*** THE MOVIE CRITIC *** (Quentin Tarantino's next/last?)

6,551 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Me in the theater watching this movie:

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Pushed to 2025...

Quote:

A couple of days ago, World of Reel's Jordan Ruimy reported that, after making some calls, it sounds like Quentin Tarantino's new/final film, The Movie Critic, may still be a ways off.

Production had been ready to go this fall, but the SAG-AFTRA strike "completely derailed" the film's momentum, according to World of Reel, and while an "early-to-mid 2024" production start is seen as the "best-case scenario," according to Ruimy, his source claims "they're not hurrying up or anything. QT is taking his time and he'll shoot it when it all comes together."

But is Tarantino really waiting for things to "come together" either creatively or financially, or is he perhaps distracted by the ongoing situation in Israel, where he lives with his wife and two small children? Any father with a young family would understandably be more focused on ensuring their safety than on making a movie.

There were also rumors that Tarantino was going to get the financing for this film either from or through his wife's wealthy, well-connected Israeli family, allowing him to make a distribution deal with a studio down the line. Whether or not that's true, it sounds like Tarantino would prefer to wait until things settle down a bit in Israel, as the situation no doubt hits close to home for the filmmaker.

A potential delay to next fall would also explain why rumored star Paul Walter Hauser is said to be in talks for a role in Trey Parker's untitled slavery comedy at Paramount. If you'll recall, Tarantino also delayed The Hateful Eight after the script leaked, waiting until he was good and ready. Expect the same here.

Patience is a virtue. The bigger question is whether we'll see more of Leonardo DiCaprio's Rick Dalton character from Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
TXAG 05
AG
Didn't know he lives in Israel. Figured he lived in some old obscure Hollywood directors house or something.
Mr. White
Has anyone heard when the 2nd season of the Video Archives Podcast is going to debut?

Will there be a 2nd season?
TCTTS
AG

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

"He's a great guy and we really hit it off. [A collaboration] could happen on something else."

That's a quote from Quentin Tarantino speaking about Tom Cruise on Josh Horowitz's HappySadConfused podcast back in 2019.

Tarantino was talking about how Cruise was one of the first actors he thought of for the role of Cliff Booth in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. The character was ultimately played by Brad Pitt, who won an Oscar for his performance.

I mention that quote today because… I'm now hearing that Tom Cruise is rearranging his schedule to accommodate a small role or cameo in Tarantino's final film, The Movie Critic.

I've been telling you that, if this indeed is Tarantino's final film, every single actor in Hollywood will offer themselves up on a platter and move heaven and earth to work with him because he's one of the greatest filmmakers in history.

Cruise is no exception, and sources tell me he's going to try and make it work either around or following reshoots for Mission: Impossible 8, which is expected to keep the high-flying actor-producer busy for most of the year.

That part of the rumor has me wondering if the latest Mission sequel is being significantly retooled now that it's not going by the Dead Reckoning Part Two moniker.

But that's not what this story is about. The idea of Cruise working with Tarantino is a tantalizing possibility, so here's hoping it comes to fruition, as there are still plenty of details to hash out, including distribution.

Stay tuned…
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
**** yeah. This is exactly the collaboration I'd been hoping to see before QT retires.

And a nice little Interview With The Vampire reunion.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, calling my shot. If this happens, Cruise wins his first Oscar for this movie.
TCTTS
AG
Right now it sounds like it might just be a glorified cameo, or on par with, say, Pacino's role in OUATIH, but we'll see. Hopefully it's more significant.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Damn, probably should've read the text. Was thinking main character.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
If the script he wrote simply didn't live up to his own expectations, that's one thing.

But if the script is good (which is surely is, considering the talent involved), and doesn't live up to the arbitrary standard he's setting as his "tenth and final film," that's another thing.

Just make movies!

Ten is only a number! It doesn't actually mean anything!

Make The Movie Critic and then say the eleventh movie is your last one!

No matter what he does from here on out, Tarantino's legacy is cemented. Him fretting over the exact number of films in his legacy is just about the most asinine thing I can imagine.

He's become a prisoner of the very thing he worships.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just came here to post this. Sucks.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I wish he just walked back the dumb rule he made up in the first place so that he didn't feel the need to cancel a movie he feels is unworthy to be his last.

I'd much rather get this, Kill Bill Vol 3, his Star Trek thing, and whatever else he wants to do, rather than his perfect masterpiece that ultimately may come a decade down the line.
Cliff.Booth
He already left us his last masterpiece.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed. Just wish he felt more free to have some fun and put stuff out even if he feels it's not gonna be his best work.

