Physical: 100 - Netflix

4,788 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
aggierogue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else watching? Reality show pitting athletes and Korean stars against each other in a survival competition. I binged all 8 episodes today and looking forward to the finale Tuesday.
CondensedFogAggie
There is no way in hell this show as is would have been greenlit in the US with all the liability concerns. Especially with the second challenge where you're basically bare hand wrestling with no divide between weight classes. Can anyone say joint injuries and rib fractures?

That being said, yes it's a lot of fun, and no doubt there's gonna be a US version soon.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Yes, there were a couple of us posting in the "what did you watch last night" thread a few weeks ago.

Agreed on the safety issues. I just can't imagine Lebron James wrestling Gronk next to a two foot tall metal grate.

What's your favorite challenge so far?
aggierogue
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Yes, there were a couple of us posting in the "what did you watch last night" thread a few weeks ago.

Agreed on the safety issues. I just can't imagine Lebron James wrestling Gronk next to a two foot tall metal grate.

Obviously the best one is the one-on-one challenge with the ball. But I thought the 5 Greek named challenges were pretty cool as well.

It's amazing how different the "stars" of Korea are compared to the US. I watched "Sexyama" in the UFC, and while he's one of their biggest stars and a legend in Korea, he's not even near the same level as many of our sports athletes. Don't care about having guys like James or NFL stars honestly.

I just like anything that puts people against each other in an athletic type challenge.

This show is like a mix of American Gladiators, Ultimate Ninja Warrior, and Survivor.

What I think I liked most about it was the absence of all the woke politics. That stuff has ruined Survivor for me. I'm sure once this takes off, they will use it to carry the woke torch as well. There are already US media outlets shaming the guy who chose the woman and dominated her.
aggierogue
AG
Btw, Yun Sung-bin's standing "box/mat" jump scene was a lot of fun. Show is great.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
The level of respect and decency that they show towards one another is amazing and is part of the reason I like the show so much. I hope that when they inevitably make the US version they can try to replicate that, although probably impossible knowing American personalities.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Madmarttigan
AG
I think the last challenges where each person got to select something that was more up their alley were the best ones since the initial ball challenge. The team stuff kind of took out some strong players and I don't think shows which individual physiques are better which seemed to be the premise of the show. Also how they set up the teams and got to select their opponents seemed to not really be fair. I think making challenges based on body weight like holding the rope on the saving challenge was a good one as well.

Really curious to see who keeps the ball rolling in the next episode. Was nutty they held that boulder up for like two hours.
Formerly tv1113
aggierogue
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

The level of respect and decency that they show towards one another is amazing and is part of the reason I like the show so much. I hope that when they inevitably make the US version they can try to replicate that, although probably impossible knowing American personalities.

Couldn't agree more.
MookieBlaylock
AG
We like it but we find it funny that they had men raslin for a ball vs women

We would like to see an American version called American Gladiators
jograki
AG
I've really enjoyed watching it week by week as they released 2 episodes at a time. Despite having to wait on a cliffhanger, it's been fun reading the discussion threads on Reddit. I also agree that the respect and humility they embody is refreshing, I wonder how that might look in a US version.
jograki
AG
Madmarttigan said:

I think the last challenges where each person got to select something that was more up their alley were the best ones since the initial ball challenge. The team stuff kind of took out some strong players and I don't think shows which individual physiques are better which seemed to be the premise of the show. Also how they set up the teams and got to select their opponents seemed to not really be fair. I think making challenges based on body weight like holding the rope on the saving challenge was a good one as well.

Really curious to see who keeps the ball rolling in the next episode. Was nutty they held that boulder up for like two hours.
I completely agree. It's unfortunate the way they set up the teams, would've liked seeing the team leads choose one at a time for potentially more parity across the groups.
Clavell
AG
Enjoyed it, but did find myself fast forwarding during repeat competitions (i.e., how many times need to watch a ship pulled or sand carried). That is why liked last episode to pick finalist best since each competition only once.
astros4545
AG
Do they have human interest stories in between the competition

That's why I didn't watch, I get tired of 70% of these programs being human interest backstory and not events
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Almost zero human backstory, much more like a reality tv show with confessionals of them reacting to what's happening vs some anchor talking endlessly about them.
CondensedFogAggie
Clavell said:

Enjoyed it, but did find myself fast forwarding during repeat competitions (i.e., how many times need to watch a ship pulled or sand carried). That is why liked last episode to pick finalist best since each competition only once.

The ship pull was actually interesting.

That meathead muscle group was so confident and narrowly focused in on their strength advantage, that they just brute forced their way through the exercise using the most inefficient physics possible. They didn't even think of an alternative.

Unexpected reminder that your greatest strength can be your greatest weakness.
Clavell
AG
Only background was what sport they were from (I.e., MMA, wrestling, body builder, luger, mountain rescue, etc)
Finally some discussion on this board about the show. I find it addicting. Such a great reality tv show. Looking forward the the finale
jograki
AG
No backstories or sob stories...to the point that I'm so interested in them and have been creeping all over some of their Instagrams to know more about them haha.

