***** Texags Movie of the Week: Rosemary's Baby *****

1,317 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
powerbelly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are going to lean into the Halloween season with Rosemary's Baby.

From now (10/5) until 10/09 this thread will be spoilers-free. Please do not ruin any of these movies. On 10/10 we will open up for spoilers.

I believe this is currently streaming on Paramount+

Avoid this trailer if you want to go in completely blind:

IMDB Link

Movie of the week thread (for reference)
C@LAg
you should have put the week/date indicator in the thread title so it is easier to monitor the various threads ad understand the order.

but now you can't.
Big Cat `93
AG
Ruth Gordon creeped me right out.
jkag89
Ooh a good one. Might be nice to have Halloween themed films for October.
jkag89
C@LAg said:

you should have put the week/date indicator in the thread title so it is easier to monitor the various threads ad understand the order.

but now you can't.
Staff can edit thread titles, they have been nice enough to fix my errors on the baseball board when I asked.
AgBQ-00
AG
Have never seen this one. The genre is not one I ever watched much so will be completely new to me
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
This is one I have never seen. I remember my parents talking about it when I was pretty young. I can't imagine they actually went to see this, but who knows? I was 1 when it came out, so the conversation I am recalling must have come when the movie aired on TV, maybe around 1972.

I plan to watch it this weekend, but not sure if my wife is going to be interested.
#FJB
BenFiasco14
AG
I've seen it. A true classic that holds up pretty well in my opinion.

However, it may not seem very original to you or may wonder what the hype is/was. It's one of those instances where Rosemarys Baby influenced so much of what you've probably seen and/or been referenced contemporarily.

Worth a watch for sure though!
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Tanya 93
BenFiasco14 said:

I've seen it. A true classic that holds up pretty well in my opinion.

However, it may not seem very original to you or may wonder what the hype is/was. It's one of those instances where Rosemarys Baby influenced so much of what you've probably seen and/or been referenced contemporarily.

Worth a watch for sure though!

Very much influenced modern horror
Tanya 93
And Mia Farrow is gorgeous in this movie.
DallasTeleAg
I generally don't like horror movies... we'll see how this goes. I'm going to go in to this, blind.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Gd it. Managed to get my hands on a Paramount+ account, but apparently this movie is only for Showtime subscribers. Ugh.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Maybe the best way to watch this one will be to rent it for a few bucks?
powerbelly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Gd it. Managed to get my hands on a Paramount+ account, but apparently this movie is only for Showtime subscribers. Ugh.
We may have to pivot if not enough people can get access.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
It can be rented via iTunes for $4, or $3 on Amazon Prime.
#FJB
cbr
AG
Interesting. Never heard of it and dont usually do horror so it will be a high bar but i'll go in open minded.
Dr. Spaceman
One of my favorites. Older horror classics are very hit or miss for me and this one is fantastic. I only have one major gripe but it's a small part of the movie so still give it a solid A
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Watched this last night with the wife. I'll hold my thoughts until the embargo is lifted.
#FJB
gigemags-99
AG
Been a long time since I've seen this one. I'll watch again for sure. Maybe I'll watch this instead of the other horror show tonight (A&M v Bama)
powerbelly
AG
Spoilers are now allowed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Had to skip this one out due to it not being on Paramount+ and not having my own Prime account to rent it on.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
The wife and I watched on Friday evening.

When it ended, we both said, "That sucked". Boring movie. Nothing terrifying about it at all. Didn't even really get to see the devil baby that she delivered.
#FJB
Robert L. Peters
You want horror? Read about what the director did to that 13 year old girl and then how Hollywood forgave him and celebrates him. Not enough? Learn about how his pregnant wife ended up.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think everyone knows about both of those.
BurnetAggie99
7 day free trial for Showtime if your a Amazon Prime member
Engine10
AG
Freely admit I've never seen Rosemarys Baby (gonna change that this year!), but this obscure reference wastes more space in my head than it deserves:

Quote:

Benedict : Gentlemen. Since you are about to die anyway, I may as well tell you the entire plot. Think of villains Jack. You want Dracula? Dra-cool-la? Hang on
[takes out the ticket]
Benedict : , I'll fetch him. Dracula? Huh. I can get King Kong! We'll have a nightmare with Freddy Krueger, have a surprize party for Adolf Hitler, Hannibal Lecter can do the catering, and then we'll have christening for Rosemary's Baby! All I have to do is snap my fingers and they'll be here. They're lining up to get here, and do you know why Jack? Should I tell you why? Hmm? Because here, in this world, the bad guys can win!

powerbelly
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

The wife and I watched on Friday evening.

When it ended, we both said, "That sucked". Boring movie. Nothing terrifying about it at all. Didn't even really get to see the devil baby that she delivered.
I think this is one of those movies that doesn't hold up, but is the foundation for so much that came later in the genre.

I'm not a huge horror fan, but it feels like one of those foundational movies.

One thing that stuck out to me: The OB is Dr. Sapirstein and the OB in Parks and Rec is Dr. Saperstein. I can't imagine that is a coincidence.
jkag89
This is a movie that definitely won't be everyone's cup of tea. I enjoyed this movie but its not a must see classic film, not even a must see classic of the horror genre, The films strengths are excellent performances by Mia Farrow & Ruth Gordon, it has a very eerie (creepy) sense of humor and does a fantastic job creating Rosemary's sense of helplessness, dread and building paranoia during her pregnancy. I think a modern direction of the film it would probably have ended differently with Rosemary lashing out instead of accepting her role as the child's nurturing mother.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

The films strengths are excellent performances by Mia Farrow & Ruth Gordon, it has a very eerie (creepy) sense of humor and does a fantastic job creating Rosemary's sense of helplessness, dread and building paranoia during her pregnancy.
I'll agree with all of that. I guess I just needed something to happen.

One of my favorites is The Thing, a movie that is all about dread, paranoia, and dis-trust, but all of that around a few sequences with alien sightings, etc, that gave the movie a kick of adrenaline. RB just gave us a look at a woman's life while dealing with her pregnancy with some weird neighbors and a 60s sex scene in what she thinks is a dream.
#FJB
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.