Series Finales: Best, Worst and Otherwise

4,965 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by maroon barchetta
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

I guess people just ignore that last 9th season of Scrubs? Seems like a good strategy.

Man in the High Castle had a pretty terrible ending. Writer's wrote themselves into a corner they couldn't get out of.

Clone Wars hit me in the feels, big time. It's right up there with Breaking Bad and The Americans for me.

Yeah, if we can ignore seasons then suddenly GoT is in the best finales category with the S6 finale.
jeffk
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

I guess people just ignore that last 9th season of Scrubs? Seems like a good strategy.

The last season was basically a different show. A spin-off for all intensive porpoises.
powerbelly
AG
To me the 9th season is a spin-off and a different show.
DallasTeleAg
powerbelly said:

To me the 9th season is a spin-off and a different show.
100%

It is not "Scrubs".
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Why isn't it Scrubs? Was it all new characters?

(Haven't seen the show.)
jeffk
AG
They held over a few key characters but shifted the focus to a whole new group of interns. It wasn't great.
CubbieAggie
AG
jeffk said:

They held over a few key characters but shifted the focus to a whole new group of interns. It wasn't great.
Yeah, they moved the entire show from the original Sacred Heart to a med school where Cox and Turk were teachers. They were the only two from the old cast that were regulars on the new show with others guest appearing. The focus was on the med school students.

Even Bill Lawrence treats it as a spin-off:
Quote:

Lawrence considered the eighth season to be the end of the show Scrubs, going so far as to ask ABC if he could change the name to Scrubs Med.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrubs_(season_9)#cite_note-nj.com-7][7][/url] ABC declined, but Lawrence still advised fans to treat it as a new show, even putting a caption under the "Created By" on the X-ray in the opening sequence saying [Med School].
DallasTeleAg
Brian Earl Spilner said:

(Haven't seen the show.)
Because they ended the show and everything in Season 8, then started a new season in a completely different setting of med school. They brought back Zach Braff for a few episodes but focused on a brand new cast of characters with Turk and Dr. Cox being teachers.

Everything about it screamed "Spinoff", but they just kept the same name... and it was trash. Bill Lawrence only did it because Season 8 was so good so he got a green light and he wanted to employee the team for another year.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Interesting. I wasn't aware that Lawrence had tried to classify it as a spin-off and ABC denied it up front.

I always had a vibe that it was a considered a spin-off more after it bombed on ABC, which seemed like cheating to me. I never much considered season 9 part of the show personally, but felt like that took away from the S8 finale. But that puts it in new light.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I remember reading about it before it aired that it was basically a spinoff. And it was pretty much doomed from the start but Lawrence was more thinking to keep people employed than for his own creative vision... which mad props for that. There's an interview with Dr cox that is on YouTube that shines some light on the situation. Really enjoyable watch, actually.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

(Haven't seen the show.)
AgBlitz
AG
Best Nominee: Six Feet Under
YouBet
AG
Six Feet Under still sticks with me as the best finale I've seen and that show is pretty old now. It was fantastic.

More recently I would go with Star Wars Clone Wars whose final arc is some of the best SW content ever made.

And The Americans is up there too.
PWR85
AG
I've never watched Six Feet Under or the Americans. Based on this thread, now I will. Thanks!
AustinAg2K
A lot of people hate on the Seinfeld and Lost finales. I don't think either were great, but both shows were in a positions where there was no way they could live up to the expectations. I think those finales are fine. Not great, but not terrible. They don't ruin the entire show...

HIMYM and GOT, are a different story. I have trouble watching those shows now. The finales (entire finale season for GOT) were so bad they basically ruined rewatching any episodes.
maroon barchetta
Julia disagrees with your assessment of the Seinfeld finale.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.