Another thing I found interesting is they referred to some people by a somewhat irrelevant occupation, like Jo Jin-hyeong the car dealer. But then we later find out through his convos that he won a strong man competition and you can see that advantage at a certain point.
aggierogue
AG
astros4545 said:

Do they have human interest stories in between the competition

That's why I didn't watch, I get tired of 70% of these programs being human interest backstory and not events

One of the best parts about it is that it doesn't do that BS. Almost like there isn't an agenda to push narratives.

Also refreshing to hear them unafraid to praise masculinity while also showing some very powerful women. The female wrestler who ended up chosen last as the tenth leader was impressive.
PatAg
AG
This show has throwback SpikeTV vibes.
Need more shows to do less sob stories every 5 seconds and more mindless action. THere is a place for it.
PatAg
AG
aggierogue said:

Definitely Not A Cop said:

Obviously the best one is the one-on-one challenge with the ball. But I thought the 5 Greek named challenges were pretty cool as well.

It's amazing how different the "stars" of Korea are compared to the US. I watched "Sexyama" in the UFC, and while he's one of their biggest stars and a legend in Korea, he's not even near the same level as many of our sports athletes. Don't care about having guys like James or NFL stars honestly.

I just like anything that puts people against each other in an athletic type challenge.

This show is like a mix of American Gladiators, Ultimate Ninja Warrior, and Survivor.

What I think I liked most about it was the absence of all the woke politics. That stuff has ruined Survivor for me. I'm sure once this takes off, they will use it to carry the woke torch as well. There are already US media outlets shaming the guy who chose the woman and dominated her.
Unfortunately I think we already know how an American version of Physical 100 would go based on how they butchered Ninja Warrior.
MAYBE if Netflix makes it happen, and not abc/nbc/fox garbage, they could replicate it but with Americans.
AlaskanAg99
AG
The last episode full of punishments was exactly that. Pretty grueling endurance tests. Sisyphus Pinishment rolling a 220lbs rock uphill def wore them out, same with the 110lbs Atlas lift.
aTm '99
aznaggiegirl07
AG
as a Korean, i'm so glad stuff like this is becoming more mainstream.

BallerStaf2003
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

I was talking about this with a friend today. What is it about their culture that they are so respectful of each other and so accountable with themselves, and we as a culture are so toxic and negative?
Enzo The Baker
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

I was talking about this with a friend today. What is it about their culture that they are so respectful of each other and so accountable with themselves, and we as a culture are so toxic and negative?

I think it boils down to collectivism (Korea) vs individualism (US). But there are pluses and minuses to both. There can be toxicity anywhere.

I am loving this show. I don't think the formula would work for a US show though.
Max Power
AG
I've watched a few episodes and it's pretty enjoyable. Agree it's kind of neat to see everyone being respectful, American shows want to ramp up the drama, can't imagine them wanting something similar. It's been interesting to watch the strategy when selecting opponents. Some looked for an even match, some looking for a mismatch, even watching men pick women and women pick men is different from what we'd expect to see here.

One thing I picked up, don't choose a wrestler as your opponent, you will lose.
CondensedFogAggie
BallerStaf2003 said:

Honestly probably just the show producers preference and editing.

If you made a US version filled with ex Navy Seals, Olympians, strongman competition winners, ex NFL players, free solo climbers and even successful crossfit youtubers, everyone would show each other respect as fellow athletes.

Especially if the showrunners tell them we're going for that camaraderie vibe.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
It reminds me of the Great British Baking Challenge in regards to how nice they are.

It might just boil down to Americans are aholes.

Or at least the show runners think Americans want drama, so they encourage them to be aholes.
jograki
AG
CondensedFogAggie said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

Honestly probably just the show producers preference and editing.

If you made a US version filled with ex Navy Seals, Olympians, strongman competition winners, ex NFL players, free solo climbers and even successful crossfit youtubers, everyone would show each other respect as fellow athletes.

Especially if the showrunners tell them we're going for that camaraderie vibe.
I agree, I'm sure being top level competitors they understand the importance of showcasing sportsmanship well. I would hope Americans in top roles would do the same. You never want to burn bridges in those small and niche fitness communities. I heard the guy who chose that jacked body building lady for the 1v1 got so much negativity on social media since he was coming off completely disrespectful, walking around with his hands in his pocket. I think Americans would find that rude and cringey too if someone representing us did that too.

MW03
AG
It's a pretty awesome watch. The respect and love they ask show one another is amazing. Also, there's one woman on that show that I would turn my life upside down for.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
ya'll happy with the winner?
Madmarttigan
AG
He was kind of unassuming and someone I barely even remember throughout the competition.

I was really surprised he won the last challenge the cyclist guy was really strong.
Formerly tv1113
jograki
AG
He's who I picked out of the 4. Pretty happy! I feel like he worked extra hard to get there.
jograki
AG
aznaggiegirl07 said:

as a Korean, i'm so glad stuff like this is becoming more mainstream.

Agree! My dad grew up in Korea and has always been athletic. We watched the first ep together and that was fun. Nice to see more representation than small K-Pop guys.
PatAg
AG
It was pretty interesting seeing which sort of body types, or activities they focused in, advance/get knocked out.

I really think we COULD make this show in america, it would just require the show runner to have the conviction to do it instead of going the full-on drama route.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.