***Netflix - Facing Nolan***

6,380 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by will25u
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This looks pretty good!

Anyone watched it yet?

BadMoonRisin
AG
Wow this looks great. In!
Eso si, Que es
I got to see it during its theatrical release in Arlington, wearing Astros gear, surrounded by the enemy. We had a good time going back and forth with everyone.

It is a great show, so many awesome stories and guest interviews.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I'm in. A little triggered at the title picture being Nolan in an Astros jersey though.
schmendeler
AG
It's the most fitting
Definitely Not A Cop
AG

Someone had to start it.
Rex Racer
AG
Loved watching Nolan pitch. I went years without knowing this, but he was cousins with my two best friends' mother (who was also really good friends with my mom). Her maiden name was Ryan. One time she went to visit her mom in the hospital, and Nolan was there visiting, too. Small world.
safety guy
AG
Watched last night. Awesome show. I wish they had talked about his career after playing. Steering the Rangers to back to back series and watching the Astros win their series. The funniest thing was biggio being giggly about catching Ryan. All around a totally well made movie and for folks that lived in Houston or Dallas, a lot of locals.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Any mention of snow monkeys?
maroon barchetta
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Someone had to start it.

Crash Davis would not approve of him using his pitching hand to throw punches.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Saw this in a theater earlier this year. Was great.
#FJB
BadMoonRisin
AG
Wow, this is great. I got to see him start a few times in the early 90's with the Texas Rangers when I was 5 or 6, but looking back its kind of funny because at that time he was in his mid-40's at the time. When you're as young as I was, you assume anyone of adult age is just an adult.

So to a lot of the starting players on their team, it was kind of like having their dad up there pitching for them.

That must have been a strange feeling. Like you're cheating at backyard ball.

And then Robin Ventura (who was born 4 years after Nolan's first No hitter) charges the mound after some chin-music and your dad beats the **** out of him.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Mother F. My father passed away earlier this year and he would have LOVED this show. If it was a carrot he'd have figured out how to acquire and use Netflix on his own, technology be damned.

Watching this tonight.
Take the trash out staff.
AggieOO
Watched it this evening. Thought it was fantastic.
AustinAg2K
I'll never forget going to see Nolan in the Dome as a kid. It's true when they say his pitches made a different sound when they hit the catcher's mitt. I remember being there early watching him warm up, and the sound was echoing throughout the Dome. It had to be intimidating for the opposing team to hear that.
oragator
Will watch, he was really inconsistent at times, but when he was on, there was nothing like it in sport, let alone baseball. Just beyond dominant when he has his stuff. People talk about the 7 no hitters, he also had 12 one hitters and 18 two hitters. And threw a 108 MPH pitch, which is still easily the fastest ever, and that was in 1974.
dave99ag
AG
Great show! The Cy-Young thing baffles me and well, all the hall of famers too.
Bird Poo
AG
Highly recommend this show.

His demeanor certainly contributes to the legend. Just a fantastic all-around guy doing his job as best he can.
Psychag
AG
So many records that will never be broken. One of my favorite parts was Randy Johnson telling his # of strikeouts (#2 behind Ryan) and chuckling as he said he's 1000 behind Ryan. Texas Legend.
astros4545
AG
oragator said:

And threw a 108 MPH pitch, which is still easily the fastest ever, and that was in 1974.

Ummmmmm, not sure just because the catcher feels it went 108, doesnt mean it did
Unemployed
AG
Ruth Ryan was a hottie back in the day.
LeonardSkinner
astros4545 said:

oragator said:

And threw a 108 MPH pitch, which is still easily the fastest ever, and that was in 1974.

Ummmmmm, not sure just because the catcher feels it went 108, doesnt mean it did

At one point in the documentary, they say that when adjusted for technology, Ryan's 100.9 was actually 108.
Bregxit
AG
astros4545 said:

oragator said:

Watch the doc called Fastball. It explains all of it.
MarkW91
Pretty cool moment during the movie, which is excellent by the way.

Nolie was a hero of mine growing up, as was my dad. We happened to go to the fifth no hitter together (I was 11 or so). First base side great seats. My dad passed away last year - great memories, great man. So I'm watching the show this past weekend and boom, freeze the frame, and there on the screen are my dad and me! Goose bumps, a wow moment, and just a cool memory.

Loved watching nolie pitch. Oh, by the way, my second favorite ball player - terry puhl, who made the catch. And I got to meet him years later, with my dad, playing in the annual Astros charity golf tournament. He was the Astro on our foursome. Really cool to see him in the film too.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Was at that 5th no-no as well. Was a spur of the moment decision to go to the game. I just remember my dad asking what I wanted to do on that Saturday. I wasn't much of a football fan yet in those days (I had just started high school), there weren't any movies showing that I wanted to see, so I answered lets go to the Astros game. Little did I know ...

Still have the ticket stubs to that game, thanks to my Dad. At the time I didn't recognize the significance of what Nolan had done that day, but Dad did.
#FJB
Aggies76
AG
My husband was interviewing Nolan for Progressive Farmer magazine. He had been trying to get in touch with Nolan over the phone but had not been able to make contact. One day I answered the phone and it was Nolan himself on the line, just as casual and friendly as your best friend.

He provided our family of 4 with great tickets to a Rangers game, and told us where to stand during warmups so that he could meet our boys and sign autographs. I'll never forget the anticipation we had as we were watching Nolan during warmups and then he just casually walked over to us and signed cards and baseballs for our 2 sons. You can imagine the crush of the crowd around us. What a great day that we will all remember forever.

Thanks for the heads up about this Netflix show. Can't wait to watch it.
Diggity
AG
Love all these stories. Keep em up!
schmendeler
AG
Finally watched it myself last night. Pretty cool to have one of those mythical figures from your childhood be as amazing when viewed well after their playing days are over. Dude is/was a legend!
Marauder Blue 6
AG
"Robin Ventura declined to be interviewed for this film."

P***y.
maroon barchetta
Rome asking Nolan about Ventura was a funny exchange.

https://www.stucknut.com/takebox/id/a4b
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Fun fact - Robin Ventura is the only batter in history to be hit six times in one at bat.
Ornithopter
AG
I still have my newspaper with the photo of Ventura in a headlock.

Is there a way to get Nolan to sign it?
Whos Juan
AG
Nolan Ryan struck out 7 major league baseball players who went on to have sons grow up to also be struck out by Nolan Ryan.
Pahdz
Whos Juan said:

Nolan Ryan struck out 7 major league baseball players who went on to have sons grow up to also be struck out by Nolan Ryan.
Pahdz
Dave Winfield is one of the LAST dudes I'd want charging the mound at me
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.