Rewatched Breaking Bad - Some Thoughts

3,690 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by aTmAg
dbryanc87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With BCS just ending I decided to do my first rewatch of BB over the last month. Originally I binged the first 4 seasons and watched the 5th season live week to week, so it has been a long time since I've watched each episode. I also didn't follow any TexAgs threads at the time, so apologies if these thoughts are redundant.

1. The first season is worse than I remembered. Not quite sure how to put it, it just feels awkward. It goes from really boring to liquefied guts falling through the ceiling. I can definitely see how someone watching for the first time would stop and question why the show is rated so highly. Once Tuco gets involved it feels like the show finally starts to take off.

2. Oh my God, Marie and purple! I noticed it the first time through, but far more laughable on rewatch. That has got to be an inside joke with Gilligan or something.

3. With everything that happens in season 4 and 5, I feel like parts of season 3 are underappreciated, at least for me they were. I thought the end of Half Measure where Walt runs over the meth dealers was one of his most badass moments. The cousins trying to kill Hank, Hank finding the RV with Jesse and Walt inside, "Your boss is gonna need me!", so many great moments in that season.

4. I know the story arc is Walt breaking bad, but there seems to be a pretty distinct period to me when Walt "officially" becomes the bad guy season 4 right after Crawl Space. Before that he was Walt with Heisenberg moments that I still had a shred of rooting interest in, but after that he was Heisenberg 24/7 until after he gets vacuumed. He tried to get his family out during Crawl Space but the money was gone, so he manipulates Jesse by poisoning Brock and is officially off the deep end. Prior to this a lot of what he does is a move with the intention of keeping him, his family, and Jesse alive. After this moment he continually manipulates everyone just to build his empire. Just a different feel.

5. Did Brock ever know it was Walt that poisoned him? There are multiple scenes of them throughout season 5 where Brock appears to be uncomfortable with Walt. Seems like he'd say something if he knew Walt poisoned him, but maybe Walt threatened him?

6. Seeing more of Mike's back story in BCS made his death in BB that much more infuriating. And Walt did it for basically no reason.

7. Regardless of how annoying or hypocritical the character may be, Anna Gunn did a terrific job of playing Skyler.

8. The second half of season 4 through season 5 is some of the best, most intense TV that has ever been created. Just brilliant.

TL: DR Yes this is still on the mantle of best show in television history.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Funny. I only have a few episodes left to complete my most recent re-watch. I don't necessarily agree with your season 1 analysis but I kind of forgot how great season 2 was. Now that BCS is over it definitely changes how I view BB a little (in a good way). Still my favorite show of all time with BCS a **** hair behind.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
That's a lot of words, OP
Bruce Almighty
AG
My opinion:

Season 1: okay, didn't understand the hype.
Season 2: better, not great, still didn't understand the hype..
Season 3: really good, ended amazing
Season 4: great, now understand the hype
Season 5: even better than season 4, only show I can think of that got better every season.

Overall, probably not in my top 5, but pretty close.
CubbieAggie
AG
I agree with you on season 1. I started watching on Netflix around when season 4 was airing. Took me six months to get through the first season, but the end was good enough to get me to keep watching. Season 2 got me hooked, and I binged 2-4 in a couple weeks.

I vividly remember watching the end to Half Measures the first time. That's the moment Breaking Bad went from really good show to an all time great for me.
Eso si, Que es
Awesome timing.

Just finished rewatch tonight and looked for a thread. My wife watched it for first time with me over the last month. So many great episodes.

I still love season 1, it shows them being such bumbling idiots, making so many missteps.

The series pulls no punches, shows a person truly breaking bad. There is no question WW was a decent man who is ultimately consumed by pride and ego. He thinks his motives are pure all the way through the phone call with Jr in penultimate episode "granite state". He thinks doing it for the family makes it all just and right.

Everyone carries multiple deadly sins within them and the potential to break bad, are we able to keep them at bay or not? Walter could not.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Ambien
Show has me sawing logs in 10 minutes or less
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Did Shelley ever get you your money back?
MookieBlaylock
AG
No he suddenly got amnesia
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Lol of course
Max Power
AG
The only way I'll do a re-watch of that show is if they re-release it with Skylar and Marie completely removed. I can't deal with either of those two characters. They throw a wet blanket right on top of every scene they appear in.
uujm
I did a rewatch awhile back. Makes you look at Walt a different way knowing what he is capable of from the beginning.
JDUB08AG
AG
The ending scene in crawl space was one of my favorites. When he is under the house laughing hysterically knowing what just happened with the money was anxiety inducing! The music sequence in that scene was perfect and ominous.
Eso si, Que es
JDUB08AG said:

The ending scene in crawl space was one of my favorites. When he is under the house laughing hysterically knowing what just happened with the money was anxiety inducing! The music sequence in that scene was perfect and ominous.
The theme music at the end of "Granite State" just hits different! When the cops are walking up to the bar and he gets away to return to Albuquerque. Instant chills when it fires up.