But he seems really protective about not "watering down" his filmography like what's happened to Scorsese and Spielberg.

I say screw it, take some swings. Not all will land, but they'll all be interesting, that's for sure.
Sex Panther
AG
The ten thing has always been so dumb and you can just see Tarantino thinking it was brilliant... and yeah if this is going to cause him to stress about making a perfect final movie, causing him to shelf potential projects, then he's doing himself and the world a giant disservice
double aught
AG
This topic always sounded like a bit of a snoozer to me anyway.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
I don't know I was pretty excited about a movie about.... a movie critic... starring a borderline B list actor.

Maybe we dodged a bullet and he realized it.
TCTTS
AG
… along with Brad Pitt… and Tom Cruise… and whoever else he was going to land…
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brad Pitt is B-list??
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh you meant Stingray probably. Totally forgot he was cast.

I agree that was odd casting.
Sex Panther
AG
double aught said:

This topic always sounded like a bit of a snoozer to me anyway.

I admit that was my first reaction too… but I also thought that when I initially heard about Once Upon a Time In Hollywood
TCTTS
AG
So it sounds like The Movie Critic had morphed into a Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood sequel we'll now never see. Probably for the better. Still, I don't care what the story would have been, just hanging out with a couple of those characters again would have been incredible...

Quote:

On Wednesday, Quentin Tarantino shocked all of Hollywood with his decision to go back to the drawing board for his next film rather than move forward with The Movie Critic, which had been slated to star Brad Pitt.

"He simply changed his mind," reported Deadline, which confirmed what I'd been hearing about Sony being in pole position for the project, having done a bang-up job with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. The trade also acknowledged that "many" cast members from Tarantino's past films were expected to take part in The Movie Critic, which had even received a $20 million tax credit from the state of California.

So where did it all go wrong?

Well, it all comes back to Tarantino's heavily publicized plan to retire after his 10th feature, which is based on the director's controversial theory that filmmakers lose a step in their twilight years, for which he has other kinds of projects planned.

I spoke to multiple insiders on Wednesday night, with one explaining that Tarantino didn't think his script for The Movie Critic was strong enough to serve as his swan song.

"He's being super picky and gun-shy about what this next movie is," said one source.

Another suggested that Tarantino was suffering from "genius syndrome, where you're stuck in your own head."

Indeed, when you consider all the casting rumors since this project was first announced and then read between the lines of Deadline's story, it sounds like Tarantino never really had a firm handle on the movie he wanted to make.

Rather than try and force it, he decided to start all over and tell a different story altogether.
Think about it…

When THR first announced The Movie Critic in March 2023, the trade said the film would have "a female lead at its center." Now, maybe the protagonist was originally supposed to be a woman, and maybe it wasn't, but it wasn't long before Tarantino started describing his titular critic as a man in his 30s, and I began to hear Paul Walter Hauser's name in connection with the project.

After months of those rumors, Deadline announced that Pitt was in talks to star, but even then, there was some debate as to whether he'd be playing the title character or a supporting part… and whether he'd be reprising his Oscar-winning role as Cliff Booth from Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Tarantino then got to work on rewriting the script to make it more suitable for Pitt. And yet, whenever I checked in on the Sony talk over the past several weeks, it sounded as though the trail had abruptly gone cold, leaving some at the studio scratching their heads.

It wasn't until Wednesday that Tarantino officially pulled the plug on The Movie Critic, and I heard that Pitt himself only found out a few hours before the news surfaced online.

Shortly after Deadline broke the news today, THR was ready with its own story confirming that Pitt was, in fact, going to play Cliff Booth - and that following Tarantino's latest rewrite, the project morphed from The Movie Critic into more of a follow-up to OUATIH, though whether it would've been a prequel or sequel remains unclear.

My understanding is that wherever Cliff is… his best friend Rick Dalton isn't far. Though I'm not sure things ever got to that point, and it's all moot now anyway.

Tarantino is officially moving on, and The Movie Critic joins a long list of projects he has announced, only to abandon.

Of course, Tarantino has issued empty threats to walk away from projects in the past, such as the time he said he was going to drop The Hateful Eight after his script was leaked online.
But that was a temper tantrum fueled by anger. This time, it feels like he means it, for actions speak louder than words.

Rather than make a mediocre movie he wasn't 100 percent confident in, Tarantino chose to walk away and refocus. And just because the trades found out about The Movie Critica year ago doesn't mean he's beholden to us to follow through with it if he doesn't feel he has cracked it creatively - especially if it really is going to be his final film.

