***Guitar or Music Focused YouTube Videos***

10,396 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by tk for tu juan
Lavender Gooms
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Love all these videos of guys hearing songs for the first time. Figured I'd add some piano stuff as I'm learning to play again. Crazy the amount of talent these people have.

maroon barchetta
Just watched the Rick Beato interview with Paul Gilbert. I was encouraged after a guy I played with a band with in high school was going through old photos last night and sent me some from after a Mr. Big show in Houston in '90 or '91.

One of the photos is me with Paul Gilbert. That was a fun night!

Watching interviews like this of these greats, I am more and more convinced that they all have some sort of ADHD. They can't stay on a subject for more than a minute. It was the same with the Nuno interview. Maybe worse.

I've seen it with others as well.

My theory is that these creative/artist types have so many ideas or melodies or just music they have memorized that they want to share with the interviewer that it's not possible to keep them all sorted and properly queued up. So stuff just slips out.

I noticed it when Paul was at Anderton's as well.

Rick was patient while interviewing but did try to go back to a couple of questions. It didn't seem to work.
62strat
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Watching interviews like this of these greats, I am more and more convinced that they all have some sort of ADHD. They can't stay on a subject for more than a minute. It was the same with the Nuno interview. Maybe worse.

You ever watch any Devin Townsend interviews? lol.

He's calmed down in his older age but anything from 2000s is a riot. He was off the charts sporadic and random. He's said many times he has bipolar.

In more recent interviews, he can articulate and verbalize what he's feeling/ thinking on a level that is way above my head.
maroon barchetta
62strat said:

maroon barchetta said:

You ever watch any Devin Townsend interviews? lol.

He's calmed down in his older age but anything from 2000s is a riot. He was off the charts sporadic and random. He's said many times he has bipolar.

In more recent interviews, he can articulate and verbalize what he's feeling/ thinking on a level that is way above my head.

I saw Rick's video with Devin, John Petrucci, and Tobin Abasi. Devin was a little out there.

In a "fewer words" and more soft spoken manner, Eric Johnson is that way. I think he's just on another plane than us mortals. Or maybe being a child of the 60's and 70's has caught up to him a bit.

I've had the good fortune to meet him a few times and he is incredibly nice but I seriously think he is on some other level.
tk for tu juan
Big Cat `93
AG
Lavender Gooms said:

Love all these videos of guys hearing songs for the first time. Figured I'd add some piano stuff as I'm learning to play again. Crazy the amount of talent these people have.
Just curious: what are doing to relearn piano? I took lessons in grade school and have been wanting to learn to play again for a while now. I can still read music and know where all the notes are on the keyboard. I know, I should take lessons again. I just want to rebuild a solid foundation in my head and my fingers before then.
DallasTeleAg
Learn a song. Then break down what you played and why it works. Then move on to the next song. Rinse and repeat.
tk for tu juan
First time hearing Primus? Somewhat

Lavender Gooms
AG
Big Cat `93 said:

Lavender Gooms said:

Just curious: what are doing to relearn piano? I took lessons in grade school and have been wanting to learn to play again for a while now. I can still read music and know where all the notes are on the keyboard. I know, I should take lessons again. I just want to rebuild a solid foundation in my head and my fingers before then.

Same here. Played from K-6th grade, then stopped as I got more involved in band in MS and HS. I started taking lessons again at the same time as our daughter did about a year ago. This kept me accountable with regularly practicing. I stopped lessons recently because of scheduling issues and she wasn't driving my learning like I was wanting.

Anyway, now I use Pianote. There's a bunch of free stuff they put out on YouTube to check out, but the library of resources they have through their online platform is phenomenal. $30/month if you pay monthly, $240 for a year if you pay up front. I got lucky and got a year for $150 for Black Friday. They do have a 7 day trial period as well. The musicians they use for their lessons are top notch in my opinion.

I can hack my way through easy songs still based on the little bit of skill that never left, but where Pianote really works is with learning theory, chords, inversions, etc that go along with songs. It helps me with feeling like a more rounded musician. I can improv over basic chord progressions, read chord charts, etc. This is stuff I never really got into when I first played.
Big Cat `93
AG
Awesome. I've looked at Pianote some but need to dive deeper. I'm glad to see that it's worth checking out. Thanks.

I still have some of my piano books. I also have a Hanon book and one of the Rudess books, but holy smokes. Not ready for that.
62strat
AG
Quote:

Same here. Played from K-6th grade, then stopped as I got more involved in band in MS and HS. I started taking lessons again at the same time as our daughter did about a year ago. This kept me accountable with regularly practicing. I stopped lessons recently because of scheduling issues and she wasn't driving my learning like I was wanting.

Anyway, now I use Pianote. There's a bunch of free stuff they put out on YouTube to check out, but the library of resources they have through their online platform is phenomenal. $30/month if you pay monthly, $240 for a year if you pay up front. I got lucky and got a year for $150 for Black Friday. They do have a 7 day trial period as well. The musicians they use for their lessons are top notch in my opinion.

I can hack my way through easy songs still based on the little bit of skill that never left, but where Pianote really works is with learning theory, chords, inversions, etc that go along with songs. It helps me with feeling like a more rounded musician. I can improv over basic chord progressions, read chord charts, etc. This is stuff I never really got into when I first played.

My mom was a private piano teacher for 40+ years, in our home, mid 70s through late teens.

Makes me wonder if that profession is slowly dying!

She peaked in the 90s with like 70 students weekly. if I remember it was like $80/mo for 4 lessons. Momma was bringing in some cash!
Lavender Gooms
AG
Probably like everything else it's location dependant. We live near a large city, but I work more rural so my lessons were close to work. We've got lots of friends who take some form of music lessons weekly in the city. Currently our daughter gets voice lessons weekly (she never got into piano, but loves singing and theater). Her voice teacher is so full she doesn't even have space for make up lessons. $50/week for 1 hour lessons.

Should also add we homeschool and the homeschool group and community I would say still have music as a big priority.
TequilaMockingbird
Brian Setzer is a badass (and proves you don't have to use a Telecaster to get twangy country tones)

G Martin 87
AG
Speaking of Brian Setzer, we saw Lee Rocker and his band in Marshall last night. Incredible show and meet-and-greet afterwards. Such a great guy and ambassador for classic rock n roll.

maroon barchetta
I always enjoy Tim Pierce videos. Lee Anderton asks him some good questions and Tim explains some things about being a studio musician in L.A.

tk for tu juan
Billy Joel's drummer learns Deftones.

tk for tu juan
tk for tu juan
DallasTeleAg
Love watching these. Chappers is always the proof I point to when people say, "No one can tell the difference between ________ and ________." It really is amazing how well he does on these blindfold challenges:

tk for tu juan
tk for tu juan
Then found this on the vocalist/bassist channel…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.