Malibu
Wait, season one is boring? Are you and I remembering the same show? A dorky chemistry teacher using science poison to kill one drug dealer and paralyze another named Crazy 8 during a shoot out and then eventually strangling the survivor to death with a bike lock before Crazy 8 could kill him with a ceramic shard was boring to you?
fightinags2013
AG
No discussion of "Fly"
Very disappointed
DallasTeleAg
It was a good show, but I would not put it at #1 show in history.
javajaws
AG
fightinags2013 said:

No discussion of "Fly"
Very disappointed

I rewatched the whole series a couple weeks ago and the fly episode left me laughing my ass off. I had totally forgot about it since my original watch many years ago.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
aTmAg
AG
Malibu2 said:

Wait, season one is boring? Are you and I remembering the same show? A dorky chemistry teacher using science poison to kill one drug dealer and paralyze another named Crazy 8 during a shoot out and then eventually strangling the survivor to death with a bike lock before Crazy 8 could kill him with a ceramic shard was boring to you?
This reminds me of some guy on Texags who claimed to stop watching at the end of season 3 because it was "boring". Which means, he watched Jesse shoot Gale in the face and concluded "I'm out... That was boring". The guy was simply bad a trolling.
oragator
cr0wbar
AG
Going through a rewatch as well. Some scatter points:
I forgot how many "yeah, science!" moments Walt had in the early seasons. Thermite, Tuco poison, charging the RV battery, etc. Totally forgot Heisenberg was end of season 1. Fugue state was hilariously awesome. Saul's introduction episode was so good. Kristen Ritter's screen time was much shorter than I remember. We're introduced to Mike when Jane died- he looks so young and he's got a pep in his step.

Pizza Roof early S3. Also- I know it's fun to hate Skylar. But from her viewpoint she's being gaslit so hard and it's impossible not to feel for her in her shoes. Anna Gunn was tremendous. Finished Fly (directed by Rian Johnson) and it's funny and kinda heartwarming- you get to see Walt's OCD. The amount of Yacht Rock (especially in Spanish) are fun finds. About to start Half Measures (Wendy intro)

aTmAg
AG
Quote:

The amount of Yacht Rock (especially in Spanish) are fun finds.
I don't know what this is talking about. Can you explain?
cr0wbar
AG

This might be the 2nd or 3rd time I've noticed - but in S3E11 "Abiquiu" Chicago's 'Saturday in the Park' is playing in the background of this scene in Spanish. I've also heard some Tejano instrumental versions in waiting rooms or restaurants in previous episodes.

In S3E2 "Caballo Sin Nombre" - Walt is singing America's 'Horse with No Name' driving in his car.

I first noticed it was watching El Camino - where Todd is driving and he's singing Dr Hook's 'Sharing the Night Together'

I remember watching an interview with Vince and Peter Gould that they were fans of the genre.

Okay - that's enough dorking out for me, today.
aTmAg
AG
My issue was that I had never heard the phrase "yacht rock". I was trying to think of a scene with a yacht.

I've learned something today.
cr0wbar
AG
Watched Crawl Space last night. Phenomenal television.

Season 4 started off with a bang with Boxcutter. Then it kind of keeps a lukewarm boil / tension the next 5 episodes. We have a mostly broody and disengaged Jesse Pinkman, an increasingly paranoid Walter, a business-minded Skylar, an obsessive Hank. That last 4 minutes of Crawl Space is so, so good. Skylar's face as Walk proceeds to completely LOSE it - with the phone ringing off the wall to Marie crying about the Cartel. Top 5 BB episode for me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And the show only gets better from here.
Nagler
AG
Skyler annoyed me so bad it kind of ruined the show. I'd like to do a rewatch but the thought of her gives me tired head.
SgtBarbarossa
Nagler said:

Skyler annoyed me so bad it kind of ruined the show. I'd like to do a rewatch but the thought of her gives me tired head.
Yeah, I doubt she'd put in much effort. Now you know how Walt and Ted felt

Edit: misread
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Both are true though.
aTmAg
AG
Skyler annoyed the crap out of me the first time. But I totally see where she is coming from in the 2nd watch on.

Before she figured out he was into drugs, she caught him in lie after lie. Who else would tolerate that in their marriage? Nobody who has any self respect.

The real mistake she made was in not turning him in right away once she discovered the truth. But it is TOTALLY UNDERSTANDABLE why she didn't. Doing so would have destroyed their family. He was probably going to die of cancer soon anyway, and even if it didn't, then it would have been the drug money that saved his life. He would stop and they could repair their marriage.

Once she made that decision, every other remaining decision made 100% sense. She kicked him out to protect the kids. Makes sense. However, he eventually just moved his ass right back in and refused to leave, so she F-ed Ted to try to get him to leave for good.

Skyler is not a beotch. Except for one bad (yet understandable) decision, she is smart and acts how many of us would have acted. It would have been FAR worse, if she was oblivious and the show kept having "close calls" on her figuring it out. That's what every network drama did in the 80s. It was damn refreshing for a show to not depend on every other character being so dumb.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.