Mary Jane: Kirsten Dunst
Best Villain: Alferd Molina as Doc Ock (courtesy nod to voice acting of Liev Schreiber)
The Spider-Verse movies are so good. I'd actually put Across the Spider-Verse higher. Into the Spider-Verse, Spider-Man 2, Across the Spider-Verse, Homecoming, and Spider-Man would make up my five in some order I'm not going to try to parse out. As for the rest - who cares?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.