Stutz - Jonah Hill Doc

3,421 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by bonfarr
Ziggy Sobotka
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just watched it with my wife and we both loved it. I found it to be a very poignant and real film. I also think it will be very helpful for those who may be I retested in therapy but have never taken steps to explore it in real life. I highly recommend it.

Anyone else seen it?
maroon barchetta
Never heard of it.
Ziggy Sobotka
AG
Just dropped on Netflix.
TresPuertas
AG
it's at 100% on RT and I almost pulled the trigger last night, but i really wasn't sure i wanted to get into such heavy subject matter.

can you give a synopsis of what it's about and why it's so good?
Ziggy Sobotka
AG
So it's a simple film of two men having a conversation. Jonah the patient and Stutz the therapist. Jonah turns the tables on Stutz in a lot of the film and asks him questions about his life and also gets into some of the things in his life that they have been going over in their therapy sessions.

The admiration they have for each other is very apparent and the process that he uses in therapy is covered.
LMCane
will check it out

I assume this is related to Hill's public decision to drop out of public view?

interesting career choice he made if he doesn't like to be around people
Nom de Plume
AG
Good watch.
LouisHerbertWong
AG
I foresaw the "big reveal" regarding the timeline. Interesting and unique perspective overall, but nothing too gripping. Stutz seems like a cool dude.
Know Your Enemy
AG
It was interesting. Not sure it was worth all the hype though.
Proposition Joe
Watched it tonight. Thought it was good. I think it is somewhat unique in that the format has allowed Hill to potentially reach the masses with tips on how to improve mental health.
K Bo
AG
As someone who has spent extensive time in therapy I thought it was authentic and overall very well done. I didn't really have an opinion on Jonah Hill prior to this but it took some balls to be this vulnerable in front of millions (?) of viewers and I have a great deal of respect for him, now. Stutz was fantastic and I'm interested in reading his books after watching.
Drake aTm
AG
Just watched. Never being to therapy, however he broke a lot of stereotypes you hear. Loved the life force and instant tools he gave to depressed patients (though I thought this was common sense?)

In retrospect I guess working on your life force may not always be obvious to some. Cool film, wife liked it.

I give it 4 bags of popcorn
LMCane
really enjoyed this documentary

I think Jonah Hill literally dropped out of public life in the last few months

with postings about his mental health
BG Knocc Out
Proposition Joe said:

Watched it tonight. Thought it was good. I think it is somewhat unique in that the format has allowed Hill to potentially reach the masses with tips on how to improve mental health.
He seems to be in the minority group of people who seized the opportunity to better themselves during the pandemic. Dude took to outdoors and surfing like a mofo if I remember correctly. Pot too, I believe.

Looks great.

sts7049
AG
i thought this film was fantastic. watching it almost felt like doing a therapy session myself.

in case anyone missed it at the end, the tools talked about in the film are online for re-reading

https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/stutz-the-tools
Ghost91
Sorry, but can someone explain what is 'RT' and what is being talked about here? I don't follow, but want to.
sts7049
AG
RT is rotten tomatoes...the movie review site.
Know Your Enemy
AG
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/psychologist-warned-jonah-hills-therapists-081500891.html

This has been back in the news lately due to the Jonah Hill mess with his ex. Might change a few opinions on the doc now in light of recent events.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
What are your thoughts on that? I get the outrage brigade's point about his texts (he could have expressed his feelings more effectively than he did), but I really don't see the issue with someone not being comfortable with their girlfriend acting like she is still single on social media.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

What are your thoughts on that? I get the outrage brigade's point about his texts (he could have expressed his feelings more effectively than he did), but I really don't see the issue with someone not being comfortable with their girlfriend acting like she is still single on social media.

He was trying to control her under the guise of setting boundaries. Some of it was legit though which makes it confusing. But she's also bat **** crazy for making all that public the way she did.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Yeah he probably should have just broken it off, people don't change until they lose.
Proposition Joe
Know Your Enemy said:

Definitely Not A Cop said:

He was trying to control her under the guise of setting boundaries. Some of it was legit though which makes it confusing. But she's also bat **** crazy for making all that public the way she did.

This.

At least she has somewhat of an excuse that she's immature at 26.

Jonah's pushing 40 acting like his "issues from growing up" give him a pass to try and be controlling.
GoAgs92
AG
Dude was a goofy fat guy most of his life, his insecurities come through in those texts.
bonfarr
AG
I like Hill as an actor and even enjoyed the film he directed, Mid 90's, but does anyone else get a Shia LaBoeuf vibe creeping up with him like he is about to crack?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.