Series Finales: Best, Worst and Otherwise

5,018 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by maroon barchetta
Txmoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been thinking about series finales lately for some unknown reason. Thought I'd share my opinions here to start a discussion.

Best (OG): The Mary Tyler Moore Show - Before it was even a thing, TMTMS went out with a finale that was sad, funny, heartwarming and seemed appropriate for the news business. Bonus for them deciding that Ted Baxter (the series' untalented punching bag) was the only character not fired.

Best (modern day): Breaking Bad - The gold standard. Creators managed to tie almost everything up in a very satisfying way. With the exception of Marie, we knew the fates of the remaining main characters. FWIW, I was okay with the open-ended fates of Jessie and Saul (more on that later).

Best Non-finale: Everybody Loves Raymond - Last scene was the entire cast sitting around the kitchen table eating (weirdly all on the same side ala the Last Supper). Great decision by creators who knew show would live on in syndication to not change anything. I actually wish more sitcoms would make this decision, unless they have a good resolution.

Worst Finale: How I Met Your Mother - A popular opinion. As a friend of mine said, the finale changes how you watch the entire series, and not in a good way. I think the creators underestimated how much fans would like Cristin Milioti as the 'mother', and Barney and Robin being together.

Much Ado About Nothing Finale: Seinfeld - A lot of people hated this finale and I didn't particularly like it. But I think it just fell flat, much like the entire last season.

Finale That Is Growing On Me: The Sopranos - I didn't like the fade to black when it aired but I've changed my mind over time. Understanding that the creators meant to imply that the fade is the moment Tony got hit seems pretty genius. I'd rather not see that acted out, plus it left it open for other possibilities. RIP James Gandolfini.

Most Personally Disappointing Finale: Better Call Saul - I know this won't be popular. While BCS was an enjoyable series overall, I hated how they ended Saul's character arc. In a similar fashion to HIMYM, the finale of BCS changes how you watch Breaking Bad. BB was high drama with many episodes ending in cliffhangers, and Saul was the comedy relief. You always felt happy when Saul showed up. Now I know he's the sad clown who will botch his own escape and end up in prison. Much like El Camino, I was happier with the ending I made up in my head than the one shown to me by the creators.

TL;DR - I watch too much television.
BadMoonRisin
AG
I agree with BB as best, HIMYM as really bad.

Dexter is up there though, although the show really really took a dive after season 3 or 4 (or whatever the season with John Lithgow was) after the Showrunner left to do Nurse Jackie.
CapCityAg89
AG
Goodbye, Farewell and Amen.

[end of thread]

Know Your Enemy
AG
Seinfeld finale was awful.

Cheers finale was pretty damn good.
CapCityAg89
AG
Close second ...

"I was an innkeeper in this crazy little town in Vermont"
The Porkchop Express
In hindsight, the Seinfeld episode is pretty good satire for most series finales - every guest star in the world shows up for this huge three-ring circus but the show ends with Jerry and George having a rehash of their first conversation on the first episode; plus Jerry doing standup in the prison block is pretty fantastic after the credits.

My favorite series finales have been The Shield and Battlestar Galactica (2004-reimiagining).

bluefire579
AG
The Shield's finale is fantastic. I also felt that Futurama's two finales were each fantastic bookends, even if both were rendered null by separate resurrections of the series.

Game of Thrones will definitely get mentioned as a bad one in here (though I'd argue it was the rushed final season, omitted plotlines, and questionable narrative choices that ruined it more than the episode itself).
powerbelly
AG
Scrubs had a great finale.
TXAG 05
AG
King of the Hill was great. Hank is finally proud of Bobby and ends with everyone coming over for a bbq.

The Office was pretty good too.

Unpopular opinion, but I think the Breaking Bad finale is overrated.
chase128
AG
I enjoyed the series finale of Justified. Crowder's line at the end: "We dug coal together" was good.
gggmann
AG
Newhart
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
My Personal Favorites and Opinions:

In the discussion for Best: Cheers, Breaking Bad

Honorable Mention: Friends

Disclaimer: I have not seen Mash, Mary Tyler Moore

In the discussion for Worst : Dallas (I think its this by a mile over any other show, it was just so so awful), How I Met Your Mother, Roseanne

Other discussion points: On the Sopranos, I never hated that ending. I didn't think it was great, but I was ok with it and kind of indifferent to it. The Seinfeld one, I didn't like, but I also could see a Larry David type influence on that ending and found it kind of funny. I didn't care for the Dexter or GoT endings, but I cannot put those up to being as bad as Dallas, HIMYM, or Roseanne. Those 3 are just so so bad it's unfair to put any show in their category with them.
jeffk
AG
Justified, FNL, and Scrubs are three of my favorites.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Best: The Wire, The Americans, Newhart, Futurama

Worst: Seinfeld, GoT, BSG, Dexter
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Best: Malcolm in the Middle
Aggie_Journalist
AG
The Clone Wars finale, Victory or Death, was a perfect end to that show

Final scene below (spoilers)

Thanks and gig'em
Iowaggie
AG
I remember watching the finale of The Wonder Years, and when Kevin mentioned what happened between Winnie and he, it was like a swift kick in the gut, but I thought that was a pretty good finale because things never turn out the way you plan was somewhat a theme of that show.