That said, I do fear that Quentin is putting too much pressure on himself to leave behind the perfect filmography. It's okay to try something and fail - even the best artists do it. Just ask Paul Thomas Anderson and David Fincher.
Prosperdick
AG
TCTTS said:

So it sounds like The Movie Critic had morphed into a Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood sequel we'll now never see. Probably for the better. Still, I don't care what the story would have been, just hanging out with a couple of those characters again would have been incredible...

Quote:

On Wednesday, Quentin Tarantino shocked all of Hollywood with his decision to go back to the drawing board for his next film rather than move forward with The Movie Critic, which had been slated to star Brad Pitt.

"He simply changed his mind," reported Deadline, which confirmed what I'd been hearing about Sony being in pole position for the project, having done a bang-up job with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. The trade also acknowledged that "many" cast members from Tarantino's past films were expected to take part in The Movie Critic, which had even received a $20 million tax credit from the state of California.

So where did it all go wrong?

Well, it all comes back to Tarantino's heavily publicized plan to retire after his 10th feature, which is based on the director's controversial theory that filmmakers lose a step in their twilight years, for which he has other kinds of projects planned.

I spoke to multiple insiders on Wednesday night, with one explaining that Tarantino didn't think his script for The Movie Critic was strong enough to serve as his swan song.

"He's being super picky and gun-shy about what this next movie is," said one source.

Another suggested that Tarantino was suffering from "genius syndrome, where you're stuck in your own head."

Indeed, when you consider all the casting rumors since this project was first announced and then read between the lines of Deadline's story, it sounds like Tarantino never really had a firm handle on the movie he wanted to make.

Rather than try and force it, he decided to start all over and tell a different story altogether.
Think about it…

When THR first announced The Movie Critic in March 2023, the trade said the film would have "a female lead at its center." Now, maybe the protagonist was originally supposed to be a woman, and maybe it wasn't, but it wasn't long before Tarantino started describing his titular critic as a man in his 30s, and I began to hear Paul Walter Hauser's name in connection with the project.

After months of those rumors, Deadline announced that Pitt was in talks to star, but even then, there was some debate as to whether he'd be playing the title character or a supporting part… and whether he'd be reprising his Oscar-winning role as Cliff Booth from Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Tarantino then got to work on rewriting the script to make it more suitable for Pitt. And yet, whenever I checked in on the Sony talk over the past several weeks, it sounded as though the trail had abruptly gone cold, leaving some at the studio scratching their heads.

It wasn't until Wednesday that Tarantino officially pulled the plug on The Movie Critic, and I heard that Pitt himself only found out a few hours before the news surfaced online.

Shortly after Deadline broke the news today, THR was ready with its own story confirming that Pitt was, in fact, going to play Cliff Booth - and that following Tarantino's latest rewrite, the project morphed from The Movie Critic into more of a follow-up to OUATIH, though whether it would've been a prequel or sequel remains unclear.

My understanding is that wherever Cliff is… his best friend Rick Dalton isn't far. Though I'm not sure things ever got to that point, and it's all moot now anyway.

Tarantino is officially moving on, and The Movie Critic joins a long list of projects he has announced, only to abandon.

Of course, Tarantino has issued empty threats to walk away from projects in the past, such as the time he said he was going to drop The Hateful Eight after his script was leaked online.
But that was a temper tantrum fueled by anger. This time, it feels like he means it, for actions speak louder than words.

Rather than make a mediocre movie he wasn't 100 percent confident in, Tarantino chose to walk away and refocus. And just because the trades found out about The Movie Critica year ago doesn't mean he's beholden to us to follow through with it if he doesn't feel he has cracked it creatively - especially if it really is going to be his final film.

That said, I do fear that Quentin is putting too much pressure on himself to leave behind the perfect filmography. It's okay to try something and fail - even the best artists do it. Just ask Paul Thomas Anderson and David Fincher.

He should make the movie, call it Twice Upon a Time...in Hollywood, so it's technically not his 10th film, just a "part 2" like he doesn't count Kill Bill as two movies. That way if he's satisifed with it he can call it his 10th but if not he's got an out for another "final" film.
TCTTS
AG
Genius.
Bruce Almighty
AG
His last movie needs to be Jules wondering the Earth and getting into adventures.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If we're using these loopholes, we can also get Kill Bill Vol 3.
Prosperdick
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

If we're using these loopholes, we can also get Kill Bill Vol 3.

Don't think I didn't think about that when I was posting it.
TCTTS
AG
Some interesting tidbits in here...

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.