John Williams: The Berlin Conert

827 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Recorded it this weekend from PBS, got around to watching it and it's great.
He did a series of shows there with the Berlin Philharmonic. Hearing his music with that level of talent behind him really does justice to how amazing he is, well worth the watch or buy. It's being replayed on the local PBS station this weekend, but don't know about other markets.
So much movie nostalgia in it and an catalogue that's beyond deep.
Ryan the Temp
AG
John Williams is objectively one of the greatest composers to ever live, and not just because of his amazing body of work. There are likely millions of people who are musicians, composers, arrangers, and the like who were directly inspired by him to do what they do. I'm one of them, and two of my favorite movies of all time were scored by Williams.

When we look at (small c) classical music, it has been losing popularity over the last 50 years, but Williams really shifted what it meant to be a composer and the reasons for composing. The ability to focus composing solely on film, TV, and video games is turning the page for instrumental music and building interest in a new audience. Berklee College of Music offers a degree specifically in composing for film, TV, and video games. Films presented in concert with a live orchestra playing the score (particularly Williams scores) are some of the biggest money makers large orchestras have these days.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Ryan the Temp
AG
Incidentally, I'm playing Hymn to the Fallen and The March from 1941 on Veterans Day.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Music you might not know was also written by John Williams

NFL Sunday Night Football on NBC

NBC Nightly News (1985) Theme called "The Mission"
4 movements used by various programs over the years, including the opening to "Meet the Press" at 7:15

Soundtrack for Fiddler on the Roof, which features violinist Isaac Stern, who was the John WIlliams of the violin, or as Sammy Kershaw would say, the Charlie Daniels of the torque wrench.

And one you probably do, the Olympic Fanfare. I play this sometimes when the dogs come in from outside. It annoys the **** out of my wife.

Life is better with a beagle
jorgerr96

I saw him in September at the Hollywood Bowl and it was amazing. Apparently he does those shows every year, well worth going for.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Going way back to his TV days, he wrote the themes for Lost in Space and Land of the Giants. He also wrote the music for Gilligan's Island.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Listening to Hook right now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.