The problem with it as I remember, is that they had to do most the wrap-up as voice over because they weren't sure if the show was going to return. It was a good time to end the series.

88planoAg
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Close second ...

Hands down the best.
rhutton125
AG
I enjoyed the Chuck finale a lot. It's somewhat controversial but given the final season we got, it's a great way to end it.
DallasTeleAg
My favorite finale of my favorite sitcoms is definitely Scrubs. So perfectly done and gave me everything I wanted to see. And then it was over. 8 Seasons. That is all the Scrubs that exists. There is nothing else.

How I Met Your Mother's finale was bull***** I have the series on my media server, and I only ripped the alternate ending instead of the one from the broadcast. The only good episode in that final season was the episode centered around the mother.

I also always liked the finale from That 70's Show. The last couple of seasons were pretty lackluster, but I loved the finale. This last scene is fantastic. I love the recurring conversation about the car that runs on water.

aznaggiegirl07
AG
i heard Lost was pretty bad
Rule Number 32
AG
Hit the nail on the head with HIMYM. I LOVED that show for the vast majority of it. Then the finale happened, and like you said, it literally changed everything about the show. It was weird and out of place. I refuse to watch re-runs of it, because it just pisses me off.

Best for me - Cheers. Came home a few years ago to my wife watching it on netflix and wondered why. We both binged the whole series over the next couple of weeks and it is literally one of my favorite shows now. There are so many episodes that you can tell were the basis or inspiration for other popular shows (looking at you, Friends, and your blatant rip-off of several episodes!). Such an awesome finale for such a great show.
CrystalLakeAgbu
Breaking Bad was very good

Tied for worst that I have watched are Lost and Game of Thrones. Both were amazing series that were tarnished because of the finale.
ABATTBQ11
AG
aznaggiegirl07 said:

This was my immediate thought for worst. That show took so many turns, and the ending was so convoluted and left so many unanswered questions.
An L of an Ag
AG
Good thread idea! Agree with most of these posts, especially how underwhelming and/or downright terrible the finales were for HIMYM and Seinfeld.

MASH and Cheers were the gold standard for me. Magnum PI was another really good one.

As for the "Unending" ending, Stargate SG1 literally named their final episode that to wrap up the 10th and final season. And yeah, I kinda wish that they had stuck with the original plan and ended the series with season 8, as it's finale was one of my favorite episodes of any show.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
aznaggiegirl07 said:

This is my vote for most underrated and most misunderstood finale.

I watched it with a group of huge Lost fans and we all loved it.

On a rewatch of the whole series, I loved it even more and it hit that much harder.

About as perfect a finale as anyone could've hoped for, imho.
Big Al 1992
AG
Best - Friday Night Lights, Cheers

MROD92
I switched professions a few years ago, allowing me more time at home. Prior to that we never had time to watch tv, so binging older shows it's all new to us. Last year the wife and I watched HIMYM, no idea re the ending. After the finale, we were both so mad what once was an enjoyable series to us can never be referenced again
MRod92
The Porkchop Express
powerbelly said:

Scrubs had a great finale.
I get it why some series end with a death or a tragedy or a "it didn't work out", but as I get older, I find that what I really want is the idea that my favorite characters wind up happy and joyful and together. The Scrubs finale works on a lot of levels, especially letting the cast members share their emotions for one another in the future montage.

powerbelly
AG
Never has three minutes of tv had me go from crying to laughing to crying like scrubs.
NoahAg
For a show people love to hate Big Bang Theory had a really good finale.
Let's go, Brandon!
maroon barchetta
Magnum P.I. was pretty good.
Madmarttigan
AG
Agree
wangus12
AG
Scrubs finale was outstanding
CapCityAg89
AG
88planoAg said:

CapCityAg89 said:

Close second ...

Hands down the best.

Normally I'd agree with you but I'm not sure there was event like the finally of MASH where everything was just so satisfying. We had a whole group from school together for it and half the country watched. And then it was really really good.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.