RIP Gordon Lightfoot

4,734 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Danger Mouse
LawHall88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Proposition Joe
Been listening for 20 minutes or so since Rolling Stone sent the breaking news email. Almost a shame Edmund Fitzgerald was such a classic because I veel it really took away from some of his other classics.

Carefree Highway is an absolute masterpiece.
beanbean
gggmann
AG
"If You Could Read My Mind" is one of my all time favs.

Rick Beato's breakdown is a must watch:

Also, there's a documentary of the same name on Amazon Prime that is a good watch too.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Sundown is always the first thing I think of when I hear the name Gordon Lightfoot.
beanbean
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald is probably the only song that makes me feel emotional.
tree91
AG
"The thing that I call living is just being satisfied that I've got no one left to blame. "

Hopefully, he had no one left to blame.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Truly one of the greats..RIP
Bonfired
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Sundown is always the first thing I think of when I hear the name Gordon Lightfoot.

One of the first songs I remember hearing on the radio as a kid. Whatever the musical arrangement was for it, that song stuck like Velcro in my head.

I can't think of a song of his that I don't like, and that's rare for me.
beanbean
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
One of the rare celeb deaths that genuinely hurts. He'd been sick for a long, long time but dammit you still can't prepare for news like this.
One of the greatest to ever do it.

Talent beyond comprehension.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
tree91 said:

"Now the thing that I call living is just being satisfied with knowing I've got no one left to blame. "

FIFY.

Many years/bans ago, that was my signature on this site.

The Kraken
AG
Oh man, always loved his style and voice, such great songs.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
barney94
AG
Been listening to him since I was 10 or so. RIP. Currently honoring.
Southlake
One of the few songwriter-performers who could paint a masterpiece of imagery with his music. Gordon's music brought a unique blend of melancholic reflection like so few. Thanks for the memories, Gordon, and rest in peace, kind sir!
agent-maroon
AG
Very few artists could move me to reflection every time I heard one of their songs. Gordon Lightfoot was one.

RIP
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Fall92
AG
Bonfired said:

Know Your Enemy said:

One of the first songs I remember hearing on the radio as a kid. Whatever the musical arrangement was for it, that song stuck like Velcro in my head.

I can't think of a song of his that I don't like, and that's rare for me.

Same here. One of my earliest memories as a 3-4 year old was sitting in the backseat of my mother's orange Datsun singing "every Highway". Carefree Highway is still one of my favorite songs.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Aggies76
AG
Canadian Railroad Trilogy
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
My Mount Rushmore of 70's singer/songwriters is John Denver, Gordon Lightfoot, Jim Croce, and Cat Stevens.
Hard to believe that only one of them is left. I'm not sure how much Cat Stevens tours these days given his religious conversion years ago. That stated, he's the last chance I'll have to ever see any of those guys perform live.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
barney94 said:

Been listening to him since I was 10 or so. RIP. Currently honoring.

Tell me Bryan Cranston isn't the runaway obvious choice to play him in the biopic!
Fall92
AG
$240 Worth of Pudding said:

My Mount Rushmore of 70's singer/songwriters is John Denver, Gordon Lightfoot, Jim Croce, and Cat Stevens.
Hard to believe that only one of them is left. I'm not sure how much Cat Stevens tours these days given his religious conversion years ago. That stated, he's the last chance I'll have to ever see any of those guys perform live.

Great list. Should add Harry Chapin to it.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
birdman
The Edmund Fitzgerald thread on the Mount Rushmore of Texags. Somebody will bump it every November.

I'm a giant Gordon Lightfoot fan. He is criminally underrated. I saw him in concert 4 or 5 times. He was still great in his 80s.

I put Dylan and the Beatles in special category. Gordon Lightfoot is solidly in the next level.

I threw together a quick Top 10 list. Lightfoot's list will match up with anybody. If you go deep and make it a top 50, his catalog will pass by nearly everybody else.

If You Could Read My Mind
Canadian Railroad Trilogy
Sundown
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Carefree Highway
Early Morning Rain
Did She Mention My Name
Beautiful
Minstrel of the Dawn
Christian Island
tree91
AG

tree91 said:

"Now the thing that I call living is just being satisfied with knowing I've got no one left to blame. "

FIFY.

Thanks for the correction. And good to meet you again, Dough.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
tree91 said:

tree91 said:

FIFY.

Thanks for the correction. And good to meet you again, Dough.

Haha!!
chick79
AG
Sad day. One of my favorites.
Aggies76
AG
Interesting fact. Sundown was written about the crazy woman that offed John Belushi.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Damn. RIP to a legend. That Beato vid on If You Could Read My Mind is definitely a must watch.
birdman
Beato is currently live streaming a tribute to Lightfoot.
maroon barchetta
birdman said:

Beato is currently live streaming a tribute to Lightfoot.

Thanks for this!!!
maroon barchetta
EllisCoAg
AG
one of favorites, had no idea he was so revered in the music industry and popular overall.
Leggo My Elko
AG
He's a major blindspot for me in my musical knowledge. If you had to give me one album to listen to first what would it be?
Aggies76
AG
I was blessed to see Lightfoot in concert 3 times. I saw him in the 70s in St Louis in a good sized concert hall. My favorite Lightfoot concert was in Nashville in the 80s in a small intimate theater where he had only 2 backup musicians. The last was in Lubbock after he had his stroke. His voice was very diminished by then but the crowd loved him.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Gord's Gold 1975
Aggies76
AG
TexjbA&M said:

He's a major blindspot for me in my musical knowledge. If you had to give me one album to listen to first what would it be?

The obvious answer is Gord's Gold from the mid 70s. It's a greatest hits compilation to that point in his career.

I'm looking for the original version of Canadian Railroad Trilogy (from the 60s) that has a different sound to it than the version on Gord's Gold